Why do all modern games rely on murder for fun?

Discussion in 'Gamer's Heartbeat' started by Jdahms, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Solitaire. 'Nuff said.

2. don't forget chess!!! Chess high is fucking great

3. So the consensus from you crazy fucks is that "we cant have fun without killing."

lol pretty funny

ima play some viva pinata

4. It's an interesting question. I recently watched a doc about video game violence on netflix called "moral combat". It was very fair. Anyway, in it, a guy from Sony talks about how violence is inherent in video games because in the early days it took much less processing power to cancel out an opponent i.e. asteroids, than to interact with one. It took off fro there, + like most people said, it sells.

5. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky-JUL0SDDs]YouTube - LittleBigPlanet 2: Adventure Trailer (LBP2)[/ame]

6. Because: shooting animated objects on your screen is fun. Not shooting real people in real life.

This question is like asking "why do all pregnancies require conception?"

7. No its not like that at all. Early video games did not require killing.

it wasnt until recently that killing was the main focus of games.

I remember even in the 90s games that focused only on killing were not NEARLY as common as they are now.

just because you guys grew up with games like these doesnt mean the rest of us did

8. I don't agree with you but I can say that the killing has become more gruesome. For example, in the older games like golden eye and such you couldn't blow peoples limbs off or decapitate them like in GOW.

9. well i mean i played a lot of games in the 90s where killing things was secondary to other elements. I think this actually led to more interesting gameplay. now we're seeing that most games main focus is killing.

it hasnt become more gruesome its just that there are more games with that level of gore now.

10. I play viva pinata! :hello: No murdering.

11. I guess it all depends on the games you play. If your playing multiplayer games such as the cod series of course its based on killing but if you get into the story lines of the single player games it can be really fun and have killing people just part of the story not the main part.

12. #32 Jdahms, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
    you arnt suggesting the single player in call of duty isnt designed solely to give you crazy ways to murder hundreds of people are you lol

edit: did anyone play this?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2y-n88iZSc[/ame]

one of my all time favs. you still "killed" things but it was secondary to puzzle and platforming elements

13. I didn't mean cod as a single player game...but black ops actually has a really good story and its not all about killing...

14. dude what.

you watch some cutscenes then go shoot a bunch of people then watch more cut scenes then shoot people while in a helicopter....

15. I guess you could see it that way, but you have to look for the deeper meaning of things. A lot of people can't enjoy rap because they can't get they're heads around the foul language.

16. come on man you are talking nonsense here. there is no "deeper message" in a game that all you do in is kill people.

Call of duty is seriously the worst example of a game that isnt about murder.

17. It's not like that at all? Haha okay, your subjective on the matter: you don't like shooter/action games obviously then.

There was plenty of "violent" games around in the 80s and 90s, they just didn't look as good.

"Violence" in video games is completely harmless unless your a sociopath who chooses to merge it with reality. Don't tell me your one of those liberals who tie violent crimes to video games :rolleyes:.

18. He might be, but some of us just like the more creative video games, i know what he means.

There are alot.

I prefer non gory video games and will play them any chance i get. The only really violent video games i'll play are like resident evil and cod.

Idk, that kung fu panda game cracked me up. I'm just saying, it wasn't really real violence, it's cartoon violence which has been going on forever.

19. Don't blame the games though. There are so many games out right now, by indie producers and small companies that are creating video games with new innovative ways of entertainment that don't involve killing.

The killing ones are rather popular, because that's what sells to the majority.

20. Can't believe you guys over looked guitar hero and rock band