White Powder Build Up?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by James303, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Hello,
    So I have a small NTF system I built and I am getting some odd white powder substance built up. This system is new and not in use yet. I have not added anything to the water yet. I just built the system and wanted to make sure no leak would develop over time, before I put live plants in.

After a few days of letting the system run I get this white substance built up on the top of the compressed clay pellets.

I am trying to identify what the substance is and if I need to worry about it being there?

Image 1:
    Image 2:

Any help would be great!
    Cheers!

2. If you haven't added nutes yet, then it's probably impurities in your water. The water wets the pellets, then evaporates, leaving impurities behind.

If you have added nutes, then those nutes have been squirting on the pellets, and then evaporating, leaving evaporated, solid nute material behind.

Some humidifiers used with tap water can blow out those water impurities as white dust, but that's likely not the problem.

3. Do you think it is anything to worry about? Should I flush the system and run all my water through a water filter before adding it back in?

4. I have some nute buildup on several pellets in a drip system, and it doesn't hurt anything.