Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why do you smoke?

Discussion in 'Seasoned Marijuana Users' started by hexagonsun, Jul 20, 2006.

1. I think a lot of smokers have different reasons as to why they toke and different perceptions as to what they want to get out of weed. I have people who I suspect smoke just because it brings them into a state of intense relaxation. Other times I find people smoke with the intention of getting fucked up, as if they were getting drunk, escapism in other words.

Personally I find no escapism from weed. Instead, life is magnified tenfold. I remember a kid on one of his first few times grabbed the bong after we all stopped smoking and said "I'm getting really messed up tonight!" and took about six bong hits in a row. He smoked so much that I guess it became too intense for him and began to experience some heavy, heavy anxiety. He began to cry and beg for help, but eventually passed out. "I'm not in the right world," he said. Just an antecode relating to people who don't really know how weed differs from alcohol.

My choice to smoke is primarily motivated by a couple of feelings. One is clarity of perception. When I'm sober I'm very indifferent and generally unsure of myself in forming opinions on various things such as music, movies, books, politics, etc. But when I'm high I'm confident in my distinctions between what I like and don't like, and some things reveal themselves to be mediocre or better. Not just because I'm high and in the sky and I don't know what I'm talking about. I find that I can talk extensively about art and music and such and my feelings towards certain things when I'm stoned, and it's an ability I lose when I'm sober. Some people look back on some of the things they've said high and laugh, and believe me that's happened as well, but the majority of the time the things that come out of a stoned conversation are very purely true and revealing.

Often weed sheds a very innocent light upon my perceptions. New ideas and theories excite me. A painting hanging up in a store is suddenly important. Psychology and philosophy become fascinating. That old highly-acclaimed foreign movie you didn't have the patience to sit through is now amazing.

Basically, marijuana relieves me of everything ugly about sobriety. It brings me closer to other people and closer to myself. It allows me to see with clarity and without prejudice or a lack of self-confidence various things in a fresh light. A lot of anti-smoking campaigns will talk about being stoned leading to bad ideas. On the contrary, being stoned led me to realize that I needed to lose weight, an issue I wasn't confronting sober, and this intense recognition led me to begin exercising and eating healthier in the following months.

Another revelation when stoned was the distance that human beings put between each other even though we're all part of the same phenomenon that we can't explain. We're too busy being obsessed with the material things we've created and trying to destroy each other. A lot of people have such revelations when stoned and realize that most of the things they're "realized" when high was really already recognized sober. Such as that which I just mentioned. But it's not just the knowledge of it that comes up, it's an intense recognition and inspiring feeling that something has to be done that happens when you're high that doesn't happen when you're sober. I know a ton of displeasing facts of life that if you told me sober I would look at you a bit funny. But when high these things suddenly become important. It's my personal opinion that if everyone just started toking we'd have a lot less problems in the world because there'd be less tension and probably more creative and intellectual breakthroughs. I think the plant was put on this planet for a reason, maybe in case things got as ugly as they have, and I think there's a reason we have specific receptors in our brain to receive this plant.

Sorry if this was too long to read. Cliff notes: ATHF is the shit.

2. i smoke to relax at the end of a hard days work. but i get really fucked up every night, at least 2 bowls worth in the bong.

3. I smoke because it helps calm me down alot. I have adhd and dyslexia and weed seems to calm me down and help me focus better than any of the other amphetamines ive been on from my doctor.The problem with the speed that my mom wanted me to take for my adhd and dyslexia is that it made me completely numb to emotions and I couldnt sleep at all while on it. Weed seems to keep me focused enough and gives me a good feeling with out the bad side effects of the perscription drugs my parents had me on.

Pot also did a great thing for me socially, I was a complete social outcast because I was always really shy and nervous before i started smoking and now ive opened up alot.

4. I smoke to for 2-3 hours release myself from my problems and the world and just chill

If i want to get fucked up than i'll smoke more, but usually i just want to chill and try to be somewhere else :smoking:

5. I don't know what ATHF is, but that was a nice read. I agree with you, I write better on the guitar when stoned. We had a radio show the next day and we needed to write record edit polish and publish two songs from scratch in one sitting, so I got stoned. He sat there and made sure I didn't say anything really stupid, but I was able to write out the rest of the stuff. So yea, weed is sooooo cool. I had an amazing experience today when my high was sort of coming down. I had just jumped a lot on the trampoline and got really tired so I just lay down on my back and I looked at the sky. I became super relaxed and tranquil. I stared at the clouds and then sky as they blew over me.

6. ATHF = Aqua Teen Hunger Force on Adult Swim?

7. I just like gettin fucked up lol I love not being able to walk and bumping into things, tasting things different, hearing things different and ofcourse having everything everyone says funny lol always makes for a fun night and usually get a few good short stories to laugh at the next day

8. I do it because i like the feeling. I am an "enhancement" smoker as it seems to make stuff generaly better. I think about alot of stuff and it just has put life in perspective for me and now when im not high i realise what matters n what doesnt. EDIT: i dont get giggly or laugh and things dont become funnier... i just put life into perspective as i said before ;-)

9. becauseIlikeIt

mostly for its relaxing effect, im not too into getting fucked up, except on special occasions

10. i smoke cuz its fun. :)

11. Yes, ATHF is Aqua Teen.

12. i smoke cuz its like what the hell else would i be doin ya know?

13. I smoke more for a social thing. Me and a select few weill stop and sit down and smoke just about every evening. Listen to music, have a few beers. I didnt realize how much of a "tradition" it was until i stayed with a few guam people who do the same thing but with kava kava. I hardly ever smoke outside of that setting.

14. at first when i started , it was what now seems pointless to me. i wanted to get fucked up every night , thats all i would do around the age of 14-15 , get stoned then go gang fight , day in day out , then , i gained myself a social worker & supervision order from that social worker. making sure im in school , making sure i stay out of trouble , i stopped leaving the house.

i kept smoking , just because by then it was an everyday thing , overtime i started to learn a greater appretation for music & things like my art work , i was thinking about everything.
    ofcourse i was getting stoned & hadn't taken any notice of some things before, all i needed was weed and some alone time , i realised that there was ALOT more , wonderful , things about this plant , thats why i find just getting fucked up pointless , mary jane has alot of use's , i say take advantage of them.

n wow im fucked up right now.

15. cuz everyone else is doing it. lol

16. I smoke for the experience it brings physically and mentally and sometimes spirtually... and sometimes when its been a bitch of a day :mad: it always seems to straighten things out in your mind and allow you to relax :) :smoking:

17. Yeah I hear you man. I smoke cuz it gets me high, and wtf else do I do? Not much.

18. you seriously took the words out of my mouth:hello:

19. It makes me look cool.

20. it gives me a sense of nostalgia.