Why be against legalization?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Retsii, Nov 29, 2013.

1. If there's one thing that confuses me with the whole legalization issue, it's those who oppose it. Sure, there are some cons to it being legalized but I believe the good outweighs the bad by a tenfold:
    • Since it is legal, you no longer have to buy from a dealer and you can grow your own weed without fear, as well as buy from a licensed shop. For the most part, you'll know exactly what is in it, where it's coming from, the quality, the strain, amongst other benefits. No more lacings.
    • No more being drug-tested for marijuana. Enjoy your toking freedom AND working!
    • No law enforcement.
    • Perhaps in the next decade or two, just like how there are beers offered in stadiums, small edibles could be available as well (so you don't have to deal with the "WHOA MARIJUANA SMOKE!!!!!" paranoid mothers).
    • Research will no longer be limited on the plant, since it is legal.
    Now here are some cons I can see:
    • Very strict regulation and high taxes
    • Don't think you can light your joint outside and smoke around, with the uproar against tobacco smoking in public, those same people will group marijuana in there too
    • Big Tobacco will almost definitely get their hands on marijuana, and just like the fate of original cigarettes, pollute the poor herb with chemicals and additivies that'll truly make it as bad as a cigarette. I can already see the stigma that'd cause marijuana: "SEE!!! WE TOLD YOU IT WAS BAD!!!"
    Those are all I can think of right now for pros and cons. Honestly, I don't see the regulation as a big deal. If anything, I see it as a starting point so lawmakers can make it legal in the first place and once it becomes accepted as societal norms, there will probably be bills that'd call for looser regulation. Get the plant legalized in the entire country for a few years, then allow for looser regulation. That's just how I see it.

I am interested in hearing what everyone thinks, though. Especially the opposing side, since I barely met anyone against it.

2. Yes the fantasyland version of legalization. Do some real reading and get back to us.

3. Legalization as of right now is very flawed for sure, but what did we expect, perfect bills that allowed unlimited possession and growing limits, no tax, and absolute control of the market, oh wait, that's the way half of medical operates now, fuck. And that's the way the people who oppose legalization, want to keep it. Legalization is only half of the problem though, federal rescheduling is what's needed for medical patients who truly need cannabis for medicinal purposes.

4. #4 Retsii, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2013
    Please state your opposition to supplement rather than just degrading my point without explaination.

Now THAT'S a rebuttal.

Makes sense but I personally don't care if it's that restricted to start. At least it is recreationally legal. I also completely agree, scheduling marijuana the same as heroine is harmful. There is no WAY marijuana is remotely that dangerous, as well as there are medical benefits and etc.

5. #5 LQ142, Nov 30, 2013
    What's going on in Washington isn't all that great. The black market will still be better and cheaper. 

I don't want unlimited plant counts and possession amounts. That's fucking stupid and I don't know anybody that is advocating that.

Anybody can make their own beer. Why can't we grow a few plants? I don't know why some people are so content with the law. 

6. #6 vegblaze, Nov 30, 2013
    If it means no ones lives are going to be fucked over because of weed, I'm all for it. I'm pretty sure with decrim, they can still fuck you over big time. Even in medical states, your kids can and will be taken away because you're using an herb medically with a card. So you can take all the oxys and drink until your liver fails, but a joint and say goodbye to your kids? Not to mention a lot people who start on prescription pain killers to relief their pain often move on to harder and cheaper stuff.
    I can see why people who make a profit from it being illegal are against it, though.

Its not great, but I voted for 502 believing it was better to pass it and improve on it rather than have it fail and make legalization look unpopular, plus legalization ending arrests. There definately needs to be improvements and I think without the shock to non smokers of it becoming legal for the first time, those improvements will be easier to get than if they had been there from the start. Plus, changes are being made that are not the fault of 502, but the state being greedy and wanting patients to go to more expensive recreational stores rather than medical dispensaries.

8. So, you got nothing.

9. If you take rights away from someone, it emphasizes the fact that you can do so. People love power.

10. I have stated it 100's of times in these exact same threads that get created once a week.

11. Trying to address the points put forth would be like starting from square one with a discussion on legalization.
    I agree the points and thoughts put forth are not well-developed in the least. Sorry.

12. Its all a process, a very ugly, slow, politically intangled process, that because it was voted on by the people and is such a huge issue, that the world's eyes are on both CO and WA and that will put pressure on these governments to succeed. The momentum for legalization has swung even at a global level, thanks to CO and WA. I agree what the WSLCB is attempting to do is ridiculous but they are pretty much already conceiding that getting rid of medical homegrows is unrealistic. The real issue is with collectives and providers. IMO, the days of dispensaries are numbered and possession limits will be lowered exept for edibles.

13. What makes you think the stores will be more expensive?  The first dispensary I looked at on weedmaps in Seattle is selling GSC for $380/oz?  Looks to me like your friendly neighborhood dispensary is gouging the shit out of customers before the stores open and the dispensaries go out of business.  $380 in a "weed friendly" state!!!!? :confused_2:

I wouldn't really mind I-502 if they weren't trying to take away my growing rights. I'm no cash cropper either, just 2-3 for medical use. Serious medical use.

They could amend RCW 69.51A to say we can only grow 6 plants and possess 6 ozs and I would be fine with that. I guess we'll find out in January after the legislature gets to it...

15. #15 LQ142, Nov 30, 2013

The dispensaries I have frequented sell ozs of high grade stuff for 200 an oz.

It's kind of like how expensive weed is in SoCal compared to NorCal. Seattle clubs obviously cost more to run because of location. Same with the grow ops. So the price is naturally more expensive in the city. Travel an hour outside Seattle and you'll find stuff that is just as good for 40% cheaper.

16. I'd like to see them take away growers rights in CA. People have been growing here since the 50's. The entire emerald triangles economy relies heavily on marijuana. Weed fuels Californias economy in a huge way because all those cash croppers go shopping and buy things from legit businesses. I'm content with medical marijuana in CA there is no need to change it. If they do legalize it and take away rights to grow I'm sure there will be a riot in Sac at the capital building then a week later every one will keep growing like nothing happened because the California grower can never be stopped.

17. We're not dumb enough to vote something like that through.

18. Problem is the feds and the state law enforcement may make it such a pain in the ass for legitimate growers and providers to operate, they'll force prices to go up, the underground market will boom, and next thing you know your talking legalization. The real question is what type of legalization will California will end up with, not if.

19. OK.  Again - what makes you think that the stores can't sell it for those prices?

20. Stuff any "argument". There is zero reason to accept any penalty for what one does with one's own body unless there is a reasonable and scientifically-validated elevated risk of harm to others. Anyone arguing otherwise is deluded at best.