Who's Your Philosophical Hero(s)?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by NuTone, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Plato

Jacque Casteau

Aristotle

2. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAQS9E0SgdQ&feature=g-all-u&context=G2aada2bFAAAAAAAACAA]2012 Mass Arrests Scenario - David Wilcock & Drake/ Ben Fulford/ Galactic Federation - YouTube[/ame]

3. First and foremost: Rene Descartes. Discourse on the method played a huge role in how I see things and my abilities to reason changed drastically because of him..

Secondly, Plato (or Socrates). I love the dialogues in the republic.

Nietzsche third, and lastly Aristotle..

4. St. Augustine; Rawls; Kierkegaard; Kant

5. My horse is better than yours. ;)

6. Philosophical heroes vs Philosophical heroes who will emerge victorious…

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2kAnTZBnTg]International Philosophy - YouTube[/ame]

7. Diogenes of Sinope - Luis Navia has 2 excellent books on him.

The other great Cynic, Aristophanes.

Zhuangzi - could be collection of philosophers or one. Inner Chapters are generally regarded as belonging to one author. Check out the translation by Ziporyn.

8. And I guess I should give a nod to my usernamesake.

"I do not offer the old, smooth prizes;
    Instead I offer rough, new ones.
    These are the days that must happen to you. "

9. Marx really opened the door for me to really delve into philosophy. Chomsky continues to be a good read. I've seen Sagan mentioned here so I would include him as well. :smoke:

10. [​IMG]

Bruce Lee! Although he isn't a major philosopher, his philosophy lead the way he lived. Plus he liked eating hash cakes

11. George carlin hands down.

I feel lucky to have him in my lifetime.

12. douglas adams, kant (mostly with ethics), aristotle, lao tzu, lennon/harrison, george orwell (futurism/political philosophy) not so much for agreeing with his views, but descartes for making me think, silent bob.. i know i'm forgetting like... 1000 others

13. Also Duncan Trussell and George Carlin