why is the world so Facebook obsessed?

Discussion in 'General' started by juliehead, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Someone explain it to me. I personally have never made a facebook account, in fact I try to avoid it just so I'm not a fraction of the herd, which is difficult because it literally is EVERYWHERE.

From a psychological perspective: why are people so obsessed with Facebook? People check it everyday and constantly upload the best photos of themselves. Sometimes I think Facebook is like a High School Reunion, except you don't have to show up in person so you can control the way you appear to others. You know how people are always so concerned about "looking their best"? Something like that. I know Facebook it's a great way to connect and talk to people. Especially old friends and acquaintances you probably would not have been able to touch base with. And I think that's cool. But it seems the majority of people are just obsessed with it. And more to the point: how they appear in it. I see so many people uploading the best photos of themselves which are not even realistic representations. Self photo after self photo of the edited, photoshopped and beautified version of themselves.

And what about privacy? Why are people so nonchalant with posting personal information on the WWW where anyone and everyone can see it? Facebook legally owns all the information you post to their website. The only theory I have is that people are like sheep and they follow the herd. A few years ago everyone had MySpace and Facebook was an unheard if entity... When the herd started transitioning to Facebook, everyone followed. Right?
    Any thoughts?

2. I have an FB... but i never use it. My friends will get pissed at me for not responding to their posts or they ask me if i saw what they put up. I say the same thing everytime. I don't use my facebook It's fucking stupid. Get a real life. Go outside and live.

3. I'm one of those people who go on their way too much. Although I rarely upload photos and could care less about those. I'm thinking of deleting it though, everything is going to twitter now lol.

I remember when Twitter was for famous people, now it's like people have to make a tweet every 10 minutes about some stupid shit. Never saw the point in Twitter for normal people.

4. People always want to connect and feel involved with other people. kinda simple as that. businesses love it because its free advertising. privacy LOL whats that. people dont care or think about what they post. People are rather dumb

5. because we live in a digital age and facebook is a really good way to interface with friends

6. I use facebook pretty often. I don't "love" FB, and I dont "hate" it either. I just use is as a tool, to keep in touch with friends I don't see often, to keep in touch with family that lives in other states. And I've also won a few things off of facebook so that's always sweet... won a 100 dollar gift card to a steak house and won a case of Dr pepper. lol neither one is that big of a thing but were nice suprises.

What does piss me off about facebook though is what skeletor said. I hate when people will say things like "oh you saw what I posted on facebook right?" or they will just assume in a conversation that I've seen what they posted....... No, I didn't see your post on facebook. I don't have time to look at every post one of my friends makes. Get over yourself.

And it also pisses me off when people get mad/upset if you don't respond to their messages on facebook or posts. I have a cousin who messaged me on FB the other week asking me to house sit... when I didn't respond in a few days she got bitchy, asked me if I was "ignoring her".

No I'm not fucking ignoring you... if it's something important call me or text me or talk to me in person. Dont rely on facebook and then get pissed when I dont respond back right away. I often forget that FB even has private messages, and then when I check my inbox I'll have 10-15 old messages that I never read. ooops lol

7. You dont have to put what you dont want people knowing.
    I love how people are anti something just because a lot of people use it. Dont get mre wrong. I deleted mine a couple of years ago. I recently made a new one. Im being very selective who i let on my friends list. I think its silly but there is a lot of people ftom highschool i wouldnt mind seeing/talking to again. I stayed so distanced from people.
    Why be on gc or any other social networking site. Theyre all the same remember :rolleyes:

8. i deleted my fb, i can keep in touch with family through a weird old ass invention called the TELEPHONE. Its weird i can like, call someone from anywhere in the world and like talk to them, and have a real conversation. Its fucking CRAZY!!

Plus everyone just complains about how their white middle class suburban life is so difficult, and how their parents don't let them go out, and make them do things instead of sit around. Its really like a window that shows how ungrateful and selfish most of western civilization is. So i dispise it and keep in touch using the TELEPHONE.

9. Exactly, and for me anyway when someone mentions a post I might say something like "no I didnt see it what did it say"

"Just go on and look!"

"YOU'RE RIGHT INFRONT OF ME JUST FUCKING TELL ME"

10. Okay. So its main purpose is entertainment/socializing. Right?
    That's reasonable. But its concerning when I see someone who has built this huge Facebook ego, (interacting more with people on Facebook than in real life, tons of photoshopped pictures that look nothing like them) like the Facebook them isnt the same person as the irl them.

11. #11 juliehead, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
    [quote name='"Simplyblunted"']You dont have to put what you dont want people knowing.
    I love how people are anti something just because a lot of people use it. Dont get mre wrong. I deleted mine a couple of years ago. I recently made a new one. Im being very selective who i let on my friends list. I think its silly but there is a lot of people ftom highschool i wouldnt mind seeing/talking to again. I stayed so distanced from people.
    Why be on gc or any other social networking site. Theyre all the same remember :rolleyes:[/quote]

I never said I'm anti Facebook. I said I don't understand it. And the gc forum isn't really that comparable to fb, this site is informative and I have yet to meet a grasscity addict.

12. #12 Stride420, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012
    [quote name='"juliehead"']

I have yet to meet a grasscity addict.[/quote]

Im pretty sure there are blades on here that do nothing but smoke weed all day and browse the forums.

But seriously facebook is killing face to face interaction. If facebook up and disappeared tomorrow I would have no problem about it. Although I have a facebook I never really post anything. It's really annoying how people are so caught up in it and take it to the heart if you don't reply to a message or even say happy birthday on their wall when it's their birthday. It's like if you were really an important person to me I would know your birthday for sure in my head and instead of saying happy birthday on a virtual wall I would call you to say happy birthday and even spend the day with you.

13. [quote name='"Stride420"']

Im pretty sure there are blades on here that do nothing but smoke weed all day and browse the forums.[/quote]

Haha, yeah okay, you're probably right. I take that back.

14. Facebook drives me crazy. Never had an account there.

Whenever I go to dinner with the family, that's all they talk about. Who said what on whos page, this one's pregnant, did you see this one's pictures - facebook, facebook, facebook.

What a bunch of shit.

I'd rather be out hiking.

15. Its allows people to snoop around other peoples business. And allows other people to "show-off" and make everyone jealous of how much fun they are having and what not. I deleted my shit.

16. The only thing more pointless than Facebook is Twitter. Twitter is simply for egocentric people that think other people care what they're doing at every second (I guess you could say the same about FB, but not many people post every five fucking minutes on FB like they do on Twitter).

17. yea I kinda don't get twitter. I mean as far as a promotional tool for companies, business, even stars.... I can understand that. I just dont understand every day people tweeting.

the funniest thing I heard about twitter is - "If you are following more people than you have followers then you are doing it wrong" lol

18. A while back, when I was living in some city to go to college for a while there, I had made some friends who:
    1. Got drunk alot
    2. Didn't smoke weed at all

And whenever we would go to a party or have dinner at someones house, the whole group would just get there phones out and start whatsapp'ing, wordfeuding and facebooking. I would just sit there not being able to talk with anyone.

Still, they weren't nerds or psycho's at all. In fact, they were quite popular and later it seemed everyone there was behaving like this.

I have Facebook, but almost never use it and I don't give a rat's ass about people I don't interact with on a daily/weekly basis. In fact, when I die I want to be buried face-down, so everyone that doesn't like me can kiss my ass.

19. [​IMG]

I don't know bro, maybe it's because you have teenagers as friends, but none of my friends complain about petty stuff like that, however, I don't go on FB often.

20. [quote name='"Candamile"']
    And whenever we would go to a party or have dinner at someones house, the whole group would just get there phones out and start whatsapp'ing, wordfeuding and facebooking. I would just sit there not being able to talk with anyone.[/quote]

Dude, I met some people like that a few days ago. Went and got high with a bunch of people I didn't really know too well, and they all ended up with their phones out and their eyes glued to them. All I could do was kill zombies all on my lonesome. ):