Why do people care so much about HP?

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by maryjane33, Oct 9, 2010.

1. The RSX, in my opinion is a crappy car. My ex had one and I hated driving it.

Its all about the thrill, nothing like hearing that exhaust and the feeling of being thrown into your seat when you drop the clutch.

2. I love the sound of it man. Turbomachines (in this case, turbo and superchargers) make the greatest noises when they're loaded.

3. Putting mods on a car is not building it themselves. Restoring a 69 Mustang is much more of a respectable car accomplishment. My gripe is with people who insist on trying to show off in public places that their car is fast/loud/whatever. I don't give a shit about getting to 100mph in 3 seconds. Unfortunately in NA, there are cops who will stop you for going above 80 in most states. If you track you're car, awesome. If you want to drive your performance sports car around town doing 50 in a 30 zone, you're not going to get much attention and the attention you get will often be the negative kind.

Do not get me wrong, I am an active car enthusiast, but there's no way I'm going to buy a 500HP car unless I'm going to drive it in a safe, and LEGAL environment (aka a track).

4. i dont care much for HP, just torque. low gears, big tires, and lots of rocks :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGwVIU80iy4]YouTube - WarPath New Mexico Extreme Rock Crawling Part 1[/ame]

5. The most dangerous place in the world is a public road. I drive like everyone is out to kill me. Having 280hp turbo helps me to get in front of all the 4cyl cars out there.

Life is too short to drive a shitty econo-box. Instead of getting the Kia Rio or a Toyota Yaris, upgrade to something decent, like a VW Golf, or a Cooper Mini S if you want something responsible and economical.

Hell yeah. Man that sound is so addictive when you're blasting through the gears at high rpms.

6. There's just something awesome about acceleration and speed. I love being in a fast car. My brother has a mustang that puts out about 450 hp and boy that thing is fun. We beat a BMW and maxed out the speedo. (160+) I have a street bike that pulls decent, it's not really fast by any means but it gets me where I need to go. :D

Our family has a TDI golf and I'd love to put a bigger turbo on it and a louder blow off valve. It would sound and perform so awesome and it would still get better MPG's than any gas car around town. I much prefer torque over horsepower though, I love pulling power in low revs. 8D

7. because HP (and many other aspects like Torque and handling) are fun.

and there are plenty of those "dumb HP machines" that are SOOO much safer than a civic, unless you have a 2006+ civic...my 13yr old BMW M3 (which probably was cheaper than your car) comes standard with side airbags, front dual, ABS, traction control (never have it on :rolleyes:)

and because all of us want to be our heroes one way or another, Id kill to have the 10th of a life as Ayrton Senna, some people like rally, touring cars, F1...and we emulate that in our car choices.

oh, and slowing down (braking) is just as fun as speeding, I can stop in 60% of the distance as your "safe civic" which probably has drum rears...and its fun watching your friend's face fly into the windshield (figuratively) is priceless

8. I have a really powerful computer. I think I can relate to a car enthusiast. Lots of power is lots of fun. obviously with a car gets poor gas mileage you're not going to be driving on a daily basis.

When your spending the money people with 400+ HP are spending on their cars, it's because it's their hobby and they have money to spare. If they didn't have the money, they wouldn't have the car. People like that don't barrow money for their hobbies, so it's not a waste.

I take flak from my friends about my spending on my computer. They are poor and I am middle class. I tell them if they had a decent job(in my area unemployment is 4% and most of the jobs are factory jobs that make renting 20% of your income) they could get a hobby that costs a few thousand $$ a year.

9. what do you drive?

i get ~25mpg out of 4.9L v8 that makes ~395hp. highway driving, combined is more like 13mpg.

well, not sure what autojunkie is driving, but i have an engine swapped car, probably one of the only ones in existence like it, so there's nothing online. but you're more than welcome to come up to maine, fill up my car's gas tank, and go for a long burn ride to witness the magic of getting >10mpg.

they burn waaay more than 5 gallons - if the equivalent was put into the average passenger car it would take that passenger car over 1000 miles. amazing isn't it?

10. It so is man. I love opening up that throttle and hearing the harmonic whine of the roots type supercharger in my Cooper S as the engine pushes closer to the redline, or hearing a turbo's spool spin up to a scream of unimaginable speed only to start over again with the squeaky sound of the BOV as you kick the clutch to the floor and slam it into fourth, jerking about in your seat as the torque takes you in again...

fucking poetic, man

11. Mini Cooper ...lol

I agree with the majorities opinion though.
    Being a commuter, fuel economy is a big factor in my driving habits...
    but Speed Thrills.

Its like a quick rush, an easy way to get my adrenaline rush... switch my mood, get my mind of something and onto something else.

Nothing beats getting on the throttle with your favorite music blasting ... radar detector set to high (volume).

I occasionally end up racing some random person on the road, it becomes a matter of getting ahead (like an aggressive game) ... but it can get dangerous Very quick.

When money become irrelevant, I got my eyes firmly set on a Gt-R35.

12. please share the details of this swap. and top dragsters burn alky it doesnt last near as long as gas put the alky from a dragsters tank in a passenger car and 1. it wouldnt work because the passenger cars engines no where near capable of burning top of the shelf alky like that (its about $16 a gallon and its not the stuff they are wanting to make cars run on for the whole green thing) 2. it wouldnt run a block before it was gone. those cars run more air than fuel because fo the type of fuel can use the extra air. study up before you make these claims

13. claim, eh? notice i said equivalent. like, octane rating. :rolleyes:

anyway, to the swap. basically this:

[​IMG]

into one of these

[​IMG]

14. Some people like fast cars, some people don't care. Obviously you don't.

I'll take my carbon spitting, torque monster V8 over a little grocery getter any day. ;)

15. I know this is off topic, but to the people that hate on the emissions and all the pollutants they spit out take a look at where the electricity comes from to power your electric car, or how the batteries are made.

Top Gear swayed my mind when it comes to electric cars. For the Prius they mine some shit in Canada, then ship to across the ocean on huge carbon emitting tankers to Europe to refine it, then they send it to china to be made into a foam of sorts (which by the way is EXTREMELY toxic to the environment) and then to Japan where they put it in the batteries. Now tell me that electric cars are good for the environment.

They also did a test where I Prius was driven around their track at top speed for 10 laps and a BMW M3 followed it the entire time. The Prius got 17 mpg and the BMW got 19, further proving that it's how you drive not what you drive. (to a point)

16. fuck top gear - all biased bullshit.

17. no offense dude but more than half of the "sceintifics" youve wrote in this thread were pulled out of ur ass. lmao i called you out on the alky thing and you said some shit about octane rating?? octane rating only applies to gas alky would be somewhere around 350 octane. please dont try to sway people to green shit with b.s

18. To OP,

Its obvious you're not really a car guy. Sure, you like to clean your car, drive slow and get good gas mileage. You just use you car for transportation and for no enjoyment value.

However, a true car guy IMO could care less what gas mileage he gets, drives his car fast, takes it to the track and spends everything he's got and then some of makin sure he's beating his buddy in one way or another.

I love cars and always will. Gimme horsepower and gimme speed.

-Robb

19. i'm not try to "sway people to green shit" lol.

my last car got ~15mpg, 10 if i was pushing it. i'd be a hypocrite to try. :rolleyes:

20. ok my bad. you seem like a kool dude so i didnt wanna call you out but alot of your post in this threads seem like b.s to me maybe im wrong