Which light to use

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Free Money, Sep 20, 2010.

1. I've read quite a few threads on growing in general and on lighting in specific, but I have a specific question that I'm hoping a veteran could help out with. Theoretically speaking, which would be a better option during the vegetative stage for growing one plant in a small area: a 70 watt metal halide, or 300 watt worth of soft white CFLs? I know that MH is generally better because of the spectrum of light, but at some point there has to be a trade off where more wattage is better, right? And I am also aware that daylight CFLs would be better for the vegetative stage, but that would just be too easy. So which is it, low wattage MH, or high wattage soft white CFL?

2. WTF why dont you just get daylights? Soft whites are better for flowering dude, it's all about spectrums and lumens; at least 10,000 lumens for a plant, 6500k spectrum (blue light) for veg and 2500-2700k (red light) for flower. I personally use CFL's rather than mh for veg just cause they are cheaper and easier to keep temps down or young plants.

3. Is that 300 actual watts of CFL or "equivalent" watts? What wattage (actual) per CFL bulb?

4. toastybiz: it's 312 watts of actual wattage, so I think that's 1200 watts of equivalent. It would be twelve 26 watt CFLs. 1750 lumens per bulb, so I believe that's 21,000 total lumens.

I don't just fuckin get daylights because in order to "just get" them, I would have to "just pay" for them. I would prefer to avoid spending $40 more on bulbs. That's kind of why I asked this specific question, and why I mentioned that I know daylights are better for veg. So although I appreciate you reiterating what I already know, if you were going with the two options I gave which would be better?

And to cut you off before you follow up by telling me that my results wouldn't be as good with soft white as with daylight, I am already aware of that. But I'm sure my results also wouldn't be as good with CFL as with MH and HPS. And my results probably wouldn't be as good with organic miracle grow soil as with Fox Farm ocean forest. And I would probably get better results by setting up a dedicated greenhouse rather than trying to grow in a limited space. But I don't want to do any of those things.