Where is mylar in home depot?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by CFLdorm, Jan 12, 2007.

1. Just as the title says. Any help is appreciated.
    thanks,
    me.

2. Just ask an employee.

3. i don't think they stock it. at least the one in my town doesn't, and when they checked their computer, it wasn't in there which i think means no home depots have it.

4. Home Depot is a store for Building/Repairing/Remodeling homes and items in the home not a Horticulture or Botanical Depot.

5. Gotta go to a plant store

6. wal-mart stocks mylar in the camping section they call it emergany blankets

7. the silver/ect colored gift wrapping shit (mostly used for flowers gift baskets ect)

any hallmark target whatever will prolly have the stuff it's thin ass mylar so you'll need to double stick or spray on adhesive to get it smooth enough

8. Yes -- WalMart, hydro shops, certain wrapping paper, or you could google "mylar roll" and get tons of internet sellers.

9. oh man its just that wrapping stuff?? thats hella cheap then right?

10. Cheap mylar is gift wrap, emergency blankets, even the inside of potato chip bags. These are OK but have seams, creases, are thin and hard to handle, etc. The easiest is by the roll, about $20 online.

11. Home Depot DOES carry Mylar, but it's not packaged under that name. Mylar is a registered name not what the actual product is.....Naming an invention actually involves developing at least two names. One name is the generic name. The other name is the brand name or trademark. For example, Mylar ® and Teijin ® are brand names; polyester film or polyethylene terephthalate are the generic or product names.Home Depot carries Mylar packaged as this.....http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/...atchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&s=true

12. That link shows all the clear plastic sheeting that they sell.
    Where's the mylar?

Just get a gallon of Flat White Paint. (A brilliant or decorator white is best)
    It's ALMOST as reflective as mylar and a WHOLE LOT easier to keep clean.

Oh yeah, it's also CHEAP! :)

13. #13 dodobird, Feb 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2009
    My room is painted with flat white paint..i'm just helping this thread out.The drop sheets/vapour barrier at Home Depot are made from polyethylene..same crap as mylar. It's even in the Marijuana Bible by Jorge Cervantes.You can get 10' x 25' not on sale for $9.89. Gallon of paint is around $20.00.

14. He asked about Mylar.

To answer your question, no Home depot doe not carry Mylar.
    Target and walmart do though.

Head to the Outdoors section and pick up a emergency blanket, its 2 bucks or so.

15. #15 dodobird, Feb 5, 2009
    Oh i noticed you changed your message to read a little nicer....hahaWell excuse me bud...sorry to shit on your cornflakes, but I was just merely suggesting an alternative. I'm assuming the op wants a cheaper alternative to the Hydroponics store or he would just go there and buy it.Home Depot does sell Mylar and for a fraction of the cost. Read my first thread about what Mylar is. Mylar is the brand name not what the actual product is made of. Mylar is actually Polyethylene. So you're saying Jorge Cervantes is wrong...hmm.ARTICLE FROM RONA BUILDING SUPPLIES:Types of vapour barriers The vapour barrier is not to be mistaken for air barrier material that covers the outside of the intermediate envelope of the building (fibreboard). Its function is to stop much of the air movement through the building walls while still allowing what water vapour that does get in to diffuse back out again. The vapour barrier ensures a waterproof barrier between the exterior and interior of the house. It is installed over the insulation. This 6 mil (0.15 mm) thick POLYETHYLENE CGSB membrane is sold in rolls 8 or 12 feet wide to match wall height. VAPOUR BARRIER (Polyethylene) - Mylar ReplacementDROP SHEETS (Polyethylene, but not as reflective) - White Paint Replacement

16. #16 Smokey-eyes77, Feb 5, 2009
    You came no where close so no worries.

I guess ruffle your own feathers XD
    I didn't know we had enter a heated debate on Mylar o.o

Im no expert on all this like yourself, so ill just shut up about it.
    EDIT:After actually reading your post all you did was copy and paste....

To op, I didn't fuck with all the bulk shit at home depot(plus from that link even the blankets there cost more than at target or walmart)instead I took the advice of the worker at home depot and went to target got 2 blankets that are 6ft X8ft or so for 3 bucks clean.
    Works fine gets the job done:smoke:

17. Great guy..... but yeah, he has a lot of not quite accurate information he passes on.

We're looking for reflectivity.

The 20$ can of paint will last through 40 rolls of mylar. Yes, it's cheaper.

Mylar is also high maintenence, creases, scratches when you wash dirt off of it and takes forever to take down and put up. (without spending a fortune on nifty velcro or other fastening ideas)

Mylar is excellent, yes but paint is much more durable and hassle free. (The extra also stores well and you can put on a fresh coat each year in no time)

If you still want cheap mylar, get gift wrap. If you want something cheaper that's not quite as reflective..... get drop sheets.

18. Im glad someone agrees with me on this one.

19. It may be 5 years old, but this poster's attitude is annoying.
    Home Depot sells A LOT of stuff used in a grow op.
    They sell timers, electrical cords and power strips, tubing, PVC, valves, drip fittings, water pumps, air pumps, flexible ducting, 6 or 8 inch sheet-metal ducting, blowers and fans, .....and YES MYLAR!

The website says it is ONLINE ONLY tho.....:cool: