Which Films (or games) have been the biggest influences in your lives?

Discussion in 'General' started by Digit, Nov 4, 2004.

1. i was just thinking how heavy an impact fightclub had on me from all the fucked up things that have been tied to it.

may the force be with you guysssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :wave:

which films have been your biggest influences recently? (past 30 years preferably, so the young uns can understand) ;)

edit-
    disclaimer: it was not the movie's influence that made me break my personal oath of pacifism/non-violence, it was a childhood bad memory in a moment of taking a beating to make a point that made me snap under the pressure while inebriated on alcohol, and, moment of weak minded retaliation when enduring a migraine. i think i was trying to quit Dr Pepper still then. no one really hurt either time... minor cuts & bruises. i think i took more than i gave each time, i just let rip in single blows. lol. ... :( yeah, thats why i decided to be a pacifist. its a dangerous way of letting rip. I'm not keen on waiting around for the game... i like to hit the next phase ASAP. people call it lazy!? its efficient! for example, why go for something thats a little bit better when you could go to what you think is best! mwuhahahaha, Sleep D in da house! ;) :devious: got woke up toooooo early last night/evening, hence the ramble. hope you didnt actually bother to read it expecting any point or coherence. :rolleyes:

2. :rolleyes:
    Couldn't put that at the very beginning, could you? Geez!

;)

I'll have to think about this one. I don't have time or brain power right now. :p

3. Friday the movie...
    ill get back with a video game

4. Actaually it was a book: The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy...

Taught me to not take myself and the world too seriously, to look at things from several different angles, and that no matter what happens, you'll always get through it...just remember your towel

5. Pulp Fiction.
    Nuff Said.

Actualy its tied with the big lebowski.

6. the damn library didn't have that book when i was looking for it last night :(

as for movies.. hmmm it would probably be american beauty off the top of my head.. but there are other movies like gattaca and the shawshank redemption

7. Blow

every time i see it i always think about how easily u can get stripped of your life.....

8. American Beauty.

Besides being an incredibly well-directed (Sam Mendes), well-written (Alan Ball), and well-acted (Kevin Spacey is amazing here!) film.....haha, can you tell I'm a film major? I also love the way it presents moments of beautiful peaceful scenes alongside dark ugly heartwrenching ones. And the mixing of drama with comedy.

Anyway, I think it's amazing because it teaches me the lesson that life is inherently fucked up, but in order to not be overwhelmed by the badness of it, you have to appreciate the little things that make you happy. Find something you're passionate about, and do it, and it won't matter how fucked up everything else is. This is totally the way I see life, and I think it's a good lesson.

The speech Spacey gives in the voiceover at the end of the movie almost makes me cry every time.

Such a beautiful film. :D

9. okay the two movies that affected me? hmmmmm well they are my two favorite movies of all time 1st being DUMB & DUMBER!!! 2nd being OFFICE SPACE i get all my terminology from those movies and they just effected the way i speak to people....like when some does something i don't like i say something like "yeeeeeeeahhhh UHHhhhhhh I'm GONNaa neeeeed you to go AHEAD and stop...MMMMMK?????? THANKS!!!" if you have seen office space then you can certainly figure that one out real quick (Bill Lumberg.....Peter's boss) that guy is so fucking hilarious!!!!!! omg!!!! i just can't get over his hilariousness!!!! if you havn't watched office space you must go to the video store and RENT IT (or buy it :smoking: ) games? nah not really they are fun as fuck can't wait until HALO 2 :wave:

::::::::edit:::::::::

OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT TO PUT THIS!!!!

The Butterfly effect.....that movie was sooooo off the chain.....first time i saw it......speechless.....that movie made me think sooo hard about my life's decisions as a kid and as a teenager....its soo depressing and dark i love love love that movie and that would rank number 3......i also support the chaos theory soo much (which is what the movie is based off from)

(taking a look at my post...its massive but its a worth to read i think :hello: ) i really and honestly reccomend seeing all these movies

10. I really want to comment on this, but at the moment I know I will forget to include a lot of them, so I'll just "start" my list. Most of them are books though, since I read more than I do anything else.

Stranger in a Strange Land (Book) taught me to look past the fabrications of life and try to see it for what it really is, not what it is presented to be.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy & The Hobbit (also books) taught me to fight hard for what I believe in despite the consequences, and to know that the win is worth the loss... it also sparked my creative side.

The Never ending story (also book, so much is missing in the movie) taught me to never forget my fantasies, they are alive with me, they are a part of me, and just because I have grown up does not mean I should abandon that part of myself, it is just as valuable and passionate as it was as a child.

What Dreams May Come helped me to develop my beliefs that Heaven, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, it is different for each person, and it helped me on my road to finding my true beliefs, not just what was force fed to me as a child.

These are just a few of the many, many influences I have had based on books, movies, games, music and other artistic creations. Maybe I'll list more later...

P.S. This is a great thread in my opinion, thank you for starting it.

11. Hey all,
    -For a video game i think morrowind has had the largest effect on me
    -for a movie, final fantasy the spirts within
    thats all i can think of right now, laters

12. yeah morrowind was very great game!!!! I LOVED IT

13. Dogtown and Z Boys, the film really gave me insight into skating back in the 70's, and made me love the sport i do with even more passion.
    I realised that you dont have to stick to the modern day style of street skating, going back to skateboardings roots its a lot of fun aswell, especially carving around.

14. Good movie...I like old school skating...I still do boneless, no complies and stuff like that...

15. Man, you're gonna love that (those) book(s)!!!

And the funny thing is, if you look closely, you'll constantly be reminded of this because there are so many people out there referring to that book...it's kinda a lifetime experience...

Like..I was walking through Barcelona, kinda tired, and someone had painted the number 42 on his car. That wasn't coincidence and it just about made my day...

There used to be a member on here who called himself "thnx4fish"...that was taken from the same book...

And the towel....damn that shows up everywhere...on the web, in songs, movie conversations, everywhere

You'll understand when you read the book :D

16. Platoon - Made me realize how fucked up our world is.