Why you should vote YES on 502

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by The HappyCamper, Jul 30, 2012.

1. I see some of you saying you will vote no on 502 because you disagree with certain aspects of the initiative, such as the DUI section and the clause that says you cannot grow.

While I disagree with those too, more so the DUI part, I will still vote YES. Why? Because the general public disagrees with marijuana. Face it. They are fairly ignorant and believe it is a harmful drug that causes DUI's and violence and what not.

Was medical marijuana a perfect thing for stoners? No. But it showed the public marijuana isn't that bad. And we passed it, and now more of the public is on board to take it to the next step. It got our foot in the door, so to speak.

Now we have 502, with an estimated 55% in favor of. We would have NEVER had the 55% if we didn't have medical marijuana. So what happens in a few years, if 502 passes? A new initiative will be set on the table with fixes to the problems of 502. That will pass ONLY if 502 passes.

TLDR: 502 is far from perfect, but it is a step in the process of full legalization. Vote YES.

Also, could I put up signs on the side of streets? What should the signs say? A simple "yes on 502"? And do I need a permit to put up signs?

2. It should say something like "Hate cartels? Vote yes on 502."

3. With all due respect, I do believe in section 65 it states that you CAN grow, without
    any licensing requirements at all.

4. You cannot (recreational) home grow under I-502.

Here is the complete text of I-502, from New Approach Washington's website:
    http://www.newapproachwa.org/sites/newapproachwa.org/files/I-502 bookmarked.pdf

It ends at section 41.

A quick google search on "Secton 65" indicates this was part of House Bill 1550 in Washington State to legalize marijuana, and not I-502.

5. I'm voting yes on it :p

6. I stand corrected :eek:.
    Yes it was 1550 I was reading. Thank you :wave:

7. So that makes it a definite no you cannot home grow if they pass I-502???

And a new once oz limit?

8. #8 BambooBear, Aug 4, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2012
    I-502 makes no change to the current laws regarding personal home growing.

I-502 however does create a licensed "Marijuana producer" that can wholesale to Marijuana processors and other producers.

Well the current legal limit is zero.

Section 20 actually sets the limits:
    We then go to Section 15(3):
    A licensed Marijuana retailer may deliver, distribute, and sale any combination of:
    To a person 21-years or older.

MMJ patients(over 21) are also now protected for these amounts, rather than potentially being arrested for these amounts now and having an affirmative defense in court.

9. now im confused again lol

10. Take 2 then:

If I-502 passes, you will still not be able to home grow.( You could not before, you will not be able to after). I-502 does not change any laws here.

If I-502 passes, the legal amount of possession will rise to 1oz(of usable marijuana, 16oz infused, 72oz liquid), which is in fact new. Current legal limit is zero.

11. Blades, if we get passed this next leg in legalization, we could take it SO much further.

12. I agree. Vote yes. Here's my take: we legalize it in Washington, and no matter what happens, it will have an impact everywhere. I won't repeat the benefits already mentioned, but this will go further to bolster the arguments for legalization in other states as well. Even worse case scenario, the feds come through and SWAT raid us all, can they handle the number of lawsuits that would just start piling up on this subject? I say the ultimate goal is legalization, and this does a pretty good job of getting us closer.

Like you mentioned, it builds a support base for bigger and better, I'm just adding EVERYWHERE. :D

13. Vote Yes:

- Reduce money paid to the cartels and possibly save lives in Mexico
    - Generate some tax dollars
    - Have a local source for bud
    - Keep the money in the state
    - Eliminate the toker stigma

14. I would vote yes if I lived in the state.

But I will be moving up there in December and would love to enjoy the rewards of it passing.

15. It is idiotic to vote no on any of these legalization initiatives because you disagree over minutiae. Let's stop arresting/fining people for it, then we can work out further details in subsequent legislation.

16. Legalize the weed

17. Whoever posted this is either an idiot or a lobbyist. 100% BULLSHIT. The MMJ community are the most "strident' opponents of 502 b/c we are the only ones who have fully read the piece of shit. The only people voting "yes" are the morons who got swayed by a slick advertising campaign to "legalize" and don't realize they are voting in a DUI trojan horse.

If you have fully read 502 and still support it as a cannabis user, you are a straight up fool.

18. [quote name='"BillJ500"']Whoever posted this is either an idiot or a lobbyist. 100% BULLSHIT. The MMJ community are the most "strident' opponents of 502 b/c we are the only ones who have fully read the piece of shit. The only people voting "yes" are the morons who got swayed by a slick advertising campaign to "legalize" and don't realize they are voting in a DUI trojan horse.

If you have fully read 502 and still support it as a cannabis user, you are a straight up fool.[/quote]

Well its illegal to grow anyway for personal use, and you should not drive under heavy influence, regardless of the drug. So even though its not the perfect reform right now,
    Im still happy that the state is taking a step forward, however small it might be.

19. #19 BillJ500, Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
    Anybody who can't get a medical permit in WA, CO or CA is an idiot.

THC testing doesn't show impairment. Daily cannabis users like myself will be over 5ng even 24 hours after last usage!

Here is an article you should read: THC blood test: Pot critic William Breathes nearly 3 times over proposed limit when sober - Denver - News - The Latest Word

And there are many more stories like this on the internet.

The Colorado legislature has voted down the exact per se duid limit laws there the last 3 consecutive years. Senators based their votes against a 5ng per se duid in Colorado stating it was junk science and a violation of the state constitution!

Lastly, NO per se duid limit has EVER been decreased or stricken down after it passes! NONE! So the "let's vote it in and then fix it" argument is total horse crap!

20. Word. It's a foot in the door.