Why is my plant starting to flower so early?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by modern-hippy, Dec 27, 2015.

1. I got a clone of OG kush. Its been vegging for about 5 weeks. Today I noticed it had the beginning of a bud formation (2 small white hairs) on one of the upper branches. Should I wait a few weeks before switching the lights to 12/12? Or should i start the shorter light cycle now? Also If anybody could tell me what would cause this please let me know.

I have it is regular miracle grow soil, I water it like every 3 -5 days, because the soil stays damp for a few days after I water. Every time I water I give it a very small amount of Cal Mag and a small amount of Super Thrive Nutrients. (2 - 4 drops).... Right now I have the lights on 18 hours a day, temp varries a bit in the closet. Its usually 75 - 80, but sometimes it goes down to 72 or up to 85...

Attached Files:

2. No worries brother. It isnt forming buds. What you see is a calyx that is showing that your plant is sexually mature. It is ready to flower in other words if you want to. A good reason it is probably showing those hairs is because it is a clone, probably from an already mature plant. If you want to begin flowering, go right ahead. She looks beautiful, nice work :D

3. #3 bullshit site, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    It's just signs of a maturing plant, showing sex . Curious if you count from the bottom up, at what node set do the nodes become off-set? Offset nodes is a generally accepted (but no doubt hotly debated somewhere) sign of plant becoming mature. [Edit: It looked like it was grown from seed to me and that is what this paragraph pertains to but I see it is a clone. ]

As far as when to flip the switch, that is all up to you. You can flip it when you feel it has sufficiently veg'd for you. Kind of depends on what yield you are looking for and if its as much as possible i would veg this a while longer. Personally I take a clone or two when it shows sex (or as soon as it is big enough to take a clone) and let the 12/12 rip.[​IMG]

MG a way to at least test your thumb, but a more suitable medium is going to be needed sooner the better...but there is no denying you have a beautiful plant going there. Looks happy to me so I guess no one has told it about the MG.

If it where me I would take a clone or two to preserve the pheno to grow again and flip the switch as you got at least 8 weeks to veg something bigger and work out what medium if you so choose.

BTW if those are CFL's it wouldn't hurt to move them closer just watch the heat. [​IMG]

4. Thanks MasterBaker4200, I appreciate the advice and complements on my grow! Feeling much more at ease now about my little closet project. I plan on letting the plant get around 2 feet high before i start flowering. Shes a little over 1 foot tall now.

5. #5 modern-hippy, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2015
    Thanks MrSOul... I was thinking of taking a clone from this one, but I only have one space to grow in, so I cant have a small clone going with the lights at 18/6 with this plant going at 12/12.... Also need to do more research on how to do the cloning process properly so i dont injure the plant. Youtube and Google has been great for looking stuff up... Also what would you recomend instead of Miracle Grow?

6. Everyone seems to love the Fox Farm as well as others and if you got a local hydro store/ grow shop then all the info is out there. It cost good money and there is no doubt it works. Ocean Forrest sells like hot cakes and there is a wealth of resources and there are plenty of folks here and all over the interwebs that go with it.

I don't have access so geography and cost dictated I mix my own. Organic water only super soil.
    I use Lavender Cowboys Super Soil blood/bone/kelp version. Cheap, easy eliminates pH and Cal Mag as an issue out of the gate. Zero pH worries, no flushing just water the plant and let the soil and the plant take care of everything .
    The base is Peat Moss/Perlite/EWC/Pulverized Dolomite Lime [NOT hydrated/pellets/granules] and everything except the kelp I got at Wal Mart or Lowes. Easy and it works. Google Lavender cowboy super soil recipe and look for the search result
    "organics for beginners" I would say it is on this site somewhere as well.

7. fox farms ocean forest or happy frog. I use ocean forest with a few amendments added. There are a ton of specialty soils you can buy ready to go, or if you are feeling adventurous, you can check out the organics section and build your own organic soil.