Why pipes/bongs? Whats the advantage?

Discussion in 'Bongs, Dab Rigs, Bubblers, Water Pipes' started by anchor, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Hi everyone, second noob question of the day: so prepare yourselves haha!

I was reading through a load of threads and posts today, and it seems that the majority of people on here use bongs or vaporisers. I'd assume it's because most of the posters are American, so why do Americans favour the bong over the joint?

What's the science (if there is any) over using one method to another? I've always rolled joints because it's compact and all you need can fit I. Your pocket.

Cheers:)

2. Bongs and vaporizers can arguably help conserve your bud. Vaporizers more so than bongs. My personal opinion on joints is they're wasteful. Only time I want my bud to be burning is when I'm taking a rip, with joints a lot of wasted smoke goes into the air.

3. There's a somewhat recent thread in one of the toking tools sections about this question with scientific articles. I'd post the link if i was near a computer but its along the lines of psychoactive chemical absorption for each lung consumption method.
    Also water pipes and especially vaporizers are much less harsh on your lungs too. As a medicine thats a plus for a lot of patients

4. Your lungs have only so much surface area to absorb THC. Which is blocked out by Ash, plant material and other gasses given off by burning the material.

The more you remove the contaminants the more space is in your lungs to absorb THC. Bong/ bubblers do this by removing water soluble contaminants by percolation. The higher the diffusion the less contaminants in your lungs. However, too much causes a loss in flavor which is a preferable and doesn't affect the high

Vaporizers does this by heating the plant material at a temperature high enough to cause the THC and CBD to evaporate off the material without burning or combustion. So the only thing you inhale is water vapor and thc/cbd. Unfortunately some CBD molecules do not evaporate until the material starts to burn. So it will change the high, however since there is nothing else to the vapor most people report getting higher. Since there is still cbd and some thc left in the plant, you can still smoke it after vaping or use the plant matter for cooking.

5. I personally like how bongs hit. It feels so much smoother and there is less smoke waste. I don't use my pipes unless I'm out and about at a street fair or something.

poetry can change the world

6. Well every method of smoking has pros and cons

7. Smoking a joint is a waste of herb because the entire time you aren't dragging on it, you're wasting it. Then you can't smoke 100% of everything you've rolled either, so that wastes even more. With a bong you can position your flame for the amount of smoke you want, pack a bowl for a hit (which most people do), or even with a party bowl you can "cap" the bowl to hold the still burning herb in so you can finish the rest off. This way you virtually waste no herb. Not to mention bongs filtrate many of the harmful things in smoke, chill the smoke, and get you ripped differently and quicker, not to mention more intensely.

8. I prefer joints. I always have, since I started at a young age. Bongs did not become popular until years later. I don't give a shit that I could possibly waste some portion bc of the joint burning while I am inhaling. The joint usually goes out anyway. I hate bongs. I do use one at times though. They do serve their purpose.

Now I vape most of the time bc it's better for my lungs and I've been at this a lot of years. I only use the bong or roll joint if I am at friends' houses and they don't have a vape.

9. This makes no sense whatsoever. Joints don't have any way of "filtering" the smoke, so in no way is it better than a bong. With a joint you burning paper and the herb and take the smoke raw just like in a pipe, so it goes from the end of the joint, through it, into your mouth than lunges. With a bong it goes through the downstem into the water, out through the bubblers, into the chamber, then your lunges.
    Not to mention saying that joints are less wasteful than using a bong completely annihilates common sense. In no way possible can you get the maximum amount of smoke equal to that of using a bong with a joint. It's simply not possible. You can smoke a joint to the very back of it because it burns, and gets difficult to hold, and the entire time you're not dragging on it it's still burning. With a bong you can inhale until the flame goes out, or cap it and leave the rest of the smoke in the bowl to finish off after your hit. I don't believe that post in anything it says besides that vaporizers are the healthiest choice for your lunges.

10. Can't*
    Sorry for the typos, auto-correct is being difficult.

11. How about reading the scientific articles in it to see if you actually believe in the science behind it. Reading a summary of someones post then making up your mind is retarded, find the info yourself and see what you believe.

I think its credible and I can understand why the Tar/THC ratio i increases in bongs vs joints. I mistyped on the efficiency. Bongs deliver about 40% of the loaded THC, joints about 20-25% thc. 

12. Sorry but I don't need "scientific data" to tell you that bongs are better than joints in all aspects. If you change your water out every other day like I do, then the carcinogens that become filtered through the water won't build up.