Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why do you grind weed?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by OntheDopethrone, Mar 21, 2013.

1. I'm just wondering what the benefits are if you grind your weed, I don't have a grinder, but im wondering if i should get one.

2. I only grind up bud when it's going in my vaporizer. Smoking, I'll just break it up with my hands.

3. The only real benefit is a kief collector IMO. It all smokes the same. You may end up losing some crystals breaking it up with your fingers that would otherwise just fall off into the kief collector.

4. Consistent burns and kief.
    More surface area, better burn.

5. #5 KangarooBunny, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
    I love evenly ground-up weed. It just burns so much nicer. Maybe I just suck at breaking it up by hand though. :confused_2:

Edit: If you know what to look for, you can choose your grinder according to how fine it grinds. I bought one from a LHS with large holes, so it falls through into the holding chamber before it has a chance to get pulverized into really really fine pieces.

6. I don't use a grinder anymore. I found that by using a grinder I smoked more than twice as much. All of that keif that falls through and is collected makes your ground up bud less potent.

7. For this reason, but I havent grinded mine in at least a few months. Just dont know if I trust any company to make a product which isnt also harmful in terms of metals used in grinders, along with polishes, and flaking also.

8. If you grind it, it's a lot finer, and you can fit more and it burns evenly. Also like an above poster said, the kief collector is a boss :)

For about every ounce I grind, I get about a joint worth of kief. Pure crystals, you get SOOOO fucked up!!

9. I use my grinder for a few reasons.
    1.Using it my MFLB, because it needs to be almost kief like or it burns too easy.

2.When I roll a joint(or a blunt on occasion) I really love the even, slower burn it has when it is ground up using a grinder, versus hand breaking. I feel like if I break it up with my hand it canoes a lot.

3.Kief, because rolling that shit or smoking a bowl of that is just perfect.

4. Most grinders are so cheap that it is just convenient to have in your stoner toolbox.

10. Well, if you're into rationing your weed by taking one hitters and bong snaps and the such, a somewhat fine grind helps spread your weed out.

I don't have a grinder so I pop my nuggets in a pill bottle and go at it with a little pair of scissors. Usually gets it pretty good consistency and any kief that could be lost in a grinder usually ends up at the bottom of the bottle, and if the weeds sticky it'll stick to the weed.

As far as grinding it to a powder, that's just dumb unless you're vaping it. I imagine vaporizing kief could really catch you by the boo boo if you let it.

11. I like cut the buds with scissors.

12. it makes the process of rolling quicker :p

13. Bud burns better, rolls better, keif falls into the catcher

14. Quick, Effective, and as other users have said kief.

15. burns better because more surface area is exposed and oxygen can move through a lot easier

16. The only reason I use a grinder usually is it's much faster to grind up a dense bud to a consistent texture.

17. Kief and it burns smoother, nicer looking joints and blunts, rolls better too :smoke:

18. #18 Plasma, Mar 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2013
    I tend to have a problem using my fingers while breaking up bud. After a bowl or two my hands seem to get a little sweaty resulting in oil build-up which contributes to very dense clusters and thc stuck to fingers. These are two very lame things! Also, a grinder can have a kief catcher which will save you some hassle/smokeablez.

It also depends on how cured/dry you get your weed. If you got a little time to make sure you're actually able to break it up with your hands before starting it's pretty wise.

Semi-Dry weed = fingers (BEST)
    Damp weed = grinder
    Semi-Dry weed /oily hand = grinder
    Damp weed/oily hand = grinder

19. A grinder is nice to have when you have that sticky icky and to collect kief

image-3302996822.jpg

20. Kief and more even burn.