Who else has a telescope (and uses it)?

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by Senior PoopiePants, Sep 9, 2010.

1. I just got a 3" reflector off of Craigslist for $40. I guess my magnifications are 35x, 140x, and x 3 for both of those (because of my Barlow lens).

I honestly thought the images would be clearer, but I guess if I know what I'm looking at (in this case - Jupiter), it works out OK. I can just make out the bands, but I haven't been able to see the red spot. And of course I can see the 4 moons...

I don't have tracking, so I have to manually push the scope (eeeck).

Other than that, there's been no moon yet, so that's that, and Saturn sets too early for me (I go into work at 5pm each day).

I really wanna see the Andromeda Galaxy (M31), but that's a bitch to find.

So, anyone else got a decent scope that likes to use it? Tell us what you've seen!

2. No, but I'd like one some day. I've been learning where planets are etc of late. It's such a buzz looking up in the sky knowing that a "star" is actually a planet. Mars blew my mind, given that it actually has a red appearance to the naked eye. This probably sounds elementary to someone like yourself, but it's fascinating, and I hope to get more in to it.

3. Dude you guys shoud check out the "420 scope"

It is really badass, it does like 60x-100x zoom and has a focus and a LED light that shines on the bud.

Attached Files:

4. #4 Senior PoopiePants, Sep 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2010
    [​IMG]

5. I started to grind an eight inch mirror in my misspent youth: never finished it, but ended up with two 4inch Newtonians, one old, one newer. Nice little scopes, nothing special. Would like a C10 or bigger...maybe some day!

6. If I had the money, I would definitely buy a decent scope...

If I had a lot of money, with no other obligations, I would buy a Meade.

We have some fantastic views in Colorado, you just have to drive out a ways to get to them.

7. haha my bad should have read full thread lol.

8. I've got 2 scopes. One little 2.5 inch refractor and an 8 inch Dobsonian reflector. For someone seriously interested in getting into astronomy I'd suggest to get as much aperture (tube diameter)as you can afford to. The more light you collect the better especially in light polluted skies.