Why Doesnt The United States Just Nationally Vote On Cannabis Legalization?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tastyblunt7, Jan 31, 2014.

1. kind of a like an election day in a sense, except for cannabis. Isn't that what democracy is all about? FOR THE PEOPLE. The majority of Americans want marijuana legalized but its still illegal on a federal level? Sometimes i wonder if its just bs when they say, we the people control the country. I know we need politicians and there is a process and passing laws, but why does the process have to be so damn long?

why not just vote and change. of course im oversimplifying the problem, but i think the federal government and people against cannabis over complicate it. We waste billions of dollars on this drug war. it needs to stop

any thoughts would be appreciated, especially from someone who is well educated in government and law :)

2. Because if we did it'd be legal and the government and others don't want that Sent from my iPod touch using Grasscity Forum

3. cause me might lose last i knew only 47% are in favor of legalization

4. Because we don't live in a democracy. We live in a Democratic Republic. We vote to have one guy have the say. And he is supposed to represent the people. But he gets lobbied by corporations to listen to them. If he doesn't listen to them after they pay him millions of dollars....
    [​IMG]

5. #5 nyyankees1237, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
    Corporations lobby against it. It will NEVER be legalized on a federal level, at least in our life time. Big pharma has a death grip on the national issue. Many other industries like alcohol, tobacco, and textiles heavily lobby against it as well. The only reason it was legalized in a couple states was because those proposals were voted on directly by citizens; in other words it wasn't a legislative order (at least I think so, don't quote me on it). The problem with the US government is that it's NOT a true direct democracy. It's a republican representative democracy. Meaning the people don't get as much say as you'd think, that's why we elect congressmen, governors, mayors, etc. to vote on these issues for us. The problem is, there's so much corruption they barely support the interests of the people anymore. TLDR: The US gov is heavily influenced by massive corporations which will never allow the legalization of cannabis federally. No congressman would ever propose such a bill and if it was it'd be shot down almost instantly in congress. If it got through congress narrowly (which it wouldn't) then it'd most definitely see an executive veto.Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

6. [quote name="finn slice" post="19443148" timestamp="1391203105"]cause me might lose last i knew only 47% are in favor of legalization[/quote]The number is around 55% give or take last time I heard. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

7. Good luck getting that to ballot lol.

8. you big corporation conspiracy theorists are so fucking stupid

why the fuck would a large corporation give a shit if weed was illegal? 

they can grow weed better than you and sell it more profitably than you. 

when alcohol was illegal, there were many small bootleggers like now there are many small drug dealers we can buy weed from. now like 3 companies produce 95% of the booze in the world. 

no matter what the law is they will ALWAYS make more money than you.

9. #9 Nerd139, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2014
    It would be expensive to organize. Cannabis legalization doesnt have a crap load of millionaires willing to donate money to advertise and set up voting booths. Plus you have all the politicians who would set it up so their districts and states cant vote

Its going to be done one state at a time as the money comes in

10. [quote name="fruitality" post="19443272" timestamp="1391204722"]you big corporation conspiracy theorists are so fucking stupidwhy the fuck would a large corporation give a shit if weed was illegal? they can grow weed better than you and sell it more profitably than you. when alcohol was illegal, there were many small bootleggers like now there are many small drug dealers we can buy weed from. now like 3 companies produce 95% of the booze in the world. no matter what the law is they will ALWAYS make more money than you.[/quote]Did you really just ask if pharmaceutical, alcohol, and tobacco corporations would care about the legal status of cannabis? Do you live under a fucking rock or are you just stupid?Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

11. Big corporations pay to have generic and cheaper versions of their product taken off shelves. They want no competition whatsoever.

They do care about marijuana legalization but once it is legal you better be sure they'll try and crush all the mom and pop dispensaries with cheap and crappy weed. This might not happen since I think in the long run people will care about quality and want more variety from their weed. Like with beer and wine.

12. [quote name="The Band" post="19443339" timestamp="1391205679"]Bro I would watch your words. The opinions you expressed aren't any more credible.All your corporate control theories aren't wrong, Just exaggerated. America is the leader of the free world if it's people want something changed eventually it will happen. Idk why your so mad but take a hit and chill out man[/quote]I apologize. That's what happens when I'm referred to as "fucking stupid". Exaggerated or not it's completely true. The reason the US is on a downswing right now (in regards to freedom and rights) is because of people who aren't aware of what's happening to the country. I just get furious over that... The government steps all over us and will continue to. If you don't believe me simply Google 'TPP' or 'NSA'. Sorry about my strong opinions, it's just the way I am. If I insulted anyone I apologize! Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. Fuck this society we need to form our own society. 

14. [quote name="Nerd139" post="19443406" timestamp="1391206702"]Fuck this society we need to form our own society. [/quote]I agree. Hopefully we can do that before the GMOs in all of our food gives us cancer. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

15. They wont because the illuminati wants us to stay jacked up off all these bad medicationsSent from my Prism using Grasscity Forum mobile app

16. And here I thought the Templars were doing it so they could finance their operation to get the Apple

17. Ya know I actually did research into hippie communes once. Not hardcore but I wondered if any were still around I could go live at for awhile. 

There is a show on Natgeo or Discovery called Legend of Mick DIdge or something where it has some kind ving in the forest. SO far ive only seen previews but the guy seems like such an interesting guy.

18. You mean a decision of the people, by the people, for the people?
    Sorry, that would make too much sense. 

19. The same reason we dont do that for every issue? Just isnt how the system works.

But maybe someday.

20. [quote name="Nerd139" post="19443582" timestamp="1391208902"]And here I thought the Templars were doing it so they could finance their operation to get the Apple[/quote]@[member="Nerd139"] time to join the brotherhood lmaoSent from my mi casa using Grasscity Forum