white guy dreads

Discussion in 'General' started by irie vibes, May 20, 2010.

1. I'm curious, what do you guys think of white guys with dreads? and by white i mean like white white, with reddish-blonde hair? I've been thinking about them for years, because I feel like they'd really fit my personality, but I can't help but think that every black person I ran into with dreads would think I was a douche...any thoughts?

2. Don't do it man...you're fucking up your life

3. It's only acceptable to have dreads if you are a true Rastafari.

4. It's a hairstyle...

Ear gauging came from Africa, people across the world do it and it's perfectly acceptable.

Hey man it's hard to say without seeing what you look like but I have a friend in tucson who is white and has red hair and pulls dreads off like a beast. Thats not to say they would look good on you, it's all about how your whole look is. If you do get it done I would strongly getting it professionally done at a salon. My guitarist in my band tried it by himself and totally fucked it up.

Anyway here a couple pics of my friend, you can judge how they look on him and go from there.

Check out this link
    Fotoalbum Daniel Gallegos and Vikcki Vanity photography van Animus Divine - MySpace Fotos

5. It's just a hair style imo but if you are doing it to look rasta, then don't. Just be ready to get called out on a daily basis ha i definitely do it to white guys i see with dreads :D
    [ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/40968/saturday-night-live-digital-short-ras-trent"]Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Digital Short: Ras Trent@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/oGER6q-u0d8JsoWZCvCJpQ@@AMEPARAM@@oGER6q-u0d8JsoWZCvCJpQ[/ame]

6. It's a hairstyle, and anyone to say anything otherwise can fuck themselves.

7. Certain white guys can pull off the dreads look well, others i've seen look like fucking tool bags. If you go with it be sure to get a few seconds opinions from people if they'd look good on you or not. We'd need to see a picture of you to give you a real answer.

8. well, I am a white WOMAN with dreads. I live in the South and was worried that they wouldn't be very culturally acceptable. To my surprise, in the 5 years I have had them I have only had one or two negative comments, and those were both from DOCTORS. (old WASPY white men. :rolleyes: ) ANd every black person that says anything about them has compliments. Most of them start with "I never saw a white person with dreads I liked, but yours are gorgeous!" ANd I am not Rasta, I am a Christian (I am also covered in tattoos, and have 1/2" holes in my ears...but that's another story...)ANd my dreads are each about the thickness of a thumb and almost to my waist ( <--------- the avi pic is from when they were brand new, so they were much shorter...I wasn't even tattooed yet in that pic, LOL!)

ANyway, anyone can get dreads, anyone can pull off dreads...as long as you take care of them. All those crappy, nasty, dirty dreads happen when people don't take care of them. Make sure you still wash them 1-2x/week. Use a non-residue-leaving Shampoo or special dread soap (buy it cheap on ETSY) Your hair will hold in EVERY smell, for days, until you wash your hair. So if you smoke a lot or are around campfires or harsh smells, prepare to either wash your hair more often or smell until you do.

Don't let people discourage you. If it's something you want to do, go for it. Just remember they don't happen overnight. They won't really get tight and look like mature dreads for quite awhile, so get some nice tams or visors or bandanas or whatnot. ANd if you don't like them, you're a guy, just cut your hair. No worries. :)

9. Do it up son, fuck what other people think; do you.

10. #11 I~Rok~Donks, May 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010

this.

I'm black i don't see the big deal actually...

if i saw a white guy with dreads which i have especially over the summer when i went to Europe for a couple months (Italy, and U.K.)

it stands out but apart from that not really a big deal maybe it was a few years back but its pretty common..IMO

11. Maybe you should learn about the significance of dreadlocks and WHY you would look like a tool to African-Americans before even considering getting them..?

That's what I did, and I'm sure as hell glad that I didn't grow some shotty-ass dreads.

12. If you like it then who gives a rats ass what black people may or my not think. Its your hair.

13. Yea dude grow em.

Ignore the Hair-Nazis who think its wrong.

And slap anybody who says something when you do have em, because that shit is ignorant.

We don't live to judge.

14. Dreadlocks didn't start with black people. They can be found in all cultures going back as far as we're able to tell. Locks are simply just the state of unmanaged hair, and as such most ancient cultures had them. Some attributed spiritual meaning to them, some did not.

The only person looking like a tool in your first statement would be the African-American, for being so myopic that he/she thinks only black people can have dreads.

15. you can do it......its jus hair.......i like when people get all justified on hairstyles lol.....i bringing back the 70s wing doo........

16. “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't
    matter and those who matter don't mind.” - Dr. Seuss

I don't give a fuck what you do....ive been thinking about getting dreads...but I think it wouldn't look right on my big head...so I just stick with the simple fade...can't go wrong with that.

But shit if you wanna do it do it. Fuck everyone else fuck'em hard.

17. do it, my VERY white friend got dreads recently and it looks sick

18. im in the long process of dreading my hair, but i look more egyptian or persian than white (even though i am white)

i think its a hairstyle, its what hair does naturally if you only wash with residue free shampoo and dont comb your hair, who cares what somone chooses to do with their hair

why do black people have to be the only ones that can have dreads without being rediculed? because they have thicker hair?

so if white guys cant have dreads black people shouldnt straighten or dye their hair right? thats stupid, only white people can have hair that looks like that :rolleyes: