Why cant i cook rice..such a simple item..but i fuck it up,,everytime.

Discussion in 'General' started by chicken, Apr 5, 2009.

1. AM I THE ONLY PERSON THAT CANT COOK RICE WORTH A SHIT...

each time i make it,, it comes out looking like oatmeal....and for a dude, i can cook like a mo-fo...

..but for some reason rice,, and me dont get along....

..:rolleyes:

2. #2 Anony, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
    Actually, Ive learned a lot about rice recently. Good staple food when broke.
    Depends on the type (what do you buy? , also make sure your measuring exactly correct also obviously), and I have a method for you to try.
    When reading the instructions, first try them (obviously), then you can play with the water to rice ratio, the next couple of times you do it to see what works best. (every kitchen cookes different rices differently). Most are 2 to 1 water to rice ratio, and I actually use a tad less water. (If its mush, you have too much water)
    Also, try this, preheat your oven to 350, boil the water for the rice in an oven safe pot, dump the rice in the pot with a dash of salt and a half teaspoon of butter, then place it in the oven covered, for 20 minutes without stirring.
    But keep an eye on it as different ovens run different temperatures compared to the dial.
    Rice with bbq chicken
    Rice with pork steaks
    Rice with fried veggies and fried shrimp
    Rice balls with seaweed and soy sauce
    A big bowl of Rice, lemon sauteed broccoli and snap peas and grean beans is always yummy.
    The other night, i was totally baked and made boiled beef ravioli and packed them into the center of rice balls. Sprinkled on some hawt sawce, was delicious.

3. Beef. It's whats for dinner.

4. If you eat a lot of rice, get a rice cooker. Not one of the really cheap ones (those are basically crock pots), but a good electronic one like a zojirushi. Add rice, add water, set the timer, and you get perfect rice every time.

5. pour your rice in the pan you are using

look and the top and remember where that is.

empty rice and fill with water to the line where the rice was plus half that amount, get it?

add butter and a little salt and thats it

boil h2o and add rice

TURN OFF FLAME

stir for 5 minutes and then put the top on.

Viola done.

6. PENOLOPE....ive pondered the thought of getting a rice cooker.....

because i can steam vegtables with it also...

my girl tells me i go wrong when i stir the rice...

she says dont stir it,,, and i stir '' EVERYTHING''...

i think in the future i will get a steamer...it's the only way i see me ever preparing a good dish of rice...

im also going to get a dehydrator,,,,going to make my own beef jerky this summer..:cool:

7. She's right that you're not supposed to stir it if you're cooking it on the stove top.

But a rice cooker still makes better rice. It's what they use in asian restaurants to get perfect white rice. I also use mine for veggies, rice pilafs, risotto, oatmeal (and other grains), applesauce, etc. I use it almost every day.

8. I can cook dirty rice, is that the same thing?

9. Maybe you should try couscous instead? I mean it's hard to fuck up rice, but even harder to fuck up couscous

10. oooh... my rice cooker makes awesome couscous. :laughing:

11. Damn, now you're seriously making me consider getting a rice cooker.

My pasta maker is the shit, I'll have to check and see if they also make a rice cooker, cause rice and couscous are both staples in my diet.

12. I think I fucking love rice come to think of it. Never tried to make it.

I let the asians take care of that.

13. Rice cookers/steamers etc? Lmao.

Boil, strain, serve, not hard guys :rolleyes:

But seriously, cooking rice is like cooking pasta, wait till it's "al dente"
    and your good to go.

14. damn, chicken and rice go so well with each other. You gotta learn a good strategy. I cant cook for a damn so im not much help here. Sorry this was a useless post.:eek:

15. what the hell is COESCUS ?:cool:

16. rice? i'm american so no.

any good american will tell you paying 3 cents for a bowl of food is unpatriotic.

17. i tried cooking rice in the microwave
    and i swear to jebus the package said cook for 15-20 minutes
    so me being high and hungry put a glass bowl full of rice with water in the micro
    set it to 15 minutes
    go watch tv
    come back and the fucking bowl was completely shattered and there was a mess all up in my micro
    sad day

18. Don't knock it till you try it, SEMS! A good rice cooker makes waaaaay better rice then cooking it on the stove top. Especially brown rice.

The cheap rice cookers, on the other hand, are pretty worthless.

19. #19 Diceman, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2009
    Shit I make great rice.

I open the bag...put the right amount of water in then stick the bag in the microwave.

3minutes later I got rice :D

I can't cook worth a shit. It's eat-able at best. Meat I can make fine but that's easy and it's never anything amazing.

#1 requirement for wife. Has to be able to cook good(mexican food is always a bonus)
    #2 good ass
    If I had the cash though...I would hire a cheff. I think the shits worth it. I don't wan't some amateur fuckin up any 2" steak :D

Hey...just outta curiousity...this isn't your chickens rice your trying to cook right? I don't know how that shit would turn out. Do you even feed your chickens rice? Barred out...ramblin

20. Yeh i know but :p

Ill stick to my pot, just because it serves me so well.

On a side note, i bought a pressure cooker for my curry's......
    BEST INVESTMENT EVER!