Why do my plants keep DYING!!!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Tyrell, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Yeh that was before I seperated the male and frmal.. had my light to close...

2. 2 terms for you

KIS Keep it simple.

LIFTA Leave it the fuck alone.

Just saying most beginners kill out of love. Over watering, and feeding. When your just starting out this is especially important, because the more factors you include in the process the harder it is to figure out what's going wrong when it does.

You say there was 3-4 inches between nodes of the plants that died? 3 things can cause this.

1 genetics, since your using bagseed can't be sure.

2 insufficient lighting/incorrect lighting.

3 excessive heat.

My suggestion from what little I've seen so far of your setup, is gradually turn the fan to blow on them. The back and forth will strengthen the stems. Once they are stronger damping off is less of a risk. Wait until the top few inches of soil is dry before you water. Once you get more experience you can tell by how heavy the containers are.

Next time fill those cups, or any container about an inch to the top. This will make life easier.

In the future consider the more detailed you are in describing your setup and in your questions, the more detailed answers you will get back. Otherwise you may get people guessing at the problem. That will get you nowhere. Read other journals, lots of info in the city!

PS you already had some very knowledgeable chime in before me, Jerry, and stormcrow, to mention a few.

Best of luck.

3. I've actually learned a few things.. leave an inch or two out of the cups beacause I can add more to hold em steady.. let them get dry because this makes the roots stretch for water and increase in size.. keep light close to prevent stretching.. leave them on 24/0 for atleast 2 weeks.. give nutes at 1/4 strenght..when should I start nutes ?

4. Id say 2 weeks atleast to start feeding...... The whole letting them dry out is what was hardest for me, they just looked thirsty all the time lol. But after 3 days now, letting them dry out, they look so much happier and are actually speeding up in growth, goona go a couple more days without watering. But anyway, make sure you dont overwater, youll have much more success and alot less heart ache.

5. start nutes when the baby leaves shrivel up and the foliage starts being less deep (lighter green)

6. Yeh I overwatered overfed burnt crushed cracked cut and let the temp get 110+ for hours...let it get below 50 a couple nights.. anf they thrived.. that should let you know its ditch weed lmao

7. Whats wrong with this one ?

ForumRunner_20121111_120903.png

8. Nothing. Thats normal.

9. i still have 10 cups that havent sprouted yet.. whats the deal with those ?

10. they could just be unhealthy seed. These things really are weeds

11. So I can expect better results with seed bank seedz ?

12. typically, you get what you pay for assuming that unviable seeds is your problem

13. The soil aswell. To many nutrients will pop a root, but will just kill it.

14. I would advise frequenting gardening sites before cannabis forums, or the organic growing section of GC :D,

Why complicate something so simple, you don't need any germinating solution, soaked paper towels, cup of water ,nothing, just pop the seed in some moist soil, then leave it be in a warm place till sprout, then under a fluorescent light, NEVER FAILS, unless you have an ancient seed or something.

check out the links jerry posted, its a staple of information, and helpful tidbits.

15. [quote name='"badboy287"']I would advise frequenting gardening sites before cannabis forums, or the organic growing section of GC :D,

Why complicate something so simple, you don't need any germinating solution, soaked paper towels, cup of water ,nothing, just pop the seed in some moist soil, then leave it be in a warm place till sprout, then under a fluorescent light, NEVER FAILS, unless you have an ancient seed or something.

check out the links jerry posted, its a staple of information, and helpful tidbits.[/quote]

That's what I did...so far I'm 5 out of 15....

16. #96 passthebilly, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2012
    I can't speak for soil as I'm a hydro guy, it is possible to germ in rockwool and then put in soil though, not sure if it's worth it.

I started with 12 seeds and now I'm only flowering the 4 girls (and their 18 clones), the rest I have culled for being male or never sprouted. I cloned the strongest two and the other two went directly to flowering. Don't worry about germination rates too much just keep it simple like everyone has said. You might get a few more babies sprout, they're likely to be weak and slow, but don't give up just yet.

All you need is one strong plant, then clone the shit out of it.

They look healty man. :smoking:

17. well most of the seeds i have coming are auto flowering.. dont think you can clone those or if you can i wouldnt know how.. i heard you should LST them but i dont know that technique yet either.. im still learning alot

18. #98 Tyrell, Nov 13, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
    I just feel like she isnt getting any light underneath.. 2nd week flowering.. she has hardly any branches..I think I put her into flowering to early.. think maybe I can get one big top cola.. think I should trim a leaf or two to get some inside light ?
    And how long till those brown spots go away ? I gave her some CaMg.. about 4 days ago..

ForumRunner_20121113_150846.png

19. I'm having the same problem. I have gone through two orders of seeds now, more than thirty imported hybrids total, and of the about two dozen I had gotten to germinate, all of them fell over and died after a few days of being above the ground. The problem is there's too much advice on grow forums, and a great deal of it contradicts each other. My guess is that most growers aren't experts, and know the actual science behind growing weed, but simply goes with what has worked for them, and many times what works for one person is the dead opposite of what works for another. I'm not going to use female names since I rarely see them weighing in on these forums. Examples of my own frustration:

1) John,a successful grower, tells me to use a CFL with a red-band frequency range. 
    2) Joe, a successful grower, tells me to use a CFL in the blue-band frequency range.
    3 Tony, a successful grower, tells me to place the CFL at least twelve inches above the seedlings.
    4) Nate, a successful grower, tells me to place the CFL very close to the seedling since the light from these is not intense or hot.
    5) Mike, a successful grower, tells me to use 20% perlite and 80% coco coir to start my seedlings since this helps with drainage and air issues.
    6) Jack, a successful grower, tells me to use 80% coco coir and 20% perlite.
    7) Paul, a successful grower, tells me to go 50/50 with coco coir and perlite.
    8) Mitch, a successful grower, tells me to go with this type of soil.
    9) Bob, a successful grower, tells me to go with another type of soil since he doesn't like Mitch's soil.
    10) Mark, a successful grower, tells me to use a humidity domes or propagation enclosures.
    11) Ray, a successful grower, tells me to avoid high humidity and domes, but have the seedlings in the open air with maybe a small fan blowing on them.

I could add many more examples here, but I think I had made my point. I'm not taking shots at anyone, and I appreciate the fact that people are trying to help people like me, but try to see this information overload from our eyes  :laughing: Yes, it's enough to drive me bonkers, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way. 

After purchasing virtually every type of growing bulb you possibly could, including all types of CFLs and even metal halide and sodium HIDs, almost every type of growing medium possible, I've blown a great deal of money and time on both higher electric bills, growing equipment costs and expensive seeds it has been a frustrating experience for me to say the least. This strikes me as odd since I'm actually very experienced at gardening, and have successfully germinated and grown all types of flowers, plants and vegetables. I have the common sense to understand what the difference is between wet soil, muddy soil, moist soil and dry soil is. I'm aware of what temperature extremes are too.

It has been my experience, including my own and that of others, that the most difficult part of growing cannabis is the first two weeks of the seedling stage. Germination is easy, but getting the sprouts to survive into the beginning of the vegetative stage is the most difficult part of the growing process. I have grown bag seed weed before many years ago, and it has been my experience that when the plant makes it to the two week mark, weed really does start to grow like a pesky backyard weed, and can take a beating, and recover from it with adjustments. I wish more advice was geared towards the seedling stage, but sometimes the best way to find what you're looking for is to look at the science behind all seedlings, since most of these from different plant species share similar vulnerabilities. 

What I had found is that there are several types of bacteria that causes a disease known as damping off. Damping off isn't the bacteria itself, but the effects of this disease. Damping is the major cause of seedling deaths, and not only in cannabis, but most other plant species as well. In fact it's such a serious issue that many commercial farmers spend a great deal of money on anti-bacteria agents just to ward this disease off. If I was a betting man I'm betting you're having the same problem as me with damping off. A sign of this disease is many times the seedling will look like it's thriving, then next time you go to check on it you'll see a dimple in the stem, and the sprout had fallen over. This disease can do different things too, but that's usually the symptom. There are other culprits that others have mentioned here that can cause your seedlings to die to such as too much or little watering, lack of drainage, temperature extremes and too much light, but since I'd eliminated these as the possible culprits I know my seedlings had dampened off. I'm not sure if your seedlings are damping off, but check on this before moving on.

Here's what I've discovered about the real science behind cannabis seedlings and damping off. Excessive moisture is the leading cause of damping off, so make sure you're using a growing medium that drains well, and are using a container with adequate amounts of drainage holes. Stagnant air is also a major culprit, so the advice was to make sure you're growing in a room with adequate air circulation, and some experts recommend a small fan blowing on your seedlings. Light also hinders damping off bacteria growth, so make sure you give your seedlings at least some type of light. Cannabis seedlings do not need humidity domes since they get their moisture through their roots. Humidity domes are more vital for clones until they develop their own roots, but unlike seedlings, clones are far less likely to succumb to damping off. Once the cannabis plant reaches the vegetative stage its roots are developed enough to ward off the damping off bacteria. You also have to be careful not to infect new growing equipment, mediums, utensils and seeds/seedlings with the bacteria from previously infected material. It's recommended to sanitize all of your growing paraphernalia with heat to kill off mold, bacteria and other harmful living organisms. Experts have also recommended using light in the blue wave frequency spectrum, like a cool white CFL or metal halide light, since this supposedly promotes lusher vegetative growth, and is closer to emitting light in the same frequency range of the sun. Red light band CFLs or sodium HIDs are recommended for the budding stage.

I have planted my last northern light seed, four mystery hybrids, and a older bag seed that I was lucky enough to get to germinate. So far I have three seedlings above the ground. If none of you hear from me for a while then assume the worst. Hopefully my advice will help someone here, though I apparently suck at growing weed myself, though I'm great growing everything else. Maybe I have bad genetics, or maybe my bad karma is killing my plants  :confused: It has been my experience that each seedling can behave differently in the exact same growing circumstances.

20. #100 waktoo, Jun 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2014

If you are interested in learning about living soil systems and essentially eliminating all of the problems that you've experienced in the past, visit the organics forum.  No BS, no stoner science, no misinformation perpetrated by the grow "gurus" that write cannabis "grow bibles" or the people that regurgitate such information will willful enthusiasm (without really understanding the information that they are passing on to someone else).

The grand majority of posters in the organics forum understand soil chemistry, soil microbiology, and plant physiology.  Plus a whole lot of other stuff.  We know how to build and maintain "water only" soils that need no pH adjusting that you can use over and over and over again.

Genetics and karma aside, you are simply a victim of bad information

Stop on by and see what you think...

http://forum.grasscity.com/organic-growing/

The invitation is open to anyone and everyone!  :wave:  

And yeah, the OP's issue is damping off, for anyone down the road that may be experiencing similar woes...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_off