Why do people do drugs?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by emersonthecat, Jun 27, 2009.

1. I've been thinking a lot about this lately. I think for one thing it depends on the drug. I think generally people who use psychedelics use them for a different reason then a heroin user does. Personally, I casually use psychedelics sometimes with close friends, because it's fun and I think because it's not a usual expereince. I don't think I am running from pain or anything. I think I am just having fun with my friends. Personally, psychedelics in my opinion are pretty dumb to use to run away from problems, I usually end up getting confronted and facing them all to a point. The only other drug I really use recreationally is ritalin...I know, I know, it's shitty but you know what, I am not rich and I get it free and this is one I have actually thought hard about why I use because when I have it, it goes fast. I know its so shitty but I still do it. I think my main reason is bordom. I get so god damn bored, and so if I know there is something that will make me high, it's hard not to use it you know. I also like the short euphoria it gives me and how easy it makes it to talk to people and open up about stuff. That is actually generally what I use it for. I am meeting ppl Sunday to talk about some pretty intense stuff so I saved a few for that so I can open up easier. Other then that, I'm just bored and like the uphoria and how good it makes music sound, and chatting to ppl I usually would hate online.

I don't know about other ppl. I have a sister who is recovering from a crack addiction, doing amazing. I'm so proud. She is in NA and says that drug users generally are trying to not feel pain and deal with things. I think sometimes though drug addicts start off as medicating things they think are wrong with them, like how many people with ADHD abuse meth or coke, etc. Or even me, I realize I am using ritalin to 'fix' something. I don't think there is just one reason people use drugs, I am pretty honest with myself and I really don't think I am trying to run from problems, esp since I usually use up my ritlin quickly and have to wait til my next pickup at the pharmacy and i handle it. I honestly think I am just bored. I don't feel shitty without drugs, just bored and that I could have more fun. I know ritalin is so gross, I hate the comedown, I usually regret it but it's just free, and I can act normal on it and etc. So I guess it's convenient. I'm not willing to try anything like meth or etc. It just happens to be here and free. So lets not make this an "ew ritalin" thread haha. Stay on topic.

What do you all think? Why do you think you use drugs? I also smoke bud of course, but generally just to have fun, or mellow out, not to run from anything. Honestly, the drugs I have done have changed my life in that they have madem e FACE things, no run. I would probably have commited suicide if it wasnt for the first time doing LSD.

Anyways, opinions? Kind of random I know but I am just thinking and wanting to see what others think.

2. #2 Beautiful Mind, Jun 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2009
    Don't emphasize so hard on the "druggies are just running away from problems" Not all of us are ignorant.

I somewhat share the same reason you do, I get bored. I mean if me and some buds just chill play some games or watch a game, then I am not "seeking" drugs to make it better. I'm fine just chillin

And I can't really include weed in this as I just don't see it causing to much problems like pills or powders. It's only weed.

I think society makes drugs looks worse then what they really are, society shouldn't blame the drugs it should blame the weak minded.

Other times I do drugs, well that's for my personal fun (when I'm bored, which doesn't occur to much) and at parties :)

3. People use drugs....well...TO GET HIGH!
    haha..
    I use em because of boredom as well...and i dont like ritalin, makes me feel shitty
    adderal or dexedrrine is more of a choice for me though. :D
    Though weed is my favorite drug and willl always be :D

and the guy above me is right, society makes drugs look worse then they acctualy are.
    There are people who drink alcohol responsibly...and their are people that do not and their lives are hell becuase of it.
    Same with drugs. Moderation is the key...EXEPT WITH WEED! :D thats why I love weed so mutch

ALL DAY EVERYDAY BABY

4. I do drugs to get intoxicated, to enjoy the drug.

It's as simple as that.

5. i agree with MardemBay.
    drugs make you feel good, and who doesn't like feeling good??
    drugs have been around since people have, it's pretty much culture.
    and yes, moderation is key with any drug (except thc :hello:)
    i'm faded on codeine right now, and why is that? because it feels so damn good and it relieves my pain lol

6. i do drugs because you only live one life, and millions of people have gone and passed with the same life, at least on drugs - you FEEL DIFFERENT SHIT ***** WANT SUM JZ

7. most of the time It's because I'm bored, but I also smoke bud to relieve some stress which always seems to work :D I rarely use any other "drug" but if I do It's pretty much to just socialize and have fun with friends...

8. Better question, Why don't people do drugs?

9. because I feel like I am wound up and when I smoke a blunt or have a couple of shots or something it is like I unwind and all my problems go away

10. I use them for recreation:D same reason people hike, off-road, party, go out, etc. They're fun. Sure they're people that use them because they are addicted, or they need them to cope with something, but I believe most just use them for fun.:cool:

11. QFT

What people don't remember or know is that during the birth of America, Englishmen walked around with 'snuff pockets' which was cocaine! xD

12. To enjoy themselves and feel a nice sort of happiness or purity.

13. ah, the good old days:rolleyes:

14. I use or do drugs for recreation. Other's might use them for the same reason, as an escape for problems, to confront or solve problems, or even addiction. I'm sure there are other reasons, those are just some I could immediately think of.

15. for the experience and cause they're fun, imo

for tohers, cause they want to be cool or it's a release or whatever people can think up

hell, sometimes just cause

16. idk.. to me its just like watching tv.. or playing games or the guitar.. its just a passtime..

17. Sorry if this was already posted, I was just in a hurry to get this up ;)

People use drugs because your brain is constantly seeking pleasure. Things like food, water, sex, are all the most basic drives obviously but drugs can be just as strong (and in unfortunate cases, stronger) a drive as what is needed to keep you alive.

These kinda things release "feel good" chemicals in your brain, which drugs mimic. This is why sex feels so good, so people will want to keep the species going :D.

So yes, a better question would be..

18. because the voices tell me to :hide:

19. That is kind of the thing though, I have been sober for quite sometime and I find that I am a lot more giggly and happy than I would be if I was smoking pot.

Let me ask you blades, when was the last time you went clean for a month? Life is so much more pleasurable and fulfulling without any drugs, any worries really. Drugs just complicate so much. Keep it simple and live!