Why is The Boondock Saints popular?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jdahms, Nov 18, 2011.

1. I had a friend who claimed this movie is so good. Partly reason why is because his grandparents or ancestors had SOME "irish" in them, so he took it as the usual american would when they ask their parents "What is our family background?" and started spewing off about the "luck of the irish" and Heineken beer..even though Heineken is a dutch beer lol. so basically he got a boner everytime "boondock saints" comes up in a convo he has to say something about irish guys and how the movie is somehow terrific. I on the other hand, felt like it was lame. Pretty lame.

2. [quote name='"Helikaon"']Everything in movies is a 'rip off' of something else. I mean christ, Star Wars is the space cartoons from the 1950's with a budget. Tarantino is literally the worst offender.

Does it mean his movies are bad? FUCK NO.

Boondock Saints is just a fun movie, it's got a wicked sense of humour and the director shows a clear love for other action movies.[/quote]

Yes this I agree with, references are everywhere, if it fits in the movie then why not use it? Boondock Saints is a fun film and let's leave it at that

3. #23 Jdahms, Nov 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
    Tarantino clearly has his own unique style though.

Not saying it can't be a fun film man. Sometimes I love watching stupid B movies.

4. Its got a joke about Bill DaFoes penis.
    And, as someone who has seen him pissing onstage with the Wooster Group, that guy has an enormous penis.

5. hahaha what the fuck

That is no surprise ;)

6. Exactly. That's the beauty of his films, he takes what he personally loves and does it in his own way.

That's just what the director of Boondock Saints did. It;s just another case where a "cult" movie gets way overhyped by it's fans. It's the same with Escape From New York and Big Trouble In Little China. It's fans will think it's the best thing ever because it just works for them, it's not for everyone. It's a cult success.

That's the best way to look at the film to be honest. It's not pretending to be anything else, it's just a sick action movie.

7. well id disagree that is a good action movie the action was terrible. most of it was in slow mo which is one of the top signs of the director being a hack.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff5DlpZiMZ0]Boondock Saints (fire fight sceen) - YouTube[/ame]

THERE WAS A FIREFIGHT.... where 100 shots were fired and no one was hit!

8. I'm not a fan of boondock saints either. I dont think its absoluetley horrible, but it is for sure one of the most overrated movies of all time. like you said, it's a bunch of frat boys that like it so much. they like to pretend they're drunken irish hardasses but they're really just douchers.

9. Haha this movie rules.

When he kills that cat? That's fucking funny as shit.

I'll have a coke, hahahahahahaha

I can see not liking it if you are a movie snob or you take movies too seriously, maybe but I find it hard to believe you watched the first one and didn't enjoy it a little.

The second one was horrible stay far far away.

10. What makes it great? Great actors. Great story. Great director. Easily one of my favorites.

11. Terrible opinion, bro.

12. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSmqxPuF-Xk]Pulp Fiction Divine Intervention HD - YouTube[/ame]

13. #33 Jdahms, Nov 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2011
    wut.

Duffy was an asshole that ran his production into the ground. No one working on boondock had any respect for him. Dafoe talked a ton of shit about him. He had never even held a camera in his life before shooting boondock and it shows in how hack the entire movie was from a technical standpoint.

[​IMG]

The story doesnt even make sense. Especially everything about Dafoe's character.

Look at that. The man who kills for religious reasons and recites a verse before executing someone. that doesnt seem familiar at all.

Also notice how the sequence where the guy missed them at point blank was used to further develop the characters? yeah thats why that works and the boondock firefight doesnt.

14. shittin me the actions scenes are mostly good and its funny that fuckin guy that shot the cat is hilarious

when he snaps on them bitches and tells em he killed the cat i laugh my ass off

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LStuZcMoTig&feature=related[/ame]

15. yeah the cat death was funny. Almost reminds me of marvins death in pulp fiction....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m-G9vrgPLk[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gWNkTNnCFc[/ame]

16. first is a classic

17. id love to kick the fucking living shit out of those two retards! whoever approved that movie and let it go into production must of been smoking some some crazy stuf to have thought that script was good...and heard theres a part 2??!!!!!

18. Yeah, I didn't like the second one.

19. it barely made it out of production. Mirimax said "fuck it" because duffy was such a tool and pulled out of it.

It failed everywhere. Even sundance wanted nothing to do with it. It played on 5 screens :rolleyes:

20. The first one was pretty good but the second was a let down.