Why did my HPS blow up?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Kraftsingles00, Feb 2, 2018.

1. I am curious if anybody knows why a high pressure sodium bulb would blow on the first initial start up? I had to change my MH to HPS bulbs. Both are 1000 W and from the same manufacture, last night on the initial start up the HPS blew and the hood started smoking. Not exactly sure why this happened, it was a Ipower kit that I bought off Amazon

I just picked up a magnum XXXL reflector and horticulture super HPS. I am terrified to say the least to start this up

Does anybody have experience in this? Was it a manufacture it hurt? Did I do something? I did remove the glass from the hood and I wonder if some trace amounts of moisture were able to get on the bulb overnight before it started up.

Any insight or information of any experiences you may have had would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance

One last thing, if my playlist will hook up to my new reflector is it safe to use?

2. Voice text sorry. Not playlist.... ballast

3. Did you touch the bulb? Possibly oils from your hands or maybe something else contaminated the bulb. I always wipe my bulbs down with a dry lint free cloth like a terry cloth or even a paper towel before installing them just in case me or something i didn't even know about left oils or residues behind.

It could also of been a power surge, something wrong with the ballast, malfunctioning/shorted out bulb. There's several things it could be. Rather or not your ballast is safe would depend on what happened and that would be hard to call based on the info you have.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I had a bulb do that to me yrs ago
    Scared me good, I change the bulb out to a new one and it was fine
    chalked it off to a badly made bulb.
    I too always wipe them down , better yet where thin cotton gloves when you handle them
    And never try to remove a HOT Bulb, it will burn you badly.

5. killset also brings up some good points
    Might want to packed that whole thing up and ship it back for replacement.
    Reason: Defective unit ...................

6. You may want to also research ballasts Ipower does not have a great review.

• Like Like x 2
  7. No idea but I would call it fate. Cmh or led is more economical and better quality smaller nugs

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

8. HPS has proven itself as one of the best types of grow lighting, if you believe otherwise I'd doubt you've ever used them. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. No they were good I flowered for over a year with them I just don't have the proper ventilation inside and I like a little cooler light. Cmh better[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

10. Yeah the ballast doesn’t have the best reviews, I may go and get a new one. I tested out the new hood (sunIight supply magnum xxxl 6”)along with the new Lamp(hortilux super HPS) it fired right up and ran beautifully. When I installed the bulbs I used disposable gloves (oil and powder free)and I noticed that the bulb that blew up (the ipower)looked like it had some discoloration on the inside, almost black spotting on the inner part but I didn’t know what I was looking at because this is my first grow and I’m not familiar with how things look.

Long story short I’m hoping it was a cheaply made HPS and I can update my ballast in a few weeks and call it good... I’m going to watch the lamp tonight like a hawk and make sure everything’s good...
    Plus the new hood is 2x the size of my old one and wayyyyyyy better quality picture attached (lower hood is the ipower junk)

Attached Files:

11. Love the shade i got the 8inch spigot version. Very good light. Take the bulb bk get a new one and fire up. The black inside is normal