why does the media have such a distorted view on underground music?

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by no comment, May 22, 2010.

1. Oh, gee, I don't know...Perhaps I would expect that an entire Company founded on the basis of music would know a thing or two about...well, music.

And that would include keeping up on genres and at least being able to be somewhat accurate on the topic. I mean, hell, like I said, it's only their job.

/sarcasm

2. i was joking about 'shooting in the face' (obviously). im very much a pacifist. but id give them a firm taking to, and a history lesson.

and genres are not subjective. if you sound like emo, you're emo. emo is emotive hardcore, i can tell when i hear it. same thing with grindcore, death metal, and sludge.

lyrics are fucked up because the world is fucked up. but honestly, most of the lyrics of bands i listen to are about how to make the world better, spreading knowledge, dissolving ignorance, it really goes a lot deeper than a lot of people think, especially with the rise of hardcore/anarcho punk/crust punk and other genres that promote actual ideals.

3. Care to give me some bands, please. I'm not a big metal/punk person mostly because I'm exposed to the 'mainstream' bands, but I'm always keeping my ears open to new genres.

4. the arcade fire isnt very mainstream, i have the first two albums on vinyl. im a fan.

as for big punk/metal bands uh... thats tough, there are MANY different genres. depends on if you care about politics or horror movies or skating, weed, theres bands for everything.

if you wanna hear two really good bands though, listen to Dystopia and Amebix.

5. Thing is a few years back a fan of Mars did a school shooting, and then killed himself. And on his myspace page it was all about Mars. So this is the second time I know of Mars has had to deal hours on end with fucking media, and cops, and reporters.

6. bump because the threads here suck

7. So I was hanging out with this guy the other day and I was listening to Atmosphere and he said something along the lines of, "this shit is whack let's listen to Lil' Jon"...

8. he probably couldnt understand the big words.

9. I agree with this 100%

Look at the 60s and 70s when Rock was still alive and kickin. There were shitty bands just like there are now but good bands also had media coverage, be it bad or good. If people were exposed to real music I'm sure they would like it. It seems now a days the only bands that get coverage are the ones with the smallest amount of talent. Almost any good band you can think of in classic rock had bad press but people still loved them because they knew about them. The first four Zeppelin albums all had horrible reviews and now theyre 4 of the most influential albums in history.

There are good channels such as Pallidia or whatever that station is called they show festivals and underground bands frequently, but unless you have the best satellite package you don't get it so the majority of us are fucked