White stuff on hydroton. Help?

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by cwicseolfor, Mar 4, 2010.

1. My problem: I'm noticing some white growth on the outside of my hydroton pellets. Is it mold? Is it fungus? Will it harm the plants (the picture of the baby plant is the sharksbreath)? What is a safe way to be rid of the mold? :shock:

My setup: I'm growing 18 plants in a closet: 14 Lowryder #2s, 1 Power Kush, 1 Sharksbreath, 1 LA Woman, 1 Lemon Skunk. The seeds started germinating on 2.17.2010, and they're in an ebb/flow system made out of 2 28qt plastic storage containers for each set of 6 plants. The seeds are each in peat pellets, surrounded by hydroton. The water floods for half an hour every three hours. The autoflower plants are still babies, so I'm using Pure Blend Pro Grow nutes at just shy of the recommended dosage. Above each set of 6 plants are 4 25 (or 26?) watt CFL bulbs hanging just about an inch or two over the plants (as close as I can get without burning them) and there's a box fan blowing across all the plants to provide them with fresh air. The lights are on 24/0.

I'm not sure what other info I can provide... if you want more pictures of anything, I'll be happy to take them; if you'd like more info about my setup, I'm happy to respond. Any advice I get will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Could be mold or calcium from hard water. Mix some 3% hydrogen peroxide and dilute it to 1% by adding 3 parts water for 1 part of peroxide. Put it in a spray bottle and just lightly mist all those spots.

3. that works good for mold

its the nutes crystallizing a bit, add some water and it shouldn't be a problem. :smoking:

(use distilled water, RO water, or check your waters ph and tds, and adjust...around my area we use a hardwater nute mix to reduce tds while getting proper nutes to the roots)