Which is more important...?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by bkadoctaj, Nov 13, 2008.

1. I doubt there is a difference between the two.

2. "That which you do know is no good; that which you do not know is a great hindrance to you." -Cicero

3. thats a hard one..
    i dont want to know but sometimes u just gotta have to know...

4. Whatever happened to the "both" option.
    This world isn't one of absolutes you know. :)

5. Absolutely?

6. The substance of his polls rely on the struggling duality of man, 'both' is a cop out :p

7. What you know impacts you more than what you don't know in my opinion.

8. #9 xchuyx122, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2008
    What you do know leaves you curious.

Knowing what you know means:

You know you dont know everything

It leaves you, or at least me, wanting to know more.

So by knowing, you become interested in the unknown.

Hence this part of the forums

Broke it down so you can understand all the knows :smoke:

9. Excellent. :)

10. #11 HighGrowMan, Nov 14, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
    hello mr. burns....

what you do know is of no real consequence, as knowing isn't doing.

What you don't know only matters when you think you know something.

... but to play along...

knowing and not knowing... it's a circle. You can never know, but to know how to know

even if you do know how to know you can forget

or become victim of doubt

11. ignorance is bliss?

12. I think bliss is bliss...

It's like standing on water. You are not ignorant that it is there, but you are in bliss so you don't need to worry about it.

13. What you know defines who you are, what you don't know defines who you will become, and once you become what you will become you will know what you did'nt know, What you know is more important.

Sorry it looks like a poem its the only way I caould make it work

14. Interesting analogy... :) Do you believe enlightenment has anything to do with knowing how little we know and knowing there is a distinction between that and not knowing how much we know?

15. I'm of the personal conviction that I know very little, asides from the fact that I exist in some form or another. The rest of my life is just a conjecture of beliefs and attitudes that I have derived from experience in order to function in this reality. My only justification for my belief is my experience, but I concede that all experience can be highly untruthful. I know nothing.

16. Mmhmm :)

17. I went with what you do know is more important. You don't know what you don't know so you can't know how what you don't know has affected you.

Probably too simple of an example: Let's say you didn't know you could get hit by a car if you play in the street... well, you can only get hit by a car so many times before you will know playing in the street is unsafe. But if someone tells you beforehand that you could get hit by a car playing in the street, then you will have a little piece of knowledge that will be a lifetime of use.

Getting hit by a car maybe a greater experience, but not playing in the street is important information.

Or something like that.

18. #19 pavlakos, Nov 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2008
    this.

edit: but at the same time you need both if you have any goals which need be accomplished. both previous knowledge and more intel on your topic gives you a better understanding of what youre dealing with. therefore i will not vote, since both aspects are required. you cannot have the absence of knowledge without knowing that there is knowledge to be learned.

19. wonderfully said