Why is the devil bad?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by reefercrazyness, Oct 4, 2011.

1. This is a serious question I'm not religious but I was wondering about this last night, so in Christianity the devil is a dude the got kicked out of heaven right? Well why would he punish people in hell? I would think it would be more like hey fuck those guys your with me now let's party! Not, your bad I'm gonna be a pawn to god and punish you. why would he punish people? I mean I'm sure it would be bad there with murders and rapist and such but why would they get punished, Why would Satan help god by doing that? can a Christian explain this to me?

2. Satan does not rule over Hell and nowhere in the Bible does it assert such a thing. As far as I know there's no mention of him even being in Hell.

3. [quote name='"tongues"']Satan does not rule over Hell and nowhere in the Bible does it assert such a thing. As far as I know there's no mention of him even being in Hell.[/quote]

Well then I am really uninformed, thank for correcting me! :D

4. god/devil are reflections of human nature. its called a metaphor. strict christians have a tendancy to interpret this literally. jesus christ represents man overcoming the devil in him to become fearless and god-like.

5. The way I see it is Lucifer is a rebel and Satan is the Accuser, one represents greed and the other wrath.

6. Widely in Christian belief, Satan is damned to hell. He doesn't "rule" over it, he's stuck there, to rot in lava and liquid sulfer + whatever.
    You are tortured when you go there because it is the complete opposite of God, or perfection, resulting in... well, hell.

Depends on your interpretation of the Bible though. I personally believe that the unsaved will be sent to "Hades (Greek word for hell)", which is merely the resting place of the dead - where you just lost all consciousness and cease to exist. Still sorta scary if you think about it.

7. Man thats a good post! it makes me wanna read the bible. Around me (I live in the country in the midwest) everyone reads it as this is real, all this happens, all this exist, which is why I was never into it, But I feel as if I read it as a regular book now it could be a good read.

8. So in the first version who rules hell?
    And so it sounds as if hades is basicly what atheists believe happens when you die. Am I correct in that?

9. Were on hell...

Think about it.

10. If you're interested in demonology the Lesser Key of Solomon is a good place to start.

11. ...So they have weed in hell?
    HOLY SHIT.... Imagine what heaven has then...
    My word...
    SUPER CANNABIS!

12. Yeah man definitely give the bible a read. i also suggest reading other religious texts. find your inner truth

13. i dont find non existance scary at all. what was the 1800's like to you? o you werent alive so at that time you were experiencing non-existance. but u were non existant so u werent really there to experience it. so we go back to where we came from. makes sense IMO.

14. from my understanding, the Roman Catholic notion of hell is supposed to be an existence with the absence of God. the devil is something to be feared because of it's power, resolve and unrelenting goal of opposing God. i personally think a place which is entirely ruled by the se7en deadly sins is rather terrifying. it says a lot about people who think they could possibly stand alone, toe-to-toe with a Devil and have a positive outcome.

15. Because the bible says so :rolleyes:

16. I wish Christian's believed this

then I could tolerate them lol

17. I am not entirely sure. And I say that because while the New Testament is written in Greek, the Old Testament is written in Hebrew, so.. I could say what most Christians believe to say the least, but there is a lot of room for misinterpretation due to errors in translation.. And of course, a very long history which also allows alteration and other falsehoods.

And to the other guy, it is kind of scary. We don't care about the times before we were born because... Well, we weren't born. And as the future wont matter because we won't be in it, it's still hard to think about... Not existing for eternity. Ultimately it doesn't matter, but human nature is to survive. And knowing you aren't going to feels weird.

18. #18 Elem3nt17, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2011
    When Satan became fully conscious that there was no possibility of his being brought again into favor with God, his malice and hatred began to be manifest. He consulted with his angels, and a plan was laid to still work against God's government. When Adam and Eve were placed in the beautiful garden, Satan was laying plans to destroy them. In no way could this happy couple be deprived of their happiness if they obeyed God. Satan could not exercise his power upon them unless they should first disobey God and forfeit His favor. Some plan must therefore be devised to lead them to disobedience that they might incur God's frown and be brought under the more direct influence of Satan and his angels. It was decided that Satan should assume another form and manifest an interest for man. He must insinuate against God's truthfulness and create doubt whether God did mean just what He said; next, he must excite their curiosity, and lead them to pry into the unsearchable plans of God-- the very sin of which Satan had been guilty--and reason as to the cause of His restrictions in regard to the tree of knowledge.

Basically he hates the how he lost favor with god, and since our favor with god is not unconditional he wants to do everything in his power to bring us down to his level. He does everything in his power to corrupt gods plans and creations.

19. You made him sound so tsundere. Maybe yandere? I can't decide.

20. #20 Deleted member 351711, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
    Lack of cooperation?