Why do all modern games rely on murder for fun?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Jdahms, Jan 25, 2011.

1. #41 Jdahms, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    The majority of the games I play are shooter/action games.

No in the 90s there were no where near the level of shoot em up games as there are now and they did not dominate the market the same way.

Im not arguing against violence in video games man.

Also i think there is a huge difference between cartoony violence like in donkey kong and super smash bother and killing rampages in modern shooters. There has been a huge shift away from cartoony violence in games

2. are those really games though. i guess so. or more like a toy that uses a TV screen. guitar hero and rock band are essentially bop it.

3. bop it never blew up like guitar hero or rock band did tho. how would you not consider them games?

4. Other than racing games and sports games and puzzle games MOST games in the 90s revolved around killing.

5. #45 Hydroriffic, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    dgaf because shooting and blowing up shit is entertaining. OP do you watch action flicks? its the same deal. Its human nature. Rock band is kinda gay tho, that may be another reason why games involve killing, its socially accepted.

6. goes a little deeper than that

biggie died and then rap went down the toilet

7. Fair enough. I guess developers feel violence is the best way to take advantage of the new technology?

8. This would make sense since developers creating a WW2 game don't have to worry much about the story or gameplay as opposed to developers creating a completely new and innovative game.

A WW2 FPS, in terms of gameplay and story, would require you to play a part in major historical battles/tasks/missions, being able to shoot, pick up, customize a wide variety of weapons, and just generally feel like your in the military which are all information relatively easy to find(battle locations, guns used, quoted dialog...).

This lets them focus on the engine, graphics, and Ai. Players just pick the controller and start shooting people; simple. I would use call of Duty as an example but they don't even add much new shit, modern warfare 2 and black ops look almost identical maxed out on my PC when switching between them (minus a shader or 2?).

9. Lets see, on my shelf for the 360 there is:

Beautiful Katamari
    Shaun White
    NHL09
    a slew of racing games
    Guitar Hero 2,3,4 and Rockband 1,2

Those are from a collection of about 40 games. The rest having some sort life ending crap in there somewhere be it very little of very over the top.

Then theres all the pc games. Tons of simulations that don't involve death and racing games. I'd say about 90% of my collection is violent.

10. every game I can think of always involed killing something or someone....

11. You havent played a lot of 90s/early 2000s games then

12. I like violent video games.

Weapons and death just facinate me. Whats not to like?

Also sport games are fun too.

13. i hate that the majority of games for the 360 are shooters.

wheres the adventure? the wild imagination that game developers used too have?

and the music sucks too.

14. ever get your hands on a multi million dollar race car and then drive it however the fuck you wanted?

no? i did just 5 minutes ago, i then went to the mountains of japan and practiced drifting down the side of a mountain at break neck speeds. grid the racing game is by far my favorite racing game. next in line is dirt 2 because theres nothing like driving a rally car.

if you only play games with violence you are missing out on MANY other great games.

15. Simcity 4
    Cities XL

Basically any simulation game is non violent except for Spore if you want to classify that as violence.

The only reason violence is more prominent in today's games compared to the early 90's and 2000's because people were just beginning to accept the violence in this genre.

Remember the first Doom? Or the first Wolfenstien? Do you remember how society greeted these games? They absolutely hated them because they taught they were so violent. There is an ambundance now because its not frowned on how it use to be back when they were first introduced.

They've gotten use to it though. At least most of them.

16. buy a nintendo or hello kitty land ^_^​