Who really is normal?

Discussion in 'General' started by WIdankss1226, May 27, 2010.

1. Normal is the majority. Its the mass of people. It's undifference and unoriginality. If everyone was 'normal' then this world would be a damn boring one. The best and the brightest, and usually quite different.

2. #22 ResearchIt, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    I am a psychology major so i think i am well suited to answer this.

NORMAL doesnt actually exist it is a term we use to describe someone that is average. Average meaning the mean of all the data we collect. Someone who is average behaves or scores similarly to most other people generally. One who deviates from the average is above or below average. Or abnormal.

When we do psychological studies we average quantifiable data. This number is what we use in comparison to actual scores. Whoever scores above or below is not average, and some people would say are abnormal.

But hardly anyone scores exactly at the mean mark so there really aren't many "normal" people its just like the middle ground between above and below.

The term normal also varies from population to population, so there really is no set Normal.

EDIT: Clarification: Abnormal = Not Normal in the way I was using it, I should have been more careful in my word selection.

3. let's start with what's considered "abnormal". The American Psychological Association defines "abnormal" (loosely) as: "any patterns of behavior that upset the individual experiencing them". If your behavior at any given point in time annoys/distracts you (like OCD style doorknob touching, etc.) you are "abnormal". Anything else that doesn't harm society or yourself is therefore considered "normal". There.

4. well said flo

5. #25 ResearchIt, May 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2010
    Well thats if you were using APA's definition I was just using it as a way to say Not Normal.

That seems more of a clinical definition as well, Psychology is moving in the direction of becoming more of a real science through research and quantifiable data. Not Hocus pocus hypothesis like Freud...

6. fuck normality dude it's overrated

7. i think being boring and normal is an unhealthy sign....

8. Normal is what the average ,like with math

what's the average test score

you add it up then divide by the number of numbers witch the answer is 68.2

but with it come to humans,there's tons of "test scores" like on average,most people are religious and on average most people eat fast food and on average most people would smoke weed then shoot heroin,depends on the "test".But what counts as a normal human??that's a bold statement.

9. there is no normal anymore

10. most bad things about our society are the products of people trying to prove they are "normal" while fearing they might not be.

trying to be normal ruins your chances at cultivating your own unique and special life and talents. it's an attempt at trying to earn your way into a world which, once you get there, you realize contains a desolate and insecure bunch of depressed and unsatisfied people who can't look themselves in the mirror.

this is why people who don't quite fit in have the advantage in the long run. they are the only ones with a reason to look for the deeper meaning in life instead of just gliding through as a nameless copy of everyone else.

11. How can anyone define normal if everyone is different? Normal is a term that varies based on many things such as culture, religion, belief, etc.

12. hey guys, i appreciate the responses!

i kind of got an idea but everybody has there own opinion about everything :rolleyes:

13. Don't take the term so literally. Its a word thats used generally speaking to describe someone who adheres to the usual social norms. It's also a setting on a washing machine. The word means nothing beyond that.

14. Dude what is your idea. But man the norm is what you make it. Perception is the key to life. No joke man I really believe that looking at things differently is the one thing that we will never be able to understand. But what is you idea? I think the norm is you being you and being real with yourself and experience yourself. But hold on I think the term Norm can be defined

conforming to the standard or the common type; usual; not abnormal; regular; natural.
    from dictionary . com.
    okay so it is a standard or a common type.
    common definition
    belonging equally to, or shared alike by, two or more or all in question
    common is belonging equally to.

each trait counts as one value. so they are common. Normal means a common type. so there for each person counts as one value in the statistics to find what traits average out to be the highest is what trait is the most common trait among humans there for finding the norm.

15. See like I said its all about the way we perceive things.

16. yall remind me of Andy

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvaxamJyTro"]YouTube- What is Life?[/ame]

17. normal is just a setting on a washing machine man

18. We're ALL NORMAL!

Just take a big step back and look at ourselves

19. I like to think of it as a spectrum sort of. You have to be pretty far out there to not be considered normal and not find people to chill with.

<--><----------------------------------------------><-->
                       weird                       normal                           weird

Idk if that really means anything, but w/e. There are all different types of "normal" but I think most people have a fairly common line that is drawn and if one passes it, then he/she isn't normal anymore.