Who's Your Philosophical Hero(s)?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by NuTone, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Just tell me.

2. Eckhart Tolle

3. Gandhi is what comes to mind right away.

4. Socrates and Immanuel Kant

5. Socrates, Plato,Confucius, Nietzsche, Thomas Paine, Thoreau, Lao Tzu, the list goes on lol

6. Nietzsche is the only philosopher I've found to demonstrate honesty. I wouldn't call him a hero by any means though.

7. I've been waiting for this to be said.

Nietzsches' material definitely sparked my interests, but not enough to be my hero.

8. I dont believe in many of Nietzsche's ideas, but I still admire him.
    The same with Ayn Rand, there are many many things I dont agree with her about, and her teaching. But I still admire some of her points and that of Objectivism

9. Calling Ayn Rand a philosopher is like calling Kermit the frog a serious actor.

10. Hence why I didn't add her to my initial list of philosophical heroes.
    The same with Thomas Jefferson, because if I mention him as a philospher nonamericans tend to jump all over me.

11. ..lol...Rand was heavily influenced by Nietzsche...I loved Fountainhead....and the basic argument of Objectivism

Aristotle, Descartes, Socrates, Thich Nhat Hanh, Buddha

12. She was in her youth but other than the fact that they're both atheists they don't share many similarities (though it does seem that way on a glance).

13. #14 Philosiraptor, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2011
    Huxley, Kesey, Lou Reed, and Crowley (with a giant grain of salt)

Diogenes seems pretty badass too.

Once, while Diogenes was sunning himself, Alexander The Great came up to him and offered to grant him any request. Diogenes told him to "Stand less between the sun and me." :cool:

14. George Harrison of the beatles. Heres a great vido that has some of his spiritual and philosophical view points...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be5kLq4lLqc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be5kLq4lLqc[/ame]

15. #17 Verdurous, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
  16. Plotinus, Plato, Porphyry, Aristotle, Socrates, Pythagoras

They're a bit more than philosophers, but had philosophies none the less since that's the nature of the game. They don't call it the "Philosopher's" Stone without good reason.

17. Einstein.

18. diogenes is the best philosopher that has ever lived, he is my hero my idol.. if u are all about peace and freedom u shud read a lil about diogenes