Why can't some people SWIM?

Discussion in 'General' started by Yafeelsogood, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Some people have too much anxiety, almost got drowned, has some form of trauma, etc etc.

However your damn body naturally floats in the water so even if you can't do a stroke you can manage to stay afloat and wait for help.
    Or some people just think the ability to swim will never benefit them in their lives so they never bother to learn how to stay afloat.

I hear of people getting drowned in the water every summer (actually almost weekly but more prevalent during summer). Some skills seem unimportant but little things like this can sometimes save your lives.

yeah, swimming in ocean or river with fast current, etc. are different story but I am specifically referring to cases where water is just deep and stagnant.

2. You aren't born knowing how to swim and some people just never learn.

3. People drown because they get caught in rip tides and currents, not necessarily because they can't swim. They panic trying to get out but just end up tiring themselves out, passing out, and sinking.

4. Well I've lived on islands my entire life so I learned when I was six. I never understood why people would go into a large body of water knowing that they can't swim.

5. My grandma never learned and she only stays in the shallow end when she uses our pool lol.

6. I saw a kid drown the other day it was pretty fucking real man. He got caught in a current I think.

7. I'm glad people here don't SWIM. Every time a person uses SWIM, a child in Africa dies.

8. mi no comprende

9. They are fat, lazy, and or not Caucasian.

10. Yeah if I couldn't swim I wouldn't go anywhere near any large bodies of water

11. I was taught to swim since the age of 5 I think, Me and my 2 brothers. I think its something everyone should learn, even if your some obese person.

Infact I love swimming best feeling ever.

12. Whoa tell us more

13. I wonder this too, We had a kid come tubing around my pond, and we were like 12 or so, and he swam in a pool and shit before, it was a 4' pool but i thought he'd still understand how it works.. But he jumped outta the boat and started bobbin up n down like a fishin float lol, My dad had to jump in after him.. And he was no more than 15 feet from the bank of the pond.

Its not such a big deal to not know how to swim, but dont directly put ur life in danger like that... If u cant swim, let it be known... Someone could throw ya in the pool or something at some point in ur life not knowing u cant swim.

14. am I missing something here

15. i mean...i really cant float that well without kicking but i can swim sure. i always thought it was muscle vs fat that made you a floater or non floater

16. I can't swim

I dunno, I just never learned. And I've tried to learn a little bit but I'm no good at it. I can kinda get myself across a pool if I try but I'm nowhere near good enough to go in deep water. I can't tread either

I don't really care though. I kind of hate the water so it's not like I have any incentive to learn. Once in a while I like to get fucked up and do something like water volleyball or set up a trampoline next to a pool and do jumps.. but we always do that in 5ft. So there's really no reason for me to learn

17. No one attains a skill before learning.
    However my point is, our body naturally float in the water (and even if you sink at first, density of water increases as you go down)

18. i dont belive humans were made to swim it wasnt really a skill primitive man needed so i dont think swimming comes naturally to many and some people just never bothered to learn as for the floation aspect of it i dont know why but if you arnt calm and you freak out you WILL sink

19. Basically me and some mates were at a quarry filled with water that people go to round our area. Obviously it's dangerous as shit in the water so I don't swim in it (I go in with a raft) but people do. There was about 100+ people there on this day. And a group of 30 were jumping off a cliff into the water.

Then this 14 year old kid jumps in. Returns to the surface shouting "help me" and goes back down. And the rest on the people standing on that cliff didn't do shit.They just stood there.

fast forward an hour and theres 2 helicopters, 40+ policemen, 3 scuba divers there trying to get this kids body out. Which they didn't for another 8 hours.

Raw stuff man.

20. their parents are dicks and didnt get them lessons as a kid?