Why do you think religion was created?

Discussion in 'High Ideas' started by superguy72, Jul 9, 2013.

1. I was thinking about who invented the idea of god or gods. i know that the greeks used them to explain with stories why things were they way h
    they were. but what about other religions? I honestly think it was because a government wanted a way to bring order to their people and said "if your good you go to heaven, if your bad you go to hell" so like that way people would be afraid to do bad. The people's government used religion to control the people. idk. I'm pretty baked so i hope that makes sense. why do you guys think it was created

2. It was created to control and strike fear into the masses.
    The reason we believe in a god is because there is a part of our brain that miss' the alpha male (back when we where apes) that the group looked up to and the alpha male looked after the pack.
    We miss that ultimate controller aka the dominant male.

3. #3 LSYouTiger, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2013
    Religion probably wasn't created, but formed over thousands of years. Over the course of time, people began learning things and passing that knowledge on to the next generation. Life experiences taught them things that they could explain in stories. Over time those ideas were collected and religions formed. 

Our quest for knowledge is stifled by technology. The concept of a beginning is very difficult. To satisfy the curiosity, they created answers with gods.  

As for heaven and hell, they believed in an afterlife. When you heart stops beating, there is still brain activity even though your dead. Blood stops flowing so I'm sure many parts are shut down but some keep going. Your brain functions differently and that person is conscious of that even though their dead.

time is not a dimension in dreams. In the afterlife state of the brain, it probably feels much like a dream except that you can't get out of it. You determine whether this amazing trip will be heaven-like or hell-like. For the person experiencing it, it feels eternal. 

Hate and love are both chemicals in your body. All emotions are chemicals. The presence of those chemicals in your brain at death may influence your "trip". 

4. nonono.

Religion was not created.
    Religion is a belief. Some people believe in a Great Being that created us, because they cant accept science.

5. religion was created to explain the unexplained

Or to create a  set of morals to live by. 

6. Science hasn't disproved God. 

7. Ugh, religion is such bullshit, number one cause of the worlds fuckd up problems. Wat happens wen u die? Nothing! That's wat. Enjoy your life, dont love in hopes of getting to heaven, being religious is such a shitty life.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. science does not disprove god.

Im not religious btw.

I belive in the Evolution Theory.

9. The number one cause to the problems on this planet is humans. Religion has never caused any problems. Every problem created was created by a human, some of whom misused religion as a means to satisfy their personal interest. 

10. nonono.
    \nReligion was not created.
    Religion is a belief. Some people believe in a Great Being that created us, because they cant accept science.

You say science hasn't disproved god. You also say if you believe in it, you don't accept science. 

11. There are so many things wrong here...
    First, religion is not a choice of God or science, maybe specific religions have dug their own grave, but not all of them. I find science works in tandem with my belief system and allows me to approach my beliefs in an intelligent, very human manner.
    Second, religion does indeed limit a person (Mine sure as shit does) to a specific lifestyle. I have to eat kosher, keep the Sabbath, pray three times a day, I have 613 commandments, 6
    SIX HUNDRED THIRTEEN! But the limitation isn't depressing, and if it is, you are doing it wrong! I find my limitations invigorating, empowering, lIke every little thing that I do because it's limited from everything else matters, it's of the utmost significance.
    Why was religion created? I have a small note on that. Religion is: A lie created by very intelligent (groups of) people to control humans through fear and claims of a higher power. 2: A desperate attempt to answer questions that simply cannot be answered. 3: A simple written out method to connect with the mystical forces (I have seen them, felt them, and I believe they are there, but our ideas of what that implies are colossally incorrect) of the Cosmos (i.e. Meditation, praying, rituals, etc...), and entering a state of oneness and connection with the Universe, and  all of its entities and energies. States also achievable and/or enhanceable through the consumption of substances such as LSD, Mushrooms, Mescaline, Salvia, Marijuana, amongst others.

12. thats not what i fully meant, leave me dafuq alone and let me blaze.

13. A way to explain the unexplainable and a symbol of hope.

14. #14 LSYouTiger, Jul 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2013

Over 5 thousand years of knowledge in Bible alone. Its one of the first books on sociology and psychology. As for religion and customs, Commandments must change with the times. Traditions carry on customs, and latter generations do not fully understand the why's of every custom. Like how pork is forbidden in Judaism. Pork is unclean, probably because the pigs had deadly diseases when that rule was made. I don't think such a command is relative to today. 

I think all of your definitions are right. Particularly 3; In the sub-quantum world, a Universal consciousness could act. 

Please prove to us that once we die nothing happens? Nobody knows what happens, and I don't think they ever will, unless we fully understand the human consciousness.

16. I'm saying there are sometimes practical effects of certain commandments, but in plain Hebrew it is explained that things are generally forbidden from use or action, whatever, due to the ramifications it may have in the spiritual realm. A Jew, according to the beliefs and teachings of Judaism, does not eat pork because of spiritually negative side effects, that can affect things during or well after your life, within or beyond the scope of your life. The extensive laws of Kashrus were not created for the simple reason of a pig, which is one of many, MANY, things that are not kosher, being potentially diseased.

17. That was simply one example, we're dealing with 600+ commandments. There are many commandments to help protect the mind, body, and soul. I mean that in terms of biology, psychology, and sociology. I would just say that times change, and some commandments become unnecessary restraints. 

18. lol, no, I understand, I'm trying to let you know though that it is stated in the onset of these commandments that they are first and foremost a protection against negatively affecting the spiritual realm, and so dealing with it in terms of biology, psychology and sociology, dealing with it in terms of the physical realm, doesn't actually capture why these supposed commandments are followed by Jews all over the place. It's not due to a belief that the commandments are here for a healthy lifestyle physically, it's due to a belief that the Jew, as a human, has the capability to alter the spiritual structure of the universe through physical actions (This is all based on belief, I'm trying my utmost to avoid argument, just saying that a commandment is around for more then just the immediate practical benefits).

19. Religion was created, when man looked to the stars and asked "how? why?"

20. Fear of the unknown