Which strain? First proper grow - recommendations, advice and tips

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by ternelhat, Sep 12, 2012.

1. So, I got 8 seeds.
    Nirvana Ak48 - 3
    Nirvana White Widow - 2
    Barney's LSD - 2
    Mango Ryder - 1

What I have :
    Pretty big grow space (5' tall, 20'' deep and 30-36' wide)
    I am planning to use CFLs (I will shoot for 3.5-4K lumens per sq feet of grow space) and soil

P.S. This is going to be my first proper grow (I failed growing once in the past, because I tried to grow a 14' landrace indoors - and it turned hermie)

First question:
    What should I grow first? I am planning to grow 2-3 plants at a time. I would love to have some variety, and at the same time not start with strains that are too difficult to grow.

Thanks in advance :smoke:

2. What kind of pot do you prefer to smoke?

3. The difficulty gauge on what to grow is kinda a nil question to myself. All cannabis just about requires the same things. Light, food, water etc. One that is "hard" is generally hard to grow because of the grower really not the plant. Being that these plants grow out in the wild with no attention and do fine its usually like I said something crazy the grower does or is not educated about.

If I were you Id grow the Barneys LDS...primo topshelf stuff there.

4. @Jellyman: I will smoke anything that gets me high bro. I do like different kinds of highs though. Thus, I would love it if, say for eg., I could grow one couch-locker, and one headhigh at the same time.
    I am slightly wary of growing LSD and AK48 together, because I guess both are Sativa dominant - but i could be completely wrong.

5. LSD from Barneys is indica. AK48 is a hybrid and your fine with both. I got 3 different strains going on. Youll manage :) Sooner you plant sooner you smoke. Get to it!

6. @rhapsody: Thanks bro. Will start germing today :D
    Nice profile pic btw :)

7. Hi everyone.
    Quick question.
    I germed LSD, AK48 and WW. The WW still hasn't germinated.
    The other two have germinated and the LSD looks good. The AK48 also has germinated. I planted both in party cups, and both have surfaced. However, the AK48 still has the seed cover covering the first set of leaves. Any advice?

8. Just let it do its thing. It will fall off.

9. Update:
    Both the plants look fine now. However, the AK isn't growing as fast as the LSD. LSD already has a second set of leaves (the ones with 3 blades). AK has very tiny second set.
    This is the grow room as of now:
    36''*20''*48'' (48= height)
    (i) One small USB fan
    (ii) Two 32W CFL (5200 lumens total) on two seedlings. I have 8 more CFLs (1 more 32W, 4 23W white, 4 23W orange). I will be hooking them up as the plants grow. I will be adding another 23W CFL today to the mix (making it 6800 lumens for two plans, in a small 0.5 sq feet area)
    (iii) Medium: Initially it was just soil. Changed it a bit yesterday (added a mix of coco peat, neem cake soil mix, and vermicompost). I will transplant in a week. The final mix will be: 40% - Soil (slightly Iron rich), 40% - Coco Peat, 20%- Neem Cake mixed Soil. On Top, added a little vermicompost.
    (iv) ph: Water ph is 7. However, soil is acidic (haven't measured run-off, but slurry says 6.3. I guess run-off would be lower). I will be monitoring ph. However, I am finding it difficult to find ph-up in India. Consequently, I will be using trace amounts of baking powder/baking soda. Can someone recommend which one is better? (Soda, or Powder?)
    (iv) Nutes: Haven't started feeding yet. The plan is to use (1) Vermicompost once weekly and (2) A rose fertilizer I got, weekly. The rose fertilzer would be high on P, K, and should work during flowering. During Veg, I will mostly stick to loads of vermicompost, and some rose-fert.
    Since I know that ph will become an issue, I have a contingency for micro-nutrients. Got a spray with mg, ca, mn etc. I will be foliage feeding this (using a spray gun that looks like this: http://2.imimg.com/data2/EL/QU/MY-2566768/agri-trigger-spray-pump-250x250.jpg). I will start the foliage feed, slowly, once the plant is 16-18 days old.
    (v) I got some neem-oil and some other "anti-fungal" to fight insects
    (vi) Odor Control: is still a concern, and I can't find carbon filters in this country. I am planning to mask the smell using car air freshners, incense etc.

Will post pics soon.

10. #10 ternelhat, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
    Some pics:

Day 1: (left is LSD, right is AK 48). This was day 1 of seeds breaking ground. The AK still hadn't broken the seed-shell

[​IMG]

Day 7: (left is LSD, right is AK 48). You can see that the AK is considerably slower.

[​IMG]

LSD (Day 7):

[​IMG]

AK48 (Day 7):

[​IMG]

Today I am on Day 11. Will pic the latest pics soon. Both plants are doing good. The AK 48 has started picking speed as well, and the LSD is doing great :hello:

11. You can make a filter with the stuff inside fish filters and a couple rags I can't think of the name of the stuff! Lol but you can buy just the little black rocks that go inside fish filters from Walmart ,fish store . The cloth ,as long as air moves through it and it's strong get a nedal (spelling) and thread put the rocks in-between the cloth sew it together put it on the end of you exhaust fan. Smell gone!!

12. your soil is all red and full of clay. if that's the soil you plan to use as a 40% of your soil mix, i'd advise against it. it's not slightly iron-rich, it's got a shitton of iron, like a real shitton, have done tests on it personally. it is also almost 100% clay with a few rocks stuck here and there, like most of the soil in india. my advice would be to mix the vermicompost (50%) with coco peat(25%) sieved red soil (10%) and sand (15%). Vermicompost is not the same as worm castings, vermicompost has plenty of semi-hot stuff which will continue to break down, and it is not as nutritious as worm castings available elsewhere, and as such should be used in a larger proportion than one would use worm castings. the coco peat makes life easy with indian weather. the sand makes it work. the red mud is purely for existing microbes/nutrients which will only be existent in living soil around the roots of or in a fertile area with healthy plants.

trust me, that red soil hardens like a brick, really really inhibits root growth of pretty much all apart from native sativas (whose roots have successfully gone halfway through a fucking brick of concrete).

which fertilizer and micronutrient spray did you purchase?

13. @elchupacabra:
    Thanks for the feedback :)
    I transplanted the plants to a bigger pot, and I agree - the red soil becomes hard as a brick. These cups are 70-80% red-soil. The new pots have 30-40% red soil, rest is coco-peat, some organic soil with neem-cake (20-30%), and rest is coco-peat.The current pots are around 4'' diameter. I will be transplanting again to a much bigger pot (14'' diameter), and will keep red-soil to a bare minimum 10-15%, and mix some sand as well.
    I got vermicompost in a package. The box says 2-3 tablespoons per pot - but it doesn't specify the size of the pots. But yes, given that it isn't very strong/concentrated - I doubt I can OD the plants with these, and I'd much rather mix a lot more vermicompost (especially since everything is so damn cheap)

About the ferts: This is the list of my entire haul:

(1) Random rose fertilizer: I know that these things are high on K, P - and thus will work beautifully during flowering. During veg - I plan to mix in some coffee ground.
    (2) Micro - I got a bottle of micro-nutrients by a company called bio-farm. It claims it has Mg, Mn, Ca etc.
    (3) Rooting Hormone - Found it in the same shop for Rs. 50 a bottle, so picked this as well.
    (4) Some disinfectant spray (can't remember name)
    (5) Anti-fungal (neem oil)
    (6) Coco peat, vermicompost etc

I went to this shop in Indiranagar (12th main), in the same complex as orange bicycle. The shop's called green essence. Any other shop you might recommend?

14. there's a very similar one in jaymahal called my sunny balcony - i go there because i feel their worm compost is quality and it's cheap...they also sell goat manure mixed with red mud so i get that there as well...you should also check out the nursery behind cafe coffee day on jeevanbhimanagar main road, esp for pots and stuff - dirt cheap. bone meal, neem cake, all are dirt cheap.

15. Instead of getting and mixing all that shit all you need is roots organic 707 go to eastwesthydro.com. they have it cheap like 3 cubic feet for 39 usd. Get great results

16. i highly doubt it'll come to india without paying more than double including shipping...man you could always go to GKVK near allasandra...theres a nice place in hesseraghatta as well...i just need to find time to go that far...and patience to sit through traffic back...

17. and either paint those walls white or line it with the film they use on the windshield of cars to reflect sunlight...those fit nice and do the job...

18. Day 13-14

Got really hot here, and the plants ended up yellow and dry at the tips. Been ventilating like crazy, and the situation looks under control now. I am planning to cover the space with white paper. There is already enough light though. I moved back the lights an inch, because of the heat issues.

LSD: This really took the heat impact. The veins look brown because I accidentally got some mud on the plant while transplanting.

[​IMG]

AK 48:
    Again - two leaves yellowing at the tips.

[​IMG]

The yellowing has slowed down, and I hope it stays that way. Growth hasn't slowed noticeably either.

I will be checking out a few places this weekend for more grow material. Any ideas on how I can keep the temperatures lower? The weather has gotten a lot better, but inside the grow-box, it's always 3-4 degrees higher. I am thinking of putting an ice tray in front of a small fan/blower.

19. the same thing happened to my indoor plants...the bottom leaves just get fried...i really doubt it's heat, becase i've tried taking care of that...it appears to be some sort of moisture stress though, and i think it could also be too much light?? i have no idea man indoors is not my forte

20. it happens to EVERY plant i grow indoors though...