Why do we have to respect religion

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by VikingToker, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Thread title

2. I don't believe we have to directly respect religion, however we do have to be respectful of the faithful.
    Common decency, but at the same time religious folks need to be respectful of those that don't share their views.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 14
  3. We don't.

There is no reason to.

There is absolutely nothing that differentiates the Gods of religion from the Gods of mythology.

'Cept for the antiquated tomes that religions are based upon...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Some religious practices are harmful. I do think freedom of religion is important to grant.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Why is the question, fellow blades

Why respect obvious delusions and the people that follow them

Why do we grant creedence to insanity simply because enough people have been born into it

• Like Like x 1
  6. Again.
    Common courtesy.
    Even if their beliefs do not match your logic. What gives you a right to deride their faith?
    If they wish to engage in debate, then they must also be courteous of your views and listen and answer respectfully.

• Like Like x 7
  7. They don't deserve respect for existing.
    They have to earn such respects.
    Most are lacking.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Maybe we have different definitions of respect, because what you're saying sounds like appeasement[1] and not respect.

Let me try to specify, to get a bit more of a complicated answer out of you. What happens when a religious practice is immoral to the rest of us? (Such as the Islamic tradition of forcing girls to marry men they have never met). I must respect this heartless practice, because it's sad for them if they feel insulted that I disrespect their brutal behaviour?

What happens when we preach a culture of respect of these wicked ideas, rather than a culture of criticism of these wicked ideas?

[1] Clarif.; Neville Chamberlain tolerating Hitler

• Like Like x 2
  9. I can already see where this thread is going...

I'm ooooooot.... Bolt

• Like Like x 6
  10. Respect the people, not necessarily the practices.

Reading your perspective, it may be necessary to engage in debate to attempt to draw light on the foundation of their beliefs.
    Do the books actual preach to take a young girl into marriage as a wife? If so what has changed in the world since then. There are ways to engage with respect and disrespect will insure that your words will not be heard.

• Like Like x 2
  11. you should respect someones right to believe in whatever they choose. but they should, at the same time, respect your right to not give a fuck. my $.02

• Like Like x 3
  12. People minding their own business deserve the freedom to worship as they please. When their religion harms others they should lose that freedom and their religion should be stomped out.

• Like Like x 5
  13. You should only respect it if you respect the person or if they're a stranger to you. Like my dad is religious as hell but I don't tell him that god isn't real cause I respect him. I'm also not gonna go up to a stranger and be rude to them by telling them the same thing.

• Like Like x 3
  14. #14 BornHippie, Jun 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
    The same reason why you pretend to know everything. You sound like any other whistleblower, and need to respect the fact that others have a right to think for themselves. You don't have to respect religion, but if you don't respect others they certainly aren't going to respect you. You're liable to piss the wrong person off too.

Forget why you should respect religion. Why should I respect you after seeing how you act toward others?

• Like Like x 1
  15. I respect the people and their beliefs but not the religion

16. Works both ways. Religion has to show respect to expect any back. Most religions are no where near that. In fact very much the opposite!

Sent from my SM-T210 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

• Like Like x 4
  17. There is no reason to respect the religious. To me the fact that there is more than one proves that all of them are false. Killing people based on rules handed down by someone's imaginary friend from 2000 years ago? Are you kidding me? We need to become more like the Vulcans. Logic...not superstition, should dictate our course.

• Like Like x 3
  18. People are in here speaking as if religion is some sort of sentient being. It's not the religion you're respecting but the people who hold the ideology with respect to their character. Would you judge MLK and Westboro Baptist Church the same because of their shared religion or would you take the character into consideration?

What about Muhammad Ali and ISIS militants? Are they worthy of the same judgment because of their religion or would call their character to mind?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Yeah.

If a man stands in front of me and tells me he starves his kids for the month of Ramadan and doesn't eat pork because his God told him to,

I cannot respect that man. It's no different than a man telling me that I gotta be careful or the Power Rangers will get me.
    He's a dumbshit. He's been completely destroyed by ancient myths. That man is not in control of himself, he is not in tune with a reasonable view of reality. He should not be allowed to make political policy. He should not be trusted with important decisions. He should be ridiculed and mocked for believing in absolutely asinine things.

Not so bad if he's Muhammed Ali, extra bad if it's ISIS. The less of that delusional bullshit we have around, the better. The more we can divorce ourselves from ancient commandments, the better for our societies.

That shows itself in reality. The countries that take religion the least seriously, and are most secular, are also far and away the most successful nations on earth.

• Like Like x 3
  20. Why do you call fasting, starving? And [the fast of Ramadan] is only from dawn to sunset. That is truly a form of self-discipline, not eating pork doesn't kill a man and anyone who knows the diet and physiology of a boar, hog, or pig would understand why such an animal would be detrimental to ingest but that's another conversation for another time.

Why are you so adamant in seperating from ancient cultures? Where would you suggest humanity begin their story if not in the ancient past? Many customs and traditions of different societies have roots in their ancient past, so would say all men should forsake their culture for a one-world culture of humanity?

• Like Like x 2