why is everyone so divided?

Discussion in 'General' started by Phillip_Welling, Oct 31, 2007.

1. white pride, native pride, black pride, gay pride, estonian pride, albanian pride

why are people so quick to put up divisions between one another? Is it not possible to be a single nation, earth? ideologies, geographically induced evolutionary differences, sexual orientation even. it doesn't matter. I wish people would drop labels. groups. races.

i can't quite put this into coherent words, but i think most of you know what I'm attempting to communicate through this jumbled mess. initiate discussion. GO.

2. Because no matter how much you want to be like someone, you gotta have something that sets you apart man.

3. Haha yes, PRIDE. PRIDE! One of the worst human traits.

4. I was just thinking the other day, we don't have a world flag...

Thought it was relevant to the thread.

5. Everybody thinks they are on a higher pedestal than everyone else, and only do good when good is returned to them

It's the certain cliques we have created in our socities that make us seperate

6. The word pride has several nuances to it's definition. The most common and biblically influenced meaning is the one we're most familiar with and try to avoid. Boastful, puffed up, insufferable.

Another meaning refers to heritage and courage. To survive despite the odds intact as a culture or identity. The groups you mention have suffered hundreds of years under opression, bigotry, hatred and even pogroms of ethnic and cultural cleansing. These groups aren't celebrating superiority or exclusivity. They are simply celebrating their heritage and realizing that it's o.k to be who they are and to take pride in where they come from.

Keeping your culture and heritage alive is not a bad thing. :)

7. The world just needs to have one giant, world-wide, rave.
    End.

8. Haha I don't have pride fuck that. I do have equal hate for everyone.. so no prejudice on my part.:D:p

9. well said.

I can understand being proud of your actions, courage, endurance, making it through a struggle, etc, etc. these, to me, are things worth being proud of. be proud of the things you've lived through and accomplished.

being proud of your "heritage" I don't understand so much. so your "people" have a long history of this or that, so what? YOU had nothing to do with that why should you feel better than someone else because of something you didn't even do or have a part of?

I think a lot of people's pride comes from the discrimination in the world. the world is so divided over trivial things and everybodys got a firm stance on some issue(s). a lot of people thinks they're right and the other sides always wrong

[edit]: to avoid any confusion, i'm referring to people who's pride makes them feel superior.

a lot of my perspective comes from growing up and being spit on for being white and a having a little bit of money in a city that was predominately poor and mexican (but by no means is my family rich)

10. There's nothing wrong with being proud of who you are, so long as you don't go over the top and think you're better than everyone else because of it.

11. schizophrenia

12. Thats what I was going to say, every "group" has certain sterotypes that are both hysterical and really do exist. I wouldnt say I "hate" other groups I just like to poke fun at them

example:

when Barack Obama was on MTV he said something about how he had eaten a lot of chicken the past 9 months. I just kinda looked up from my computer screen and chuckled.

13. we're here we're high get used to it

14. Wow that is so true, i've never thought about that before! Time to call up the white house, tell Mr.Bush to get us a world flag meeting with the world to get a flag ... for the world.

btw it is soooo obvious bush smokes pot. Dont' you agree? he is so fuckign funny watch some of his fuckups on youtube or something ahahah

There watch this : http://youtube.com/watch?v=wKD9MyhwvXQ
    (at about 50 seconds.. anyone got 4 kids.. taht part its sooo funny.. such a stonner.

-Dave

15. true TS, I agree 100%. Most of the groups the op mentioned have been oppressed to hell, the only way back is to change how their people feel, make them know that everything they were told about being inferior or deviant was lies.

Being proud of who we are does not divide us from each other. Respect for ourselves and respect for others unites us so we can live together without abusing the rights of other people and without allowing our own rights to be abused.

As the man said Get up Stand up Stand up for your Rights!

16. in a world without so much division, these groups wouldn't be oppressed in the first place. I, of course, did not mean that all pride is bad, just pride that drives people to separate themselves from the rest.

17. people will always feel "oppressed".. thats just peoples way of bitching about life and being little vaginas.

when i go to work, i feel oppressed, i feel like nothing i do is right, that im singled out for being young, dont feel as smart, ect.

YOU ARE THE ONLY PERSON WHO CAN ALLOW YOURSELF TO FEEL OPPRESSED. oppression is an emotion of the weak. IMO (im not talking about in 3rd world countries where you are physically being oppressed by a dictator or regime)