Why not be Agnostic?

Discussion in 'Religion, Beliefs and Spirituality' started by thccrystals, Jun 7, 2004.

1. That's like... a HUGE part of what I believe.

Following ANY religion is stupid.

You people NEED, DESPERATELY need to stop assuming bullshit. I never said I believed in God, or that I follow any religion and I can't for the life of me figure out why the hell you think I do. Especially when I've talked about my pro-Satanist stance in two threads, TWO threads.

(Note: Anton LaVeys Satanism is not a religion, but a philosophy, of which I borrow ideas from and adapt them to my own collection of ideas that work for me)

Following any one religion is rediculous, as it blinds you and prevents you from exploring other avenues.

Being Agnostic is limiting yourself to NOT exploring the ideas presented to you as well. Note: If you do infact ponder the existance of god then you are not Agnostic.

Being agnostic, i/e not denying or accepting the existance of god eludes to not thinking about things, or ignoring it. Ignoring leads to ignorance. Ignorance leads to stupidity. Ignorance itself isnt' bad because it's simply a lack of knowledge about something. We ARE all ignorant to whether God exists or not, but that doesn't mean that we have to be ignorant to the POSSIBILITIES that explain whether he does or doesn't. But ignorance does lead to stupidity. The kind of stupidity that has been exemplified in this thread by people who tried desperately to grasp what I was saying, but each failing miserably on various levels.

My reason for replying to this thread in the first place is to explain why I do not call myself Agnostic.

Note that I also denied the title "Athiest".

If your brain allows you/is capable, TRY and remember far back enough to where I said "Following any one religion is stupid".

That ALSO applies to any ONE school of thought.

Each and every one of us owes it to ourselves to explore every possible avenue of thought to find exactly what we relate to, what works for us. That does not mean finding the "right" religion for you, because everything EVERYTHING has flaws, and everything has something right. It's your job to find out what's right and wrong for you in everything you can and find out how it can, and whether it SHOULD apply to your life.

Being Agnostic means that you have made the concious decision to make god and religion NOT a part of your life. You're made the choice to say "I'll find out when I'm dead. Untill then I'm not thinking about it." which I have not seen anyone in this thread say, which means none of you are Agnostic. But being Agnostic really is fine because it's not up to me to choose what's right for you. I'm just giving you MY stance on it. That's all. And even if my opinion were valid to anyone but me, why the hell should oyu be pissed that I said that "complacant fag" remark? it doesn't matter. It's just what I think. It has no impact on you.

2. I'm sorry, but that's the worst crap I've read today.

Yes, we do. We don't know if he exists, so we try to find out.

I call myself agnostic, but I haven't made a conscious desicion to not make religion part of my life! Think a bit...there are other ways, too. I can't accept a god on the basis of faith and faith only. So you can say I'm insecure, I don't belive now, but I may be convinced later. That's what it's about for me. Therefore I don't DENY a god, as the atheists do.

You ask me, there's 3 possibilities

1. You belive in god
    2. You belive there's no god
    3. You're not sure

And what do we call these 3?

1. Religion
    2. Atheism
    3. Agnosticism

You, Stanton, seem to have found a 4. alternative, but you still haven't told us despite several encouragements...would you please?

3. Haven't told you what?

4. Try reading my post. You say you're not agnostic and you're not religious. Ateist? Or in case not...what's the 4. alternative?

5. Nothing.

These titles are rediculous to me.

If I were Athiest I would avidly refuse the existance of God and explain to people exactly why I don't, and they shouldn't believe in god. and while I DON'T believe in god, as a being, or under the name of god or what would fit as "god", I don't find it my place to tell peopel there isn't one.

If I were Agnostic I would (as far as I'm concerned) put the entire thought out of my head.

The fourth option is the only option. And that is that there is no option. Because there is no label. If you read my post you'll see the exact detail of my beliefs. There's no name for it because it's everything that I've ever found that I hold true to myself. Not one concept, not one group of concents.

6. All I wanted to point out is that you prob'ly misunderstood the concept of being agnostic. It doen't mean you just put the entire thought out of yer head. We DO think about all this stuff. You say agnostics don't argue about the existance of god. You act lke we are a bunch of morons that either chose to not care to think about the matter or are too dumb to do that.

You're wrong. We do search for a god. And we do search for proof against the existance of god. But as long as there's no proof, we can't tell which one's right.

And btw. you've told us what you DON'T belive in. And that was religion. And atheism. I'm not trying to label you. I understand you do think about things. And so do we who are agnostic. Please understand this.

7. It would take endless time to tell you everything I believe in, and you're really not interested so what's the point?

Also: I'm not trying to down you by saying these things, (the fag thing was, but that was then. This is now. That's like a three day difference. I mean, come on)

Being agnostic is to neither accept nor deny the existance of god. anything you do otherwise has nothing to do with being agnostic. I don't care if you search for god or not. It's not part of being agnostic. It's a title not a religion.

You might be agnostic but your searching for god or not isn't part of it. Your neither believing in or denying god is.

8. I do disagree on this one. But let's just agree to disagree on that.

But one thing though...you just admitted that I'm an agnostic AND I do think about things. So do other agnostics. So please stop calling us "complacent fag who lets life pass by". You just admitted that you were wrong there

9. Who cares what I said?

I contradict myself CONSTANTLY. Herb and transcendental meditation are both extremely focused on the loss/depletion of immediate memory, leaving us living in the absolute present and not the past or future.

This is now. I don't care what I said yestereday or five minutes ago.

Infact, I might deny ever having this conversation.

But while we're here I'll ask you this. Why do you keep ignoring everything I say except for what you can argue with?

10. OK...do you really mean that? Should we disregard everything you said yesterday? How can you participate in a discussion and at the same time say your arguments are not valid?

N I don't ignore everything you said. I just argue with what I think is wrong in yer arguments.

11. What I'm telling you is that I don't know if my opinion is still going to be effective later on.

Three days ago when I called agnostics complacent fags I didn't know whether I'd still think the same way today.

Ideas opinions and thoughts are constantly changing and being added to and subtracted from. They're never the same as before.

That doesn't mean you should disregard everything I say, but it does mean that you should accept the fact that my opinion is valid to noone but me, and might not even be valid to ME later. Just because I state my opinion as fact doesn't mean it is. It is to me (right now), but absolutely not to you.

I'm constantly learning and so are you. There's always a way to change your mind or reinforce what's already in it. Example, if an athiest met god he'd stop being athiest. So all his anti-god arguements of the moments before would be useless wastes of time in retrospect.

12. I'm disgustingly exhausted so I hope that if you're going to respond you do it soon.

13. Well now, that's a good point. All I wanted is to show that an agnostic as myself does think.

Now...I just rolled a good one. Gonna light it in 5 min. You with me? Let's get ripped simultaneously. 's 4:20!

14. I'm dry.

That's why I'm the cynic.

Good night, have fun, see you after the next performance!

15. Oh fuck...yer in a different time zone. And yer empty. Hope ye get some weed soon...

see ya

16. I don't know about you guys but I see God in everything. I see God in every aspect of earth and my being. I also see God in the people I love. People think of God as some ultimate being, which by a thoughtless and generic definition, thats just what God is. I see God as more than that. I'm coming to believe that this whole God and Satan thing is more methaphor than anything. While I don't deny God nor Satan's existance because I believe they exist. I question our logic and belief of what they mean to us and what they truly are.

17. *nope, no name calling*

-krazi

Was it that bad? Sounds like censorship to me. Now I don't know the whole meaning of this original post.

18. So maybe you don't really see "God" in everything, like you stated, especially if you don't even know what you mean by "God." I think you mean you see everything as a miracle, meaning you realize the slim chances everything that is has overcome.

Like what exactly do you mean when you say you see "God in the people" you love. What does that even mean?

19. If one more person calls someone a name I'm gonna start deleting posts and the thread might end up closed. This is a good discussion so please don't make me do that.

20. *i said no insults*

-krazi