Which Oaksterdam Clone?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by cripes0103, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Hey guys, I was just wondering which Oaksterdam clone you would suggest if I am looking for a high yielding strain with a short (preferably 9 week max) flower time. The current menu is:

Blue Dream
    Blue Sky Cotton Candy
    Casey Jones
    Granddaddy Purple - Limited Availability
    Green Cush
    Hindu Skunk
    Kryptonite - Limited Availability
    Kushage
    Mango
    Mazar - Limited Availability
    Mendo Afgoo
    Odyssey
    OG Kush - Limited Availability
    Purple Kush
    Querkle - Limited Availability
    Sour Grapes
    Sweet Tooth
    White Widow
    XJ13

By the way, if anyone has any suggestions for other places I should look for clones in either the Downtown LA area or the SF Bay area, I am open to options other than Oaksterdam.

2. I want the Mazar really bad- yields are good on this plant

If you remember the skywalker going around L.A. a while back- Mazar is one of the mothers.

It is also a mother of the barney's farm LSD, which everybody seems to love.

It should be noted that there are two commercially available types of Mazar (that I know about). One is the Mazar-I-Sharif. Supposed to be huge.

It has an interesting past too:

"A legendary cultivar native to the lowland desert oasis towns of Balkh and Mazar-i-Sharif in the far north of Afghanistan, just beyond the Hindu Kush mountains. This Mazar-i-Sharif cultivar produces the famed sieved charas known as "Shirak-i-Mazar" and "Milk of Mazar". The people of this ancient region are a patchwork of Turkic, Tajik and Pashtun tribes, and the history of Mazar-i-Sharif cultivars is likely to be equally complex. Mazar-i-Sharif cultivars enjoy cold conditions and will turn a deep blood red in low temperatures, as when left for harvest in November in the Mazar region. Certain chemotypes are very likely to be high in CBD, a cannabinoid known to be of great medicinal value. Cultivars from this line typically have very good potency, and killer specimens are there for the finding. Resin production is excellent, and yields can also be superb. The best Mazar-i-Sharif sieved charas has a rich hashy aroma and a decadently mellow high, relaxing body and mind in a blissfully illuminating and satisfying state of total and utter stonedness. This line has been described by old hands as just like the Afghan genetics brought back West during the days of the Hippy Trail, with one pleased customer saying describing his experience with this Mazar as "like being transported back to the '70s". As with the old Afghan strains, phenotypes are quite variable, with some expressions well suited for indoor cultivation." (therealseedcompany.com)

BTW Charas is handrolled hash, usually smoked in a chillum.

The other type is referred to simply as "Mazar", and is considered a watered-down version (genetically). This type might be more suitable for indoor growing, as it is bred smaller.

However i've heard from some (seasoned) smokers that the "Mazar" high lacks dimension.

I am growing the Hindu Skunk outdoors (LST in soil) and its doing great. I have it in MG continuous fertilizer soil like an idiot, so it has not been a terribly fast grower for me (perhaps stunted). Budding has just begun and i'm excited for the coming months.

Where i'm at, the Kryptonite flies off the shelves- seems to be popular. Never smoked it though.

Blue Dream is a good yielder, and finishes reasonably quickly. Its high is strong and very awake. I smoked it about a month ago and sat on my balcony on a sunny day and zoned out, just thinking about stuff, just staring at the trees sway in the breeze. Lights became subtly brighter after smoking. I remember appreciating the way the light came through the leaves and how the trees seemed to slowly rock back and forth. It was just like coming up on acid or kind of like the "slow-mo" vision that comes from nitrous. It is a really fun strain to smoke, but even as a heavy daily smoker I find it too strong to smoke all day. However its something I would love to have maybe once or twice a week. Its almost too exhausting to be that awake and that twisted. This is likely different between people- this only represents how it feels for me. I love sativas, but this sativa isn't "light and energizing" by any means.

Smoked the Green Cush a few times- I really liked it. Well-rounded high without being flat.

The Querkle is a great yielder. Looks great. Friend of mine grew it, but I never got around to smoking it.

But honestly, the most appealing to me on that list is the Mendo Afgoo- i'd be willing to bet thats a great plant. Thats the one I want.

3. Mendo Afgoo....

4. Kind - +rep for giving such a detailed post.

Looks like the favorite so far is Mendo Afgoo. Does anyone know the genetics here? Obviously Afgoo x ??? Mendo Purps? Or is this just a cut of Afgoo coming from Mendocino?

5. white widow simply because it is the oldest cross out of all you mentioned. for me i love keeping the older strains going.:smoke:

6. Yeah, I gotta say, from the get-go Querkle has interested me. I'm also leaning towards Casey Jones, just because I love TW and Sour D so much.

7. The Querkle seeds are kinda pricey for me atm. Theres a collective that gets Oaksterdam clones and might see if they have any of the Querkle clones in. If you can get them directly from Oaksterdam in Oakland thats what I would do, I`d love to take a trip there for one of their weekend classes and browse their clone selection.

8. Yeah, living in the Bay Area does have some advantages, haha. Anyone else have any input? I still have about a month before I actually start growing, so I'd love to keep this thread active until then, get as much feedback as possible.

9. I have grown their WW, Querkle, GDP, PK, Hindu Skunk, and Sour Grapes before and wasn't too happy with any of them. The hindu skunk had a heavy yield though, about 1.5 lbs per light (1000W). The smoke was decent as well. A friend of mine got their Blue Dream and is about 2 weeks from finish and I am quite impressed. Looks like a bigger producer than the hindu and has a sweet smell and looks very cool as well. I am going to give the BD a try for my next grow.

I haven't been to the dispensaries in Oakland for a while but a lot of folks say good things about the selection over at Harborside?? Not sure though. Peace

10. Mango Mendo Afgoo

11. Hey, thanks for the info, its good to hear from someone with firsthand experience. If you wouldn't mind, could you elaborate on what exactly you didn't like about the plants you tried? And I've been lookin at Harborside, but I've heard that they don't have the greatest clones. This isn't from first hand experience though, so maybe I'll have to swing by there to check things out myself

Jesse - thanks for the input.

12. The WW grew very small buds that looked great, but had hardened ovules in the flowers that gave it a seedy taste. The querkle grew nice, purple buds but very small yield. The GDP was okay, but had smaller buds and less flavor than other GDP clones I got from friends and such. The PK was similar to the querkle in yield, small, but had a nice flavor. The hindu skunk had a very nice yield, but not much smell or flavor and not very potent. The sour grapes was also small, but had a decent flavor.

Sorry it's not too elaborate, but its basically what I remember from trying them all out. After tons of strains tested (in bubble buckets) I went with SOMA Lavender from a friend. It grew decent yields (1-1.5 elbows or so per 1000W) and had a nice reddish purple tinge on the buds and tasted great. But recently I have been growing OG Kush (Larry Cut, from a friend) and really love the flavor and potency. However, this cut is very, very lanky and will get 10+ feet tall if not trained well.

Good luck on your strain hunt! Peace

13. Thanks for all the input Dr, from the way you make it sound I should be checking out other sources for clones. Can you suggest anywhere between Sonoma and Long Beach that would have some high quality clones? I drive between the two cities quite often so it wouldn't be much trouble for me to stop off at a dispensary on my way from one city to the other.

14. Casey Jones or Blue Dream. IMO

Blue dream is wayyyyy easy to grow. growing 8 now, 3 are in bud.

sorry for the newb thread jack question but is afgan goo and afgoo the same strain. i have 5 afgan goos.

15. Yeah, both of those sound good, I'm just hesitant to run anything sativa based since I get tired of sativas quite quickly, but the Casey Jones almost sounds like my dream strain, haha.

Unfortunately I can't give you an educated answer, but if I had to take a wild guess I'd say they are the same. And don't worry about the thread jack, I hope someone else can answer your question better than I can.

16. There is a clone-only collective in long beach called people's nursery care (PNC)

they have a huge selection of clones, including the following:

F13
    headband
    bubba-licious
    chem d
    sour grapes
    la cheese
    god bud
    green crack
    mendo afgoo
    hindu skunk
    white widow
    banana gum
    galaxy dog
    purp kush
    angel tear kush
    cat piss
    mk ultra
    hashmaster
    bubba kush
    pure banana (pure kush x banana og)
    dabney blue berry
    salmon creek big bud
    93 super skunk
    top dawg
    silver kush
    mk ultr4a
    sour bubble
    super silver haze
    shit
    aliendog
    sfv og (cali connect)
    c99 (pineapple)
    og kush (sac #2)

17. Try Harborside Oakland (not San Jose). Lots of different types, I've always had a great time with them. The only strain I've tried from Oaksterdam (via Blue Sky) was the Mazar. I thought it was crap personally.

18. Well with the suggestions from EVERYONE I guess I'll be moving away from Oaksterdam clones. Thanks for the suggestions Kind and MV, I'll check up on those.

19. Really Ive got a few mazar in flower, as well as odyssey, and cut some down that went into flower earlier about 2 weeks ago and I think that its great, its covered in crystals, has a nice lemon candy smell, and the high was nice, what did you not like about it, to me it beat out the odyssey in every way except in high.