Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Why Do People Light Joints/Blunts Away From the Mouth?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by TLF1088, Feb 15, 2009.

1. the end is rolled closed, if you light it like that without a hole in the end, it will burn on the bottom first and canoe.

so you burn the tip. and the paper thing is a bonus

2. ive got long hair so I light away from my face to prevent me from burning it. plus it burns even from the start.

3. i light it in my mouth.... puff puff puff, it's usually lit evenly by the 3rd puff.

4. i use a torch lighter and prefer to light it away from my face so i can burn off the little twisty end of the J or the extra paper on the end of the blunt, just the way I prefer to do it and that way I can make sure it's lit nice and evenly

5. a. so it doesnt run
    b. paper taste like shit im smoking weed here...

6. I get mad at people who spark joints like ciggarettes.

you wanna get that cherry nice and hot and burning evenly so you get no canoes and get the most out of the joint that you can.

oh, and spin it while you hit it.. I've always done that to try and prevent a canoe

7. To make sure you get a nice, even burn on your joint/blunt? I dunno, I switch it up between the two methods.

8. most of the time i light it in my mouth unless its just a little bit of paper then i burn the paper off and wait for the smell of that piff to start hitting the lbunt.

9. the way i learned to light a joint is to put it in my mouth and hold the flame a little bit away from it, then suck gently so it touches and doesn't all catch on fire. that's how i light it now.
    i'm guessing other people learned to light it away from their mouth, so that's how they do it. if you don't have a problem with inhaling the butane(i don't because i smoke cigs) then light it in your mouth.

10. The whole butane thing.. isn't the butane being like burned and destroyed? i have no idea but I never thought that you'd inhale any when using a lighter.

I remember I used to light exclusively away from my mouth, but now I usually always spark like a cig (just did before I read this!) I think if your rolling half decent and the whole joint is consistent like a cig then it shouldn't sideburn.

11. Why tear it?

Just burn it with the lighter,easyer and you aren't ripping at a perfectly good joint.

I never light it in my mouth in fear of my facial hair.
    Joints I just like a even cherry on and no inhaling just paper.
    Blunts, I light out of my mouth for a even cherry aswell.:smoke:

12. i usually light blunts in my mouth, i can get a even cherry pretty well....if there is extra paper i usually just dont inhale the first hit

13. I usually just light the tip of the joint letting some of the paper burn off, then put it in my mouth and light :D

14. Back in my blunt rolling days, (last summer, lol) we would pack the weed in and burn the paper down to the weed and put it out, and when we'd spark it we'd light it like you do a cigarette and it lit perfectly. Nah I mean?

15. i always light the twisted end on fire and then blow on it till the tail is gone and then light it up in my mouth.

16. It depends on how the blunt looks. Sometimes I light it away so it doesn't canoe but most times I just light it like a cig and it doesn't canoe.

17. I always do it just because I think that I might be sucking in some lighter fluid if I light it like a cig... Plus it does burn more even & I dont have to take a first hit of almost only paper :p