Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why do you stop having dreams?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by Anaru, Mar 15, 2010.

1. I think it's a common thing that people who regularly smoke herb stop having dreams (correct me if I'm wrong). Why is this? Is it because your brain uses a similar part when high as it does when dreaming, and smoking replaces your need to satisfy this region?

2. i dont know exactly, but what i do know is this: your sleep cycle is broken up into 4 stages... the 1st is your dream stage... the 2nd and 3d are a means to get to your 4th which is deep sleep.
    marijuana, alcohol and tranquilizers mess up the 1st and 4th stages which are the most important ones for getting a good nights sleep. thats just what i know from psycology 150...

3. I don't know but lately I've been thinking that I sure miss being able to dream

4. Me too. Dreams would be nice every so often. :)

5. i smoke all the time and i always have vivid dreams, some dreams i even feel high as fuck in haha, but correct me if i'm wrong- we dream in the REM state of sleep which is like our deepest sleep and i've heard that smoking herb fucks with your ability to reach the REM state of sleep.

6. smoke some DMT if you desire a dream. Although, you'll be awake when it occurs.

7. thats odd, ive experienced the opposite. my dreams have become more frequent and i smoke everyday although this week im t breaking. theyre much more vivid too.

8. Just an educated guess but it sounds plausible to me.

Marijuana fucks up your short term memory. For example you forgot who you just called on the phone and had to hang up and call back. Well I'm assuming this can affect your dreams significantly. I mean, it's hard enough to remember dreams even when your sober. I remember maybe 1-2 a month.

9. im pretty sure if you get a full nights sleep then everyone dreams, but they're tough to remember unless you wake up right after a dream and think about it for a bit. id say focus/memory are the largest factors in determining whether or not you remember your dreams.

10. I took a break from smoking today for this exact reason :D

Dreams are entertaining ha

11. my psychology professor said you have a dream every single night, the only thing that varies is whether you're able to recall/remember it at all. This is given you're getting 6 plus hours, if less you prob wont enter REM cycle

i think it has something to do with forgetting them. I have never woke up from a night before full of blazing and remembered a dream. Also, sometimes i will have a dream being sober the night before, wake up, realize it for a sec and forget the details of the entire dream.

12. I definitely have dreams but I can't really remember them. I get a lot of those deja vu moments where I am like "im pretty sure this happened, but it might have been in a dream that i just dont remember"

i miss having real crazy vivid dreams though :(

13. hah then the more you try and remember it the more your memory loses it

14. I've had long conversations about this with people, and then asked all my friends. I seem to be a freak of nature. Even when I was smoking everyday, 5 or more times per day. I would have vivid dreams every night.

Not only would I be able to recall just one, but usually could recall three distinctly different dreams per night.

I guess I'm a freak or something. :confused_2:

but a lucky freak. :D :yay:

15. I'm no expert, but I have heard it explained like this;
    Weed messes with your sleep cycles, just like any other drug, caffeine, alcohol, sugar, nicotine etc. You feel like you are getting a good night sleep, but you are actually missing a large part of your rem state (the stage of sleep where dreams occur). The weed basically doesn't let your mind slow down enough to dream.

I believe that the best way to avoid it is to just make sure that you don't smoke right before bed. Let yourself come down a bit before you go to sleep. Don't smoke for 2-3 hours before you crash.

16. I've never really noticed anything like that. Bummer man. I LOVE dreams.

I discovered recently that if I wake up an hour before I usually get up, then chill, get all cozy, and fall back asleep, I have VERY vivid dreams and I wake up an hour later feeling like I just slept for another night. It worked three times in a row.

I have no actual evidence of this but my personal hypothesis is that after waking up from deep sleep, it's easy to fall back through all the cycles of sleeping-easy enough to do it in an hour-and you experience dreams and remember them because they're only minutes old.

I've also been on a break from tokin', so that could have contributed...but if you think you can do this I encourage anyone to try it. :)

Happy dreaming!

17. thats literally what i do every night. pack the vape, chill for a little while, and right to sleep. The only dream I have is the Blue Dream I have in this jar.

18. Your psych class is way wrong. The deepest part of your sleep occurs soon after falling asleep and goes in less and less deep cycles. REM sleep occurs at the less deep parts of sleep, hence why when you wake up you may remember the dream you were just having.

19. yes, it is REM, but its not the deepest stage, its the lightest stage of sleep in which you dream.

20. thanks for clearin it up!