Why do pilots get all the credit?

Discussion in 'General' started by Badfish90, Aug 13, 2012.

1. [​IMG]

2. But you shouldn't project your anger and bitterness onto other people who can't control your own circumstances.

3. No, but I take the bus all the time.

4. Is this the biggest thing in your life you have to worry about?

It's a non-topic. [​IMG]

5. Do you have any context to that post? Did you actually read this thread? I don't think you did because you would know it didn't have any relevance to the original topic.

If it is the biggest thing in my life I have to worry about, then that would make my life pretty good and worry-free. So I don't see how that's an insult.

6. i respect all of them. bus drivers have to put up with so much shit from people... taxi drivers have to worry about people car jacking, robbing, and or shooting him, pilots have to worry about weather, unruly passengers etc...pilots have to do a lot of work to get their license, and it is not easy to fly a plane. i do think that bus drivers and taxi drivers should get a little more respect, but there will always be asshole people, that take everything for granted,and dont give a shit about anyone beside themselves

7. #47 Scar 420, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    Any dip shit can drive. Very few people can fly a plane. Also should we over-glorify everyone's job. Should farmers be respected as the grow the food we eat? Should everyone that has a job be automatically respected by everyone? No. It takes a lot of skill to fly an airplane. I have been driving since before I could reach the pedals. Just because people are in the back doesn't mean they should be respected just cuz of their job. And if the air plane pilot fails. There is a good chance everyone on the plane will die. If a taxie driver fails, he more than likely only injure 1 or 2 people.

8. OP must drive buses for a living.

9. Pilots make way more money and go through a lot of training.

10. Even if I did, does that make my life any less than yours?

11. It's just that...this isn't such a big deal as you make it out to be.

12. I'm not making this out to be a big deal, just making an observation. I started the thread and feel the need to reply to people when they post in it.

13. Why should a pilot be given more respect, simply because he has had more training? How is he any better than the taxi or bus driver that probably got you to the airport in the first place?

With this logic, we should all be showing officers way more respect. I mean they've had all of that training right? Higher training, should not automatically equal respect.

It's unfortunate, but I see this behavior almost daily living in an upper class neighborhood. Of course, it really only ever comes down to one thing. They simply think they are better, because they have that college training under their belt.

Lol with all of that said, I've actually never been in a taxi, or ridden a public bus. Forth largest city in America, and we probably have the worst public transportation in the country lol.

14. Try to go drive a bus or taxi. Then go and try and fly a bigass plane thousands of feet in the air.

15. I don't put em on a pedestal, but they FLY a PLANE.... IN THE AIR man, not much margin for error while flying , I can imagine driving a train or bus but can never imagine flying a plane, can you just imagine being in that cockpit and , I'm still amazed to this day that planes can defy gravity like that.

16. When I was in kindergarten I couldn't imagine driving a car. But, I later took driver's ed and now it's easy.

If I was just thrown into the plane without any experience, I would be afraid. But, if I went through all the course worse and training, I think I could do it.

Still, just because it's hard isn't reason to be grateful. It's the service that you should appreciate.

17. #57 navymmw7, Aug 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2012
    I for one thank bus drivers every time I take a bus, it does take skill to safely drive a bus. However I think that Pilots have a harder job, and they do deserve more respect then a bus driver. Sure there is alot of automation in a cockpit, but it takes alot of knowledge and skill to properly use it. Its not like they have a siri in the cockpit and go "Siri, fly us to San Fransico," and that's it. There are many various systems which all have to be used properly within certain requirements and conditions to be safely used.

Here is a picture of a 737-800 cockpit, this is a very common aircraft in the United States. This just shows the large amounts of systems which are in aircraft and all of these require alot of studying to properly understand.
    [​IMG]

Now that just concerns the systems of the aircraft, Airline Pilots also have to know about the extremly complex flight environment they have to operate in. There are various different types of airports, airspace, approaches, departures which all have different restrictions and procedures. Here for example is an ILS into Boston Logan Intnerational Airport.

http://dtpp.myairplane.com/pdfs/NE-1/00058IL4R.PDF

They also have to know how to properly communicate with Air Traffic Control (I also want to add, Air Traffic Controllers deserve alot of credit, they have a very very VERY difficult job)

Sure Bus drivers have a difficult job, but they don't have to commit the same amount of effort into their job, they simply go to work, and that's it, there done. Airline Pilots are always learning new procedures, new restrictions, updating their flight manuals, and learning about new systems. They also have to plan their flight and take into account winds, weather patterns, etc...

For those reasons I believe Pilots do deserve more respect then a bus driver, I do however agree with you that bus drivers do deserve more credit then they currently get, I just don't think they deserve as much respect as an Airline Pilot, they are simply two very different carrier fields.

18. being a pilot is like nothing else. it takes true skill to opperate an airplane.
    i took an aviation class in high school, which was hard as fuck. the minimum requirements for even a licence for a small craft is 80hrs of flying. which amounts to about 15 to 25 grand.
    i got a chance to fly a training plane and when your actually up there it takes constant concentration. im lucky i had an instructor with, also class teacher.
    i give them respect cause i know their job is difficult and must be near flawless