white guy dreads

Discussion in 'General' started by irie vibes, May 20, 2010.

1. my sac has dreads!!!!!

2. Then you're not just wearing it because you think it looks cool. You're wearing it as a political and social symbol and it becomes a statement.

So you DO recognize the deeply held beliefs and feelings people can associate with a symbol. It shouldn't be hard for you to see why someone would be wary of wearing dreadlocks on a whim.

Depending on the OP's situation, it might not be worth it for him to wear a hairstyle that might be viewed as much more to others. I'm sure there are situations where you might be hesitant to wear your swastika armband out.

3. In my opinion,long dreads look good on white guys but definitely not short ones:smoke:

4. He probably does it to piss off dumb ass opinated people that get in you're face. It all comes down to this...learn to not give two shits about what other people think about you. They don't like it? Fuck'em theres six billion people on this planet I'm sure some of them do not care if you have dreads.

To this day I don't get why people care so much about what other people think...or that they're will to bend over backwards for their approval...guess it's a human trait that evolved past because I dont think I ever cared about what other people think.

Even in preschool eating glue...some girl said why are you doing that..and I was like "Cause it taste good to me bitch! NOW give me your cookies." You say its not cool cause its a symbol of hate..it's only that because people made it that way...you take away its symbolism via wearing it just because it looks cool than that's what it is just a goofy crazy looking design.

5. You're not really getting it though. When I see someone wearing a Swastika, it doesn't piss me off. I just immediately think that person is A) a neo-nazi, or B) an immature punk trying to be provacative. This is the case for the population at large.

You can wear whatever kind of symbols you want, but you have to acknowledge that there may be negative consequences to doing so. Not everyone can afford to alienate others at the expense of being fashionable. I think the OP is wise for weighing the negative associations some may have with dreadlocks (regardless of race) with the positive aesthetic attributes they have.

6. You're not getting it see he's not supposed to care wtf you think about his dreads...all that matter is that HE likes them. Just like that guy with the nazi tattoo probably doesn't care what you think either...before you jump to conclusions just talk to the person first. It comes down to when people stop caring about what other people think thats when everyone will truly be themselves.

7. I like dreadlocks, and I've had them in the past. Wouldn't mind having them again someday. But right now, I can't afford to wear them because in my line of work it would be viewed as unprofessional and I'd stop getting hired.

See how it's not always as simple as "but I like them, fuck what you think"?

Caring about the impact you have on others isn't always a bad thing....

8. Do you want dreads?

The answer to this is the answer to whether you should get them or not. The rest doesn't matter, seriously man.

9. yeah you're putting way too much thought into it. its just .. stuff, really. like i said, being offended is subjective. you think its offensive because you think of it as an offensive thing, to me i see it as an inside joke, like lollercausting.

10. i agree, in the end you just have to decide whether or not you can handle being rediculed by others (unfortunately its going to happen to any white guy with dreads eventually) and whether or not you are ok with that. if you are, then hell yeah, go for it. but if its going to make you unhappy all the time that people give you looks/mean comments/judge you for them, i wouldnt do it.

basically, do whatever is going to make you happy!

11. Yea, nobodies ever said anything bad about my lip disc.

[​IMG]

12. If you keep your dreads nice looking and clean then black or white, sounds cool! I know plenty of black guys with dreads that look horrible...from experience when I had dreads every 2-3 months get the new growth retwisted, it looks better and grows faster.

But yeah dude, don't worry about how others react, some (ignorant) people will act all shocked and shit to see a white guy with dreads, fuck em. I don't know much about 'white' hair though so I couldn't tell you how to go about dreadin up. Mad respect to ya if you go through with it though (but keep them nice and kept up otherwise they look bad), and like other posters said, if YOU want to get em, get em. Fuck the haters man, just do you.

13. Why wouldnt it be ok? The only thing is they are extremely hard to keep but best of luck to ya. Anyone says who you shouldnt is probably a tool themselves...

14. Don't do it. If it is a hairstyle, it's one that requires not washing your hair, which is just...

And someone hiring for a professional job is going to pick the potential employee without dreads before with.

And to say that dreadlocks would "fit your personality"

I won't even go into that.

15. That's pure BS. You need to do some research, man. I wash my hair 2-4 times a week & I have had dreads for 5 years. You just have to wring them out good, but you most certainly wash them. WHen you see nasty dreads, THOSE are the kind that aren't washed or taken care of, but for the most part people who get dreads are pretty informed about them and know that you DO wash them. You're SUPPOSED to wash them! And you don't start them or keep them dreaded with any nasty stuff (honey, glue, peanut butter, etc...you wouldn't believe some of the crappy preconceptions people have about dreads:rolleyes:)

16. i agree with those who say go for it. i been thinking about it myself too. it really is just a hairstyle, and it is only symbolic to those who put meaning behind them.

in the words of Ice Cube

"do ya thang mayne, fuck what they lookin' at."

17. I'm a girl... and... I think they're fucking sexy.

18. Hahaha I'm just going to assume that the guy with the skinhead and nazi tattoo is a piece of shit. However I may give the white guy with dreads the benefit of the doubt, although I've only met a few white guys with dreads that i thought were good people and I trusted. A lot of them either seem like sketchballs of just idiots. sorry, just my personal experience, although the few white dudes with dreads I do like are really good people, if that means anything

19. If you wanna do it go for it!
    I've seen a lot of white people with dreads, and they look badass.

I was contemplating getting them BUT they take a lot to manage and getting the special shampoo would be an inconvenience to me.