Who said A seed can't get big in the winter time!

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Outdoors' started by Followthelight420, Feb 26, 2020.

1. So real quick backstory on the plants life and the environment it was in. I am a long time grower in Southern California and decided to do a quick experiment this winter. I planted a seed in a 1 gallon starter pot directly outside on January 1st in my Southern California location.

This winter has been decently warm with some rain and some hail this year but nothing to crazy. The nights however have been a little colder at about 40-50 degrees every night so I wondered how much of a factor that would play in this. All my grows big or small I use No till Live Soil Organics and make my own blend using various organic amendments and vermicompost. I use plain tap water and let it sit for about 24 hours to get any remaining chlorine out of the water which to start is very little.

You would normally think a plant like this due to the shorter days would grow small and start flowering immediately, which was what I was expecting, but instead it did the exact opposite. This plant for the last month has been getting bigger and bigger and now just at the end of February it has started flowering. I was blown away at how big this girl got!

Also to be mentioned there was no additional lightning other than the sun. Now that March 15th and the increase in hours is coming im sure the plant will reveg and judging by its resilience will make it back into flowering by june. Needles to say I taken several clones and will keep them in veg inside until june and see how big these babies can get!

Btw using the no.till live soil method I didn't really do to much work at all to this plant so if you are ever thinking about planting a seed in December-January you could have results like this! Happy smoking everyone Snapchat-1559481873.jpg Snapchat-1559481873.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. I'm at the beach in San Luis Obispo county. My plants froze over night. Finally broke out the propane heater. But I wonder how that setback will affect the final bud growth.
    Lately we've been lingering in the high 30's to low 40's overnight. Not freezing, but not so good either.

3. As long as its a light frost IME you'll be fine. Before I covered my plants would get frosted couple time before I harvested with no ill affect.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lately it's been getting warmer so I think my chance of frost is very low, but I really want to just let this one go and see if it makes it! If I do notice ill side effects, I do have a greenhouse I can stick it in for extra heat but that is to be determined‼ I will continue to post updates

5. How large is that growing container out of curiosity? It's not the original one gallon is it?

6. #6 Followthelight420, Feb 26, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    Updates will start every week now to see what this does outside!

• Like Like x 1
  7. No! I transplanted into a 5 gallon once it got to about a foot in height, expecting it to start flowering, but it grew about 2 more feet in just 4 weeks from that transplant. So I had to put it in a 30 gallon. All my smart pots are filled with growing things so I had this ceramic pot which has been doing great for this girl. After the 30 gallon transplant it started showing signs of pre flowering 8 days later and now is stretching even more‼

• Like Like x 2
  8. Awesome! I knew that thing looked too massive to still be the one gallon lol she's going to be a beast

• Like Like x 1