Which Strain to Scrog?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by High as Space, Oct 2, 2010.

1. I'm not sure if this is something you're already familiar with or not.. "Super Cropping"
    I would suggest to top and supercrop the very fast growing shoots, that are beating all the other branches to the screen. Obviously, this will slow the speedy/taller ones down, while increasing yield BEFORE you ever even truly start filling the screen up.
    Topping + Super Cropping = :metal:.... and it allows for the canopy to even up in the process. sounds like a win/win/win. heres a link with some super crop info:
    http://forum.grasscity.com/advanced-growing-techniques/201028-pinching-supercropping.html

2. ok ive done more research than you all think. and i know how to supercrop. just pinch the stem and bend it where you want it.. right?
    Im gonna grow I was thinking of doing the Super Lemon Haze, Red Dragon, and AK-47 first. do you think i should only scrog the ak and lst the rest? i want as much as possible out of these things as i am totally sick of having to buy weed.

mcinnc thanks the good info.

3. Supercropping is the shit also I'd suggest defoliation as well if you are growing with CFLs. I'm doing my grow 100% CFL and snipping off all the fan leaves on the main stem has turned my branches into monstersssss. I leave just the top set of mature fan leaves (youll get what I mean by mature when you grow) that way the rest of the branches get plenty of light.

Any idea on how big your space is? ATM I'm growing C99 and Apollo11. If you are interested in either you should give them a shot super branchy great for scrog. As long as you are well researched and have a half decent setup then you'll be growing more than you can smoke.

4. aren't there certain strains that are not recommended for topping such as sativas? Why is that?

5. grow room is about 2'7" x 2'7" x 6'

and im pretty sure getting some real c99 seeds is hard as hell cause its pretty damn rare. im growing with a 400 MH/HPS. I plan to start defoliating once the canopy branches out and bottom leaves start to receive no light.

6. I got my C99 from Joey Weed at Hempdepot.com, considering he got a lot of his stock from bros grimm i'm pretty sure its legit. Your grow space and lighting is more than enough to be pulling 3-6 oz out every harvest, depending on conditions and veg time ofc. My next grow is gonna have JW's NLxAK47 in it and I'm super stoked I cant wait for its big buds. You should start a grow journal once you get going.

7. will do, ive seen pics of c99 and it looks amazing. good luck!
    yeah 6 dry oz a plant (18 zips total each harvest) of Super Lemon Haze, Red Dragon, and AK-47 is my dream.
    i wouldnt have to buy weed ever and id have a ton of it.
    starting the grow and journal as soon as my seeds arrive.

8. Awesome man I'll be sitting in on your grow. I can't wait till my first harvest arrives. I like to make a lot of edibles so having copious amounts of weed is must for me and my wallet :D

9. i second that!
    you guys think 6 dry zips/plant are possible out of this?

10. you're gonna have to veg for a LONG LONG LONG time to make that a possibly obtainable goal. MUCHO good luck sir. :cool:
    wait... are you still sticking with the 400w MH/HPS or going bigger??..

11. sticking with it but only 3 plants at a time.
    if i put the screen higher above the plants that would greatly increase my yield?
    maybe ill just go with a foot or 2 cause i want a quick harvest. then next time ill go higher and veg longer for a huge yeild.

12. #32 ArsenalOfCronic, Oct 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2010
    You'll probably pull 3 oz from your first grow, 1oz per plant, really depends on your conditions and the amount of veg you give em. If you give them like 6-8 weeks veg you'll probably pull more but from a 4 week veg and then flowering period youll likely get 3-4 oz out of that kind of space. Though I wouldnt be surprised if you got 6 oz with that kind of vertical height. After Genetics, yield is heavily dependent on conditions and amount of stress.

EDIT
    Placing the scrog higher up probably isnt too necessary unless you are doing an extremely long veg (8+ weeks)

13. whoooah.... a SCROG & "quick" anything don't really jive well together. 12/12'ing from seed, in a SOG style, or some kinda autoflowering strain, is better for those who ask for "quick" results. a SCROG is when you're looking to achieve; not only BIG results, but also a QUALITY end result. There is nothing more important than having ample patience when you're growing something for a "big" finale. Good Luck.:wave:

14. Just curious AOC... how long do you like to veg for, on average? i personally consider 2 months (aka approx. 8 weeks) an appropriate length to veg for most strains i've ran.

15. Well I think a lot plays into veg time. For me and my set up I think 4 weeks solid I have extremely limited height growing in a dresser I think vegging till you take up half, give or take a bit, of your available grow area is a good standard when growing for personal use in small spaces. But I'm no expert I'm just now going through my first grow, though I follow a lot of jounals. I like to suggest to people to test out their own space rather than get stiff answers from people. Cause every plant is different and conditions vary so much you won't know what's best for you till you grow a few times.

Shit hope that makes sense I'm high as fuck right now from my vape sitting in my modern philosophy class :smoking:

16. LST is a term for training a plant. Topping a plant, fimming a plant and training the main cola is all(LST)training.
    For a scrog you want as many bud sites as you can get and feed them through the screen. When the screen is 80% full you start flowering. The whole purpose here is to keep the tops uniform and low so light can penetrate the canopy.

If you fim(not top) a plant you pinch the new growth so it will creates 4 new vertical branches. Everytime you fim a top 4 new vertical branches will occur. About 8 bud sites is sufficient.
    You need to start when the plant is about 8-10 tall, fim and train(tie down) the new branches to first run horizontal, once done with fimming place the screen and run the branches thru the screen.

There should be some tutorials in the forum about scrogs and trimming, topping and fimming.

17. #37 Puffer6, Oct 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
    Listen to this guy....and colafarmer....and to the guy who thinks this is a stupid question you should go to rollit...a bunch of other haters over there you can go back and forth with...but here at GC people help people without acting like a prik...hope this makes sense to you :p

18. [Blush Blush!] :eek:
    haha i appreciate the kind words bro, have a crazy day!

19. heres what im pretty sure im doing

AK-47, Super lemon haze, and Cataract kush all scroged under a 400w MH for veg and a 400w HPS for flowering.

im gonna veg for as long as possible (4-8 weeks) until i put the screen on and flower.
    Only topping and supercroping.

20. Sounds good man. You want to install the screen about half way through veg. Fill the screen About 80% then flower. Check out the guide in the plant training forum