Why do people enjoy getting "fucked up"?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by ddd3, Apr 22, 2012.

1. I hear people all the time enjoying getting "fucked up" whatever that means. Apparently there are many ways to do this, with the most popular being taking a substance to mess up your brain or whatever.

I can't imagine why people would want to not remember a whole night that happened where they drank so much alcohol or smoked so much weed that they don't remember what they were doing the whole time. People actually enjoy losing their memory? I just don't understand it, but that's just me.

What are your thoughts on the question?

2. Its just the way things are.

3. There are many answers depending on the person...

Personally, I'm usually a very socially anxious/awkward person, so getting a bit fucked up is a release of sorts. It allows me to just talk, socialize, hangout, whatever, without being so overly conscious or paranoid about my actions.

I wouldn't say that I enjoy getting fucked up to the point of forgetting things, though. And I don't think most people enjoy that.
    Some people do, most of whom are probably either having trouble dealing with shitty things in their sober life and are looking for a release or else are very young and just want to get fucked up for the sake of getting fucked up.

But I think getting "high" or experiencing a "head change" in general is often times just the act of experiencing something new or different.

People try to call weed the "gateway" drug as far as that goes, but I would say that the "gateway" was just being a kid and getting high on sugar or spinning around in circles until you're so dizzy that you can't even stand.

To be honest, I guess it's just fun. :p

4. It's in our nature to desire intoxication. Whether it's to have a good time, or to escape.

5. I'm an introvert, but at my job I have to open up and talk to my coworkers. Interacting so much on a daily basis drains me to the point of exhaustion do getting fucked up lets me recharge and not completely shut down.

6. because it's fun too experiment with your consciousness. sometimes people like to know where the limits are (myself included). if you don't go over the limit, you'll never know where it is and that seems boring to me.

you gotta go to the limit at least once.

7. So I dont have to deal with real life.

Honestly, thats why I get "fucked up". Smoking weed is completely different.

I've had a lot of "issues" ever since i was 13-14 years old. It helps me escape reality and for awhile my problems arent as bad.

8. it is what it is

9. It feels really really really good. /thread

10. It's all about tolerance and crossing thresholds. To black out from alcohol you need to drink A LOT of alcohol.

11. Because people want to do fucked up things by nature, and alcohol and various other drugs give them the "excuse" to commit such acts, based on anecdotal evidence. I have NEVER had a lapse in judgment while drunk. I HAVE however thought, I could do this really crazy thing right now, and I'm really drunk, so I can blame it on the alcohol later. And if you act like you don't remember it long enough, and the people around you don't bring it up, it's like it never happened. Native Americans come to mind.

12. Good post OP.

While I believe there is merit in exploring states of consciousness, I generally believe that most (non-intelligent) human beings get "fucked up" to release stress/escape 'reality'.

I suppose most haven't discovered yoga/meditation for if they have, I'm sure the roads they had traveled down would have been more beneficial and wholesome ten-fold.

Honestly, I think it is almost a pathetic behavior for the most part as, in general, the "fucked-up" most people get is counter-intuitive to well-being.

13. True but what is it we are all trying to escape?

14. Whatever isn't working for you.

Irony is, trying to escape these things rather than understand them, is what fucks you up far more than any ramifications of getting fucked up so you don't have to.

15. to eclipse the emptiness of life.

16. Are you saying life is empty or just making a point?

17. People wanna feel good and relieve stress. :)

18. Is is necessary to get fucked up to do that though?

19. I get drunk as a bandaid to cover up my problems, anxiety and depression. During that 3-4 hours I'm shitfaced, it numbs my problems

This is a sign of an alcoholic lol