Where do i cut my plant to make it bushy?

Discussion in 'Plant Training' started by Cr3224, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Hi guys this is my first time growing and i purchased a clone about a week and a half ago and i was wondering where i should top it to make it bushy

Attached Files:

2. Cutting the very top offf will make it bush out and grow two new tops .
    Anythime above the 4 th node is the rule , I guesss .
    I am concerned because your plant is so dang skinny , not sur it could hold growth . You fan should be rustling the leaves , stimulating the stem to thicken up ..
    Looks like you light is too dim , too far away , or both . Th e bottom clump of leaves shows it was a great clone growing nodes that were close together , above that the plant is lanky ( ungracefully thin and tall. ). a bad thing , which is due to insufficient light and started when you brought it home and put in under poor lighting .
    If you don't get better light on it , it will continue to be lanky , and won't produce much buds .

• Like Like x 1
  3. How far away is your light? That is the first thing I'd be considering here, looks to be stretching quite a bit. You could try and fim the new growth or tie down the branches. Personally, I'd let her grow a bit more with the light closer, then cut her at about where she starts to tighten up her nodes, then do some mainlining on it. Would be interesting.

4. Good stuff from DF & WW, above. And another question, what IS your light? Color rendering in your pic's kinda sorta looks like an LED but what type and wattage? Reason for asking is to recommend the proper distance from the top of your plant.
    About topping, this is typically done at the very top of the plant, where new leaf growth is occurring. Look down into the top closely. You will see two new leaves that have already opened, and a new set of leaves forming but not open yet. Cut out the new leaf growth that has not opened, as close to the opened leaves as you can get.

A more general comment about your plant. Cannabis usually grows with opposing branches to a node, meaning that two leaves/branches will form at the same position on the trunk, but on opposing sides. This type of growth is easiest to top using the above described method.
    But some plants, most notably clones from a mother plant that has been kept for an extended period, will start exhibiting alternating nodes. This means only one leaf / branch will appear at a position on the trunk. The next leaf / branch will be higher up. Your clone falls into this category. It's worth noting this does not seem to affect yield at all, but it can sometimes make topping a bit more aggravating. Try the above method anyway. It will sometimes result in two new top leaders when growth resumes.
    But some alternating-node plants won't respond to topping. They will simply grow one new leader to continue in place of the one you topped. It slows down plant growth while recovering for a few days, but doesn't accomplish the two (or more) main leaders you are trying to encourage. If this happens you can drop down to a lower node and cut the top leader just above the leaf / branch at that lower node. Or if that sounds confusing, you're not "topping" the plant, instead you are removing one or two nodes, just above an already-established node. This method will usually encourage the two nodes that are closest to the top, to try to become dominant, resulting in two new top leaders.
    And if all this fails, there's always low stress training (LST). Put simply, this is bending and tying the plant in a fashion that encourages the side branches to become multiple tops. When done properly, many side branches can be trained to grow into main colas. I have a Blimburn Seeds' Mamba Negra auto in training now, that has developed (15) top nodes, all trained to a nice even top canopy. It REALLY works wonders. For auto-flowering strains, LST is the only way to go, and will result in much higher yields than any of the other methods. And it works wonders for regular photoperiod strains as well.
    Here's a link to a tutorial I did awhile back on LST. It's easy reading with pictures, and very detailed as well.
    **No time for a Journal? Update here.. Any skill level welcome**
    Scroll down to post # 11973 and read away.

Welcome to the City. Hope this helps & bestaluck to ya.

5. It's all about the lighting you grow your plant under, from day #1 to harvest. The better quality and stronger lighting you have for your plant, the better the plant will grow and produce. Make sure you understand how to tend the plant to make it grow best. Drainage is big time important and if your soil isn't just loaded up with perlite, you don't have enough in it. Read the "sticky's" posted at the top of the beginner grower thread on the forums page. The basic "how to keep the plant happy" tried and true info is in those threads. Once you understand the basics, making the plant grow better and look better becomes possible. You have to know how to tend it just like you have to have the right setup to really grow a good one out. And, just for the record, CFLs suck to flower with. We veg with T5's and would rather put in HID because the root development is killer good, but then there is the heat issue to deal with...so we've just stayed with T5's. They do well, but we flower with 4000 watts of hps per room and flower from12 to 16 plants...depending on the size of the plants. Each plant needs enough space and you just shoot yourself in the foot by not giving it what it needs. You can harvest more from one plant that is taken care of properly and given the best conditions than you can trying to flower 4 in the same space. Trust me. LOL Good luck with your plant. But the more you know about what you're trying to do here, the better your experience will be. Luckily, everything one could possibly need to know is already logged here hundreds and hundreds of times. Use the search bar at the top of the "forums" page to pull up threads related to a particular topic and make sure you don't run and do the first thing somebody tells you either. Everybody on these forums aren't at the same level knowledge wise, so it's a good idea to find someone you know has been growing for awhile and knows what they're talking about before you accept too much advice. We have some people on here who are some of the best and they're always willing to help out a beginner. Good luck! TWW

6. Personally I wouldn't bother topping. Seems to slow plant growth for several days. I can see a handle on your pot. Get some pipe cleaners from a dollar store, bend the top over and tie it to the handle. The lower shoots will start shooting up. And as every other reply indicates, work on your lighting, looks weak in pic.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks guys I've taken your advice and this my plant now it's grown tremendously since that day I've got two 300w black star led lights

Attached Files:

8. And here's my other plant which I think actually looks better than the one above it seems to be really bushy and compacted

Attached Files:

9. topping doesnt nessacarily make it really bushy, sometimes it just makes 2 new tops that grow the same rate.. but hey thats why you gotta LST.

10. its easy, just us clips on the side of ur pots and some string, or you can use my favorite, pipe cleaners.. just shape it out and horizontally grow .../

11. you'd be suprised google can answer most of your questions hehe.