White House Aide Fired for April 1st joke

Discussion in 'General' started by lotuselise, Apr 2, 2010.

1. #1 lotuselise, Apr 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2010
    So according to the Washington Post Online, apparently a White House Aide got fired today for saying during a press conference that Obama's Healthcare Reform Bill was a great idea, that Obama was a great president and then yelling "April Fool's" immediately afterwards.

Here are some of the highlights of the article. Full story can be read here: White House Aide Fired Over April Fool's Prank - Washington Post Online

Quote:
    White House Aide, Gary O'Sullivan, a political science major at George Washington University, was fired today immediately following a White House press conference at which he pulled an "April Fool's Day" prank which beats all.

O'Sullivan, who says he still doesn't regret the comments, was able to take the microphone immediately following what was thought to be the end of the conference. However, he began to elaborate on various details of the Healthcare Reform legislation which recently was signed by President Obama. After exactly thirty seconds of speaking O'Sullivan stated that "Obama's Healthcare Reform Bill was the greatest idea that the President has had and Obama is a great President." After a five second pause, O'Sullivan then shouted "April Fool's!" at the top of his lungs.

President Obama was still within ear shot.

President Obama initially declined to comment but did order the immediate firing of O'Sullivan. When directly questioned by a Washington Post reporter attending the conference about the firing, the President told reporters that he would "not stand for such disrespect and shenanigans."

O'Sullivan, in a statement to the press immediately following his firing, said, "I can understand why Obama was upset. The truth is out. But I am still unclear as to why he had to make this a racial thing. Indeed I am of Irish heritage but to call what I did "shenanigans" just to poke back at my kindred is uncalled for."

Mr. O'Sullivan was approached by the ACLU within three minutes of issuing his statement.

Tim Flannerty, lead counsel for the ACLU, issued his own statement during a lunch conference today in which he stated, "Mr. Obama may certainly not be able to appreciate an April Fool's Day prank but to single out Mr. O'Sullivan's actions as "shenanigan's" because of his Irish background is just intolerable. We will be taking legal action on behalf of Mr. O'Sullivan, not because of the firing, but because of the racist remark."

2. Yeah, if your link didn't show up as exactly what it is, you might've gotten a couple people. :p

3. #3 lotuselise, Apr 2, 2010
    hdbcebcfec

4. I believed it for a second. I actually googled it right after i saw this. Man i feel dumb :p

5. fooled 3 times today!! damn me

6. #6 lotuselise, Apr 2, 2010
    tfctk

7. #7 mushroomsatsuji, Apr 2, 2010
    lol funny

8. Damn, you got me. Nice.

9. good thing im a lazy muthafucker who doesnt click links in stories like this (especially when the op had a book written on it already)

SOOOOOOOOO i DIDNT get rickrolled but instead read the comments of others and was like wtf they saying.

then i was like o. ok

O ok

10. Nice, april fools within an april fools

+rep man

11. hah, I'm glad I didn't click on it.. Id be pissed lol

12. thanks, i thought it was pretty funny:p

13. Yo dawg, I heard you like April fools day jokes, so we put a joke in your joke so you can laugh while you laugh.

14. Nevermind, fuck you and april fools....

15. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

+rep man

16. #16 Diceman, Apr 2, 2010

Woulda got me since he fixed it...now it's your post that's giving it away. :rolleyes:

17. This/Thread.

18. I have to say, this is the first April Fool's joke today that actually got me. I honesty just googled this, lol.