Which job should i take?

Discussion in 'General' started by nile1, Jun 11, 2009.

1. I've been working at a restuarant as a busboy for over a year making 7.15 hourly but make an additional 25-30 per night. I work friday and saturday nights from 5 to 830. Basically i make 100 dollars a week.

My mom wants me to work in a recently opened position at her office where i'd be doing secretery work (not my style at all) and would be making 12.50 an hour on the books and 15 hours a week.

so 100 for 7 hours or 150 for 15.

My mom is being very insistant that the position at her job is better because it is on the books and legal yadayada but do you guys think i should be practically demanded to quit a job for one that pays less on the hourly basis?

2. If it's not your style don't do it but there's nothin wrong with learnin somthn new. Any chance of having both yobs?

3. yea but it would mean working 6 days a week and being a fulltime student

4. I hate being a busboy, did that for a summer and it blew, but if you like it stick with it.

5. And there are a lot of people, like myself, who are full-time students and hold down full-time jobs.

Honestly, if you can work both, you should. A bit of extra money in your pocket and the sense of responsibility it'll give you is worth it.

6. The one that pays more for less work seems like an obvious choice, but an office job would look better on a resume in the future. If you are not worried about stuff like that at the moment I would just take the one with least hours.

Edit: If it was me personally I would take the poster above me's advice and work both of them, but I like money and don't mind working my ass off for it.

7. lol i felt like i was trying to solve a math problem but im too stoned :smoking:

8. Secretary work would give you experience for later jobs in an office setting (which might not seem like much now but could really help you uin the future). Seems like it has the most potential for advancement. Busboy is bottom of the barrel of jobs. If you are able bodied you can be a busboy...

9. Man, I used to bus tables. I moved up though... is dishwashing considered advancement?

MAN! If you make $30 a night, that can buy you weed WHENEVER.

What are your expenses? Got a cell phone? Car insurance?

If you don't have many bills, and office work ain't yo thang, I'd say stay busing tables.

What restaurant is it? Maybe you could dish wash? I know, I thought it was bad too... but then I did it and I like it more. Plus, I get paid more, get a lot more hours, and I still get a monthly tip of roughly $50-$60.

It's your call.

10. i thought busboys were dishwashers..

11. I do :)

12. If you slack off at the restaurant, your boss will give you shit or write you up. Worst case scenario you get fired.

If you slack off when working for your mom, you will NEVER HEAR THE END OF IT.

Something to consider.

13. All I will say is that the secratery job is a job you can get a good refferance from in future(Yer Ma) and looks better on a resume then bus boy.

Without a doubt you will have no trouble spending that extra money you would make if you worked at your mom's office.

But... it would kinda make you into a mommas boy:rolleyes:

14. keep you non legal higher paying job if you are a student as you sya you will need all the money you can get

plus they cant tax it if its not on the books

15. I don't think I'd want to work at the same place as my mother.

16. Keep your current job, she just want to keep you under her thumb.

17. More money, more weed.

18. I'd personally go for the job that gives you a bigger paycheck every week. Even if you have to work a little more. That's just me though. Save it up. In this economy you could use all the money you can get.

But really just take whatever one you think you'll be happier with.

19. Wait $12.50 x 15 hours is $187.50

compared to...

$7.15 x 7 hours (3.5 hours each for 2 nights) is $50.05.....+ $30 tips is $80.05

dude $187.50 compared to $80.05.....is there even a question? And the $80.05 isn't even guarenteed....the $50 is.....the tips though, you could be stiffed bad.

And now you can get back your friday and saturday nights, since offices close after like 5. Big deal you'll see your mom a bit, but you basically fax papers, and answer phones, I've done it before, as part of a graphics art job I had, easy as shit.

Office job ftw.

20. Office job FTW! ^^

A 15 hour a week office job is a sweet deal. Boring work, but easy as hell, and your not there long enough every day to get sick of it.

Plus you might get some easy promotions through your mom, I dunno how you feel about that, lol:D