Why are Europeans so different from Americans?

Discussion in 'General' started by Buddha_Man, May 9, 2011.

1. #41 LokieMcSmokie, May 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Good shout, im from the west coast of scotland and american tourists stick out like sore tumbs over here

And ppl please remember there is no such thing as a single british accent as britain consists of 3 countries ( mind northern ireland is in the uk not britain) so try not to make us all sound like cocknys

And no british ppl dont have bad teeth, stupid ppl who dont look after thier teeth have bad teeth. The thought that brithish ppl all have bad teeth is as true as the statement that all americans are fat, stupid, over-opioniated and self obssesed.... I dont think any of thats true but it shows how sterotypes are bull shit and wrong.

2. the real truth about British people is that they're giant Thomas the tank engine figurines.

and every American is a celebrity.

3. I'd imagine you find Europe so glamorous as it's different from what you see every single day. I know I do. I often fantasize how life would be so much better if only I lived in insert European country here, but then I come back to reality and realize that everywhere is going to have their share of problems and that after the culture shock wears off, you're left to face the problems head on.

It's just the monotony of everyday life here seems so stale in comparison to a place that speaks differently, has a different style, drives different (better usually) cars, and just has a culture that is so uniquely their own. We often forget what our own country has to offer us.

4. #44 Freshfed, May 10, 2011
    In a nutshell "the grass is always greener on the other side" as is always the case! Nicely put, my sentiments exactly!

5. You guys have the best munchies, I love the huge roads, the kerbs are usually perfect to skate, they don't seem to have as many skate stoppers on stair sets either, the housing is awesome, you have insane sized shops that could be turned into a stoner day out (a Best Buy was recently built near me, gonna have to check it out), you eat streaky bacon (yay) rather than back bacon, you can get crazy sized burgers from Burger King (and sodas, I still remember getting the largest meal and it came with pretty much a bucket of soda), video arcades are still real, you have about 20 varieties of Pop Tart compared to our approximately 5, Peanut butter M&M's and Reece's Pieces are easier to find, you still have Lucky Charms cereal and Mountain Dew, there's a load of different climates and (as far as I know) you can easily move to whatever state you want, weed's suddenly got more chance of becoming legal than it has over here, you have better TV (these days anyway, though I hate the reality crap), you didn't have to run NES/SNES games at about 85% speed, taxes on alcohol and tobacco are cheaper (I think?), you have insane theme parks, you have the choice to fire guns, your school system beats the shit out of ours, you have a great choice of colleges, and the college life sounds totally awesome compared to over here. I could go on, but it's time for a hot dog and some Dr. Pepper.
    I love America.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #46 Freshfed, May 10, 2011
    Surely the guns laws have been much more detrimental than beneficial?

Like the couple of British tourists who went to a party 2wks ago then invited to a party, they went along in the guys car they had just met earlier at a bar, the guy took them to a bad part of town to be robbed (setup: they thought cause they had English accents that they were loaded... They weren't) and what happened? They both got shot dead whilst trying to flee! Guns aren't something to be proud of. So 2 naive tourists get shot for what? Nothing, lifes are extinguished at a whim, leaving nothing but pain for those left behind.

7. #47 Cfitch, May 10, 2011
    That isn't a gun problem it's the people who have guns.
    If someone wants a gun they will get one.

That time when someone came onto one of your military bases and shot like 8 people dead was crazy, but he couldn't be stopped before he had killed 8 people because weapons aren't allowed on a military base where the soldiers are trained with guns, maybe if your guj laws weren't as strict only 1 person would have died instead of 7.

8. I gurantee I know the 2 people your talking about. Not them personally but they just got killed in my city.

9. #49 Freshfed, May 10, 2011
    Yeah? When it was in the paper I felt so sorry do them, no idea what they were getting into. Man it's fukd up, ive never even seen a real gun, maybe 1-2 gun crimes here a year, I agree with the guy above that says it's not guns it's people, but those people will always exist and easy gun access just makes it easy to cause max damage. Guns scare the crap out of me... They are made to hurt, full stop. Those people do exist all over the world but Scotland has almost zero gun crime, high assault crime yes but it's alot harder to kill with fists than a Simple aim and shoot, hence why murder via guns in US is scary high. Don't wanna be a downer but you can't seriously believe that the gun laws don't contribute majorly?

10. #50 Freshfed, May 10, 2011
    That's true but As you said yourself, it's the people with the gun, so US gun laws allow for those people to get access much easier than countries where firearms are prohibited, wouldn't you agree?

11. #51 Cfitch, May 10, 2011
    Oh yeh definately I just think the right people need access to guns.

12. #52 mushroomsatsuji, May 10, 2011
    They have not. The cause for our violence is linked to the drug war

Not to mention guns are the reason the us is not under British control. I'd say that's a good thing

13. the Council of Europe has 47 member countries, its not good to generalize all europeans to have different swagger.

we're just from a different part of the world, it really comes down to the actual person rather than some statistical surveyed bullshit on how cool/chill people are over here and over there vise versa..

it all comes down to being humble and sincere to yourself first and then unto others, thats where the look comes from & the results

14. #54 Freshfed, May 10, 2011
    Yeah I agree! like military and protective services perhaps but open access in the name of 'self defence' is flawed i think.

15. we just look down on all the stupid other countries. Germany invents basically everything then you guys copy off us. losers.

16. #56 Freshfed, May 10, 2011
    Hehe, well guns in the context of historic battles don't really have a place in this debate, I'm talking more of the access public citizens today have and the harm it causes. I'd purport that humans are violent by nature and that the violence can be attributed to a drug war yes, however I don't think the violence arises because of the drug war but more that the drug war and violence therein arises via our nature, and providing guns, and with it an efficient means of violence, to everyday people can only end in more violence.

17. its how their physical features are lol. i can always tell whos british and american cuz they are SO damn pale! n theres something about their cheeks n mouths that says their europeans to lol.

18. #58 Freshfed, May 10, 2011
    Perfect example of German humour lol funnybot lol. Calm down "Hans" Germany is stereotypically robotic true, but it's due to the efficiency of production, emotionless accents and a sprinkle of unforgotten history ;)

19. The tourist were killed bc they tried to buy soft when they shouldve brought their asses back to the house. Its shitty but true.

20. Brittish folk would argue that they are separate from "Europe" and I would agree. They are still in the EU and such, but a much different culture.

Also, I'm hanging out primarily with Germans, French, and Dutch folks at the international house of my college right now and we have so much fun drinking and getting high. You'll find that it really isn't much different to back home.