Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why does my skin ALWAYS itch when I smoke?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by LAKT, May 31, 2011.

1. #1 LAKT, May 31, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
    Hey guys,

I recently got back into smoking at 36 years old. I was a regular smoker back in my teen years but since then I averaged smoking maybe once every 5 years.
    I really wasn't into pot though as a kid since everyone else seemed to love it, but it always made me have physical symptoms plus paranoia (why I eventually stopped). And back in those days you weren't 'cool' unless you took HUGE bong rips, which was just way too much for me.

Been feeling a lot of stress lately so I asked a friend to get me some. I asked for an Indica strain because I wanted to sleep better and I don't like "head highs" too much.

So I started out slow ( a couple hits) and the high was nice, but my skin ITCHES.

Tried it again today, same thing, itchy crawly feelings on legs and face, just like ALWAYS.

This sucks because I'm liking the high, but the itching drives me nuts.

No redness on skin, no swelling, no heart murmers or breathing issues....just itchy FEELING skin.

I also get weird itchiness behind the eyes, but not major. And I also get weird sensations in extremities. Low grade, not major, just annoying.

It kinda ruins my high. So what do I do? Am I allergic?

I do have a history of muscle tension so I was wondering if it may be a result of muscles relaxing?

2. Might just be your blood pressure? Try eating some food before you smoke, a drink wouldn't hurt also. :wave:

3. I dont think your allergic because you've been a regular smoker in the past.
    It could be all in your head?
    &I'll go ahead and state the obvious just in case: Apply lotion?

4. Marijuana relaxes you, so you feel stuff you usually wouldn't when sober. You might have dermatitis.

5. There is no indication that anything is ON my skin..

It's just itching under the skin. And sometimes sensations in muscles.

But I have had issue with tight muscles for years and wondering if that could be it.

Like I said, no other usual allergic type reactions. Breathing is fine, skin is fine, stomach and throat are fine.

I just itch...

6. If the air where you are is dry a humidifier might do the trick.

7. it means you have lizard weed and you will start growing lizard scales

8. You're probably just ashy. Skin gets dry in the winter. Try some lotion in the problem areas

9. #9 travel2much, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
    You have to take off your clown suit and let your skin breath....happens to me all the time especially on my feet with those big floppy shoes! Lol
    image.jpg

10. I have MS and have itchy skin when I smoke certain strains but the MS is the issue for me.  I have muscle spasms quite often as well but since I started using a caregiver for my medicine I have not had a single itch episode related to smoking with any strain I am using of his...although you may not be allergic to the herb its possible you are allergic to nutrients and if they were not flushed out properly before harvest welll... I have that issue with any fish based nutrients if not flushed out properly before harvest I have to throw the stash out or give it to someone who is not allergic....I found this out the hard way when I first started using medical herb and have had to be very selective about where I get it and who grows it....

11. Maybe. Are there any known allergens in cannabis?

12. What are the best strains for MS? I have a cousin with MS and he has been floundering trying to find the best possible option...

13. Hi Travel2much,, this is not a short awnser there are too many personal variables..but I have to say that hands down edibles work better for my ms than smoking although I do both.  I personally have a great deal of trouble with Indica dom strains as I have low blood pressure and the Indica puts me way under the safe range and I have passed out from it with Indica dom strains.. I know this is gona sound strange but I like to mix AK47(Sativa dom) with BlueBerry and MasterBubba Kush for nite time use and durring the day(when needed) I use Harlequin which is a 1:1 aprox ratio of THC to Cannabanoids  very good for pain specifically nerve pain but only psychoactive for about 15 minutes if at all( excuse spelling I'm dyslexic too lol)...I would totally stay away from Girl Scout Cookies everyone I have talked to says it totally makes pain worse and I have found it unbearable for me and its the genome as I have had it from 3 different growers same effect.  What I would do is have him try all Indica all Sativa and a 50/50 hybrid to see what aspects he likes from each strain then perhaps mix them together to see if two or three different strains mixed works rather than one strain or the other.  I have also found great success with Sour Deisel and NYC Deisel but none of the growers in my area are growing deisels at this time.  Hope that helps a bit and good luck

14. You didn't mention taking anything else but if you are taking any kind of narcotic at all at the same time they will make you itch. Codeine Vicodin etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

15. allergic reaction or your dealer is lacing your smoke with opiates. but i doubt the second one, cuz that would get expensive on his end unless it's getting you hooked and making you more liable to purchase more often from him.

16. As someone who is currently working with my doctor to use cannabis to help with anxiety and depression issues, has an associates degree in biotechnology, and has a lot of history of using psychiatric drugs to help with various symptoms I thought I should weigh in on this question if its still relevant.

Remember that cannabis still has some minor psychedelic properties that can be more pronounced with higher amounts of THC. CBD can, however, offset the psychedelic and very minor potentially hallucinogenic properties of THC. CBD inhibits THC from binding to some portions of endo-cannabinoid receptors. While at the same time CBD binds to seretonin 5-HT1A receptors and seems to inhibit some of the psychedelic properties of THC as well. https://www.projectcbd.org/how-cbd-works

I would guess this is where the "crawling" sensation on the skin is coming from. Anyways here's a much more detailed primary research article if anyone is interested in how CBD works on serotonin 5-HT1A receptors.

Here's the jist at what I'm getting at. If your getting strange itchy and "crawly" sensations only while the cannabis is in your system than you need to reduce the psychedelic/hallucinogenic influence of THC. If I had to guess you probably got an indica that had virtually no CBD and is between 20 and 30% THC. I imagine you smoked a small amount with a small glass pipe? Here's what I would suggest to relax and not get adverse affects from THC:

Strain: Harlequin roughly 50% THC and CBD. THC ~8% CBD ~10%
    Strain: Harle Tsu THC~ 0.03% CBD ~18%
    Strain ACDC ~1% THC 17% CBD
    Strain Charlottes Web ~1% or less THC ~18-20% CBD

17. It's caused by dry skin and dehydration marijuana causes nothing more. I get it too and it's only on the spots I already have dry skin already. This thread is mega old, not relevant to the OP and discusses other drugs that should not be discussed here.

18. Seems completely relevant to anyone dealing with such issues. And slow down cowboy I don't think you really understand cannabis. Keep in mind both THC, CBD, many other cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids can have extremely powerful effects modulating the immune system. Especially when the CB2 receptor is agonized and antagonized. One strain can produce inflammation while another one can bring it down. The wrong variety can raise you histamine levels and give a decent allergic reaction with generation of pro inflammatory cytokines.

So just want advise you all listen to your body. If your body tells you your having a problem with a strain, or cannabis in general, listen to it because you are. Varieties with smaller amounts of THC and high amounts of CBD can be helpful for inflammation.

I've met plenty of people like you who think they understand this plant because they have smoked it for years. Guess what? A lot of you are just burning yourself out on very high thc potent sativas and indicas. You need to vary and diversify your cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids for a healthy mind and body. Your goal should be to support your endocannabinoid system, not over tax it. I assure you, whatever you think about this plant - throw it out the window.

Also FYI I'm a biotechnologist by education and training, am currently using cannabis along with many other legal plant compounds to ease a prescription drug withdrawal. Have studied ad nauseum the Brain's neurotransmitter systems as well as my own cerebral blood flow and neurology with spect scanning technology. I attend university lectures on cannabis. I know people in the industry including a PhD and a brilliant research scientist - these are who my friends are.

Whatever manual your currently using for cannabis you should throw it out the window. Prohibition is most likely going to end in 1-3 years and you better be ready to really understand what compounds do what; or your going to get left behind quickly.

Sent from my A1-860 using Grasscity Forum mobile app