Which is better more or less plants per sqft

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by rizz0, Jan 27, 2009.

1. I have been reading as many posts as possible for the past week or so. I have yet to see someone growing like my friend is wanting to. He is wanting to setup 3 1000k lights hanging over 3 5'x5' areas. Each area will have 5 plants in dirt. Every other person in here is sqeezing 20 plants or so into a 5'x5' area. Is it better to have a lot of plants in an area or less and let them grow bigger to get the most yield per sqft as possible? I am starting to thinik this is a big waste of electricity going this route.

2. The choice is yours, I used to grow sativa's and let them get huge. My yeild was huge but took a long time between harvest. I think 3x 1000w is alot of power to use if you are new to growing but the more light the better if its not just wasted. I now grow indica's which are smaller and flower faster so yeild is smaller but harvest are much more often.

You should look into a SOG grow, do a search.

3. look at it this way,

more plants per foot will give u many plants but they are small.
    or
    less plants per foot but they will be bigger.

So u could end up with about the same yield.
    The biggest advantage with less plants but bigger is:

1) less plants, in a legal sense this is better than more plants as you can argue it's for personal use.

2)1 or 2 largew plants are easier to maintain and harvest that 5-6 small plants.

Hope this helps:rolleyes:

4. It goes the other way too with large plants, if something happens to one of them, like say.. one goes hermi that is a much larger portion of your crop that is affected.

Bottom line is more plants = more work.

5. Ah the eternal question. This question has been debated by many growers on this site and I'm sure since time began. There is no definitive answer, it's all about finding that perfect balance. It seems like every crop I try something new. That is what is cool about growing, constantly trying to maximize the space and light available. One thing you need to consider is the length of the grow cycle and how many harvests you get per year. For example it may be better to have a smaller yield and shorter grow cyle if you can harvest 2 more times a year.

6. #7 Duckhead, Jan 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2009