Why aren't they sprouting?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by cas1337, Mar 25, 2010.

1. This is my first grow and I'm trying to figure out why my seeds won't sprout. I've done a fair amount of research on growing in general before I started so let me explain what I've done thus far.

Medium: Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil
    Container: Standard party cup
    Germination: Damp paper towel in plastic bag for 3~ days.
    After the tap root emerged, I watered the soil with tap water had had been sat out for roughly 24 hours, opened a small hole about .75 inch deep, inserted the seed, root down, and covered up the hole. It's been a week and nothing so far. Any thoughts? :(

2. #2 such_a_famine, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2010
    are they in a cold environment? temps should be around 78F or higher. if its colder it will take longer before the seedling appears
    give it a few more days

3. Well, that's sad! Transplanting a newly germinated seed is very stressy. I don't understand why its done. I have had success putting the seeds in soil and letting them do their thing.

I got small peat pots and filled them with the Miracle Gro soil, watered well, and put a small hole in the wet soil. Put in a seed and pat the wet dirt around it.

When you transplant a germinated seed, you risk damaging the single root. Plant doesn't have a back up.

The only reason I can think of (please give me other reasons to understand it!) is if you have a years worth of bagseed and you don't know if any are good.

Good luck!
    Tyg

4. I don't have a thermometer so I can't give you an exact number. I understand they're not expensive and I will get one at some point. I don't have a way to increase the temperature in the grow area anymore than room temperature other than by turning on the light or some other high heat output device.

These are not bad seed. Fresh from Nirvana and in retrospect I probably should not have started with expensive seeds.

5. Your tap water probably has a high PH evenafter 24 hrs... city water? as I understand it a bit of lemon juice would lower the ph to a better range. also use warm water.

6. I've only had bad luck with germing seeds in a paper towel and then putting them in soil. I just put them in the soil but not deep just barely covered and keep it moist till they sprout and havnt had one not come up yet so far.

7. Don't knock yourself for using good seed!!! But I do hope you held some back for a second shot at it. Try it the simple way...put the seed in the soil and let nature take it course. It wasn't too cold to germinate -- you already had that. Seedlings like warmth, but they'll do fine at a wide range of room temp. Let me know how the second shot goes!

Sumbitted for your approval,
    Tyg

8. Actually I live very near a large river that supplies the town's water so it should be ok.

9. Would it possibly be worth turning the light on from the moment seed is in soil for extra warmth?